Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Just now, TheMightyVillans said:

Surely we don't sign another midfielder if luiz signs a new contract and sanson stays.

I would like to see what Sanson was capable of. He knows Kamara so they could work well as a duo

3 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Surely we don't sign another midfielder if luiz signs a new contract and sanson stays.

Well yes, but is that going to happen? Luiz and Sanson will probably both go.

9 hours ago, tomav84 said:

dread to think what this place is going to be like when the transfer window slams shut and we haven't signed another player

hate to break it to some on here, but that's a very real possibility

i think young signing an extension puts the search for another LB on hold for a start

Why is it? 

• Like 1

If we go into next season with current midfield options i can't see us finishing top half imo.

Kamara was a good defensive upgrade but we need more dynamism in there and someone who can carry the ball, link the play and break the lines with a good range of passing. I think we are going to come unstuck against the teams that play with a low block and not create enough chances.

Frenkie De Jong would be perfect for us shame he'd never come here.

Edited by AshVilla

Even if Luiz signed a new deal, that would leave Nakamba, Luiz, Kamara, Sanson, McGinn, and Jacob Ramsey as senior options, that's six players and we play a three man midfield so that's two players for each midfield option, but then factor in that it's almost certain that Sanson won't be with us next season, then that's just five players for three positions, and if Luiz did sign a new deal I think there's a good chance that we'd also let Nakamba go.

So I don't think Luiz signing a new deal will have any bearings on whether we sign another midfielder or not.

The biggest indication that we will want another midfielder is if you look at our No.8 options, we only actually have Sanson, McGinn, and Ramsey, and Sanson likely to leave, so of course it makes sense for us to bring in another to challenge John and Jacob, people claim Luiz can play there but he's hardly every played there in his whole career, so not sure why people are so sure about that, Chukwuemeka might player there in the long-term, but for now is being used further forward, would still be room for him anyway, if you count him, McGinn, Ramsey, and new signing as the No.8s.

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

You're not breaking it to anyone, that's the reason we're getting annoyed because it is a very real possibility and it gives off the impression that everyone at the club is happy to continue finishing midtable which is where we'll finish if we go into next season with the current squad.

I personally feel we are sadly done for a couple of reasons: 1) Gerrard said he wanted his business done before preseason games started; and 2) there have been no decent links to anyone for at least a month.

The only thing giving me hope is Gerrard said that this summer window would be really exciting for the club (which would contradict what we have done so far) and the fact that we are usually very quiet about who we want so we may be doing a lot of stuff under the radar. 

I'd give the window a 6/10 so far. Certainly not been bad at all as we have signed two quality players in positions we needed to improve, but we still haven't solved Luiz and Carney's contract situations, and need at least one more player to go into the first team (a box to box midfielder) especially if Luiz goes but even if he doesn't. If we were to sell Ings for example and bring in a striker better than Watkins that would improve the window even further and the icing on the cake would be another CB but I don't see this happening and think Mings will be given one more season. We have also only sold Trez, Targett and Kalinic so far and we still have El Ghazi, Davis, Hause (who's now bloomin injured so probably won't get sold) and others on the books. So a 6/10 feels about right. 

It’s possible that’s exactly what the club wants everyone to think, that we are happy with what we have?  That’s what I’d do.  Forces the price up on the players you want out the door and down on those players you want in.  Lange is paid well to ensure no-one really knows what we are planning.  This bluff and double bluff can make or save millions in the transfer window.

• Like 3

A lot of what Preece says doesn't even make sense, says Gerrard will take a look at Luiz and Sanson in pre-season, Gerrard himself has said the players had more than enough time last season to show what they can do and that he knows what needs to be done in the summer, he won't be undecided on whether Sanson and Luiz are part of his plans for next season or not, of course will be different for the likes of Kesler-Hayden, Guilbert, and Archer as they were on loan last summer, so could well be undecided about those.

