Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Just now, RicRic said:
Liverpool fans were creaming over a dusty baller like Otavio, the standards are well and truly on the floor amongst our fanbase.

🤦🏽‍♂️ Please villa lets not go there

In fairness.... There are LEVELS between us and Liverpool.

We are probably not even in the same game. Lol

2 minutes ago, RicRic said:
Liverpool fans were creaming over a dusty baller like Otavio, the standards are well and truly on the floor amongst our fanbase.

🤦🏽‍♂️ Please villa lets not go there

Our scouting team should forget about all the data available on players and hire you, using LarryLFC who’s got 174 followers on twitter to judge players. In reply to your Otavio being a RM comment, Bernardo silva. 

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I was only joking the other day when I said bring him home... but what are him and his wife playing at?

Screenshot_20220630-010449_Facebook-min-min.jpg

It’s super random she has that! Make it happen Lange. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Griezmann is available..would you take him..minus the humongous wad of cash needed for his wages?

No, I'm not about buying these older players and he does come with the huge wad of cash needed for his stupid wages.

29 minutes ago, paul514 said:

No, I'm not about buying these older players and he does come with the huge wad of cash needed for his stupid wages.

I actually only just realised he was 31.

For some reason I thought he was circa 25/26!

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I actually only just realised he was 31.

For some reason I thought he was circa 25/26!

probably because he does that stupid celebration dance :P 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In fairness.... There are LEVELS between us and Liverpool.

We are probably not even in the same game. Lol

Id like to not feel like were taking other teams scraps … hate feeling inferior to the teams which we should be on the same level as. I dont mind if they once were interested but had other options but to say he is not good enough and etc makes me feel like a poor club hahah

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Our scouting team should forget about all the data available on players and hire you, using LarryLFC who’s got 174 followers on twitter to judge players. In reply to your Otavio being a RM comment, Bernardo silva. 

They should at least consider im always willing to help 😄

i had this opinion before that Larry guy but just sharing his opinion from their end

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RicRic said:

Because of your guru status i will give that a chance but im still of the idea that we must recruit in this area

wow.....Easy Tiger.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Sounds fair enough! I just think we should go and get a quality striker, I think the club are after another striker.  It’s not about about pessimism it’s about thinking we need a better striker in terms of fit for Gerrard’s system and better quality.  That doesn’t mean Ollie has to go either.

A lot of these players haven’t performed for 18 months under two managers, it got Smith the sack and produced a poor end of season under Gerrard.  Yep, you are more than welcome to give them more time or “clean slate” and I will be as well but if a quality striker option becomes available now then I’d be signing them up anyway.  

I don’t