Also uses Chrisene as a reason why we might not sign another left-back, claiming he's been impressing again this summer, Chrisene is obviously very highly rated, but he's only been back in training a few days so not sure how he's been impressing enough to the point where we might not now bring in another left-back, also bear in mind that he pretty much missed the whole of last season, will probably have another season with our U23s before possibly going out on loan in January, not going to go from missing an whole season at U23 level to being our backup left-back.

• Like 2

Given how long Sanson has been there whilst Gerrard has been in charge, I find it hard to believe that the manager hasn't already made his mind up about him.

Also, I can still see Luiz leaving as I don't think we will want him to leave on a free next summer if we've got a chance of bringing in some money now.

• Like 3

I’d ideally like to see a starter come in to play alongside Ramsey/McGinn. It would be nice to push McGinn further upfield as he’s better there than deep. Someone like a Laimer/De Paul sort of player. I’d also like to get some cover too, especially with the bigger bench and 5 subs ruling. I’ve already mentioned Thuram at Nice but Kone at M’Gladbach would be a decent shout also and both can play DCM/CM. Kamara is our DCM starter but we’d be back to Luiz or Nakamba if he was injured or suspended. A younger upgrade with potential would give us cover whilst we send Iroegbunam out on loan for a season.

43 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think this is extremely negative. We had a really poor start to last season so were playing catch-up. I expect us to be better and at the least beat all 3 promoted teams twice. 

Also we beat Brighton twice last season. 

How is it? It is without my Villa glasses on. we 'should' beat the promoted teams but we struggled last season, we should have beaten Brentford 1st game of the season no excuse, as we had a better squad! But that's football! Playing a promoted side 1st game is ALWAYS a banana skin. 

We have made 2 additions (As someone is bound to say but we have signed 5 players....)  to the squad from last season and unless Stevie is going to play Coutinho and Buendia in the same game i expect pretty much as you were with Mcginn doing a lot of running and blowing out of his ass after 60 mins but not getting subbed. Kamara is not going to hit the ground running, he will take a few games to get up to speed of the premier League. He should become a great player but i fully expect the clowns to be out calling him rubbish after (inset generic number here) games.....

We thought Bailey was going to tear the league up but sadly we signed Mr Glass, we thought Ings was going to bang in 20 goals, how did that turn out?  You cannot predict what Aston Villa team is going to turn up,. We are like a dodgy air conditioning unit we blow hot and cold.... Midfield  and attack still needs addressing IMO if we want to challenge the top 8!

Carlos will be a good  in defense and should be a good fit with Mings. But we still need cover for LB/RB. 

21 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

It’s possible that’s exactly what the club wants everyone to think, that we are happy with what we have?  That’s what I’d do.  Forces the price up on the players you want out the door and down on those players you want in.  Lange is paid well to ensure no-one really knows what we are planning.  This bluff and double bluff can make or save millions in the transfer window.

11.jpg

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Xela said:

I would like to see what Sanson was capable of. He knows Kamara so they could work well as a duo

I know all my mates that I play with on Tuesday. Doesn't make a difference.

28 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Why is it? 

because we've spent big money and gerrard said he wanted his business done before pre season

i think the only way we see new signings is if someone like dougie leaves

25 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

If Luiz won't sign a new deal, pretty sure we'll be pushing him out the door, even for a fee we won't like.

Levy enters the room - i will offer 2M and Eric Dier 🤣

We hear in every interview that we have really ambitious owners. Would love to know what they are saying to the players. Whilst I agree they have done wonders for us. I would argue that we need to spend more to have any chance of getting top 8 

• Like 1

Every club says that they would like their business done before pre-season, that's pretty much stating the obvious but of course it never works out like that, Gerrard also said that we wanted to get as much business done as possible but some deals will take longer and might not happen until towards the end of the window.

Pretty sure that we will sign another two or three players at least and people will look back on this talk of not signing anymore players and wonder what they were talking about. Of course we're going to sign more players, amazes me how much people's thoughts are dictated by what clickbait media says, not just by what they say but also by what they don't say, even when these sites have proven time and time again that they haven't got a clue what's going on.

• Like 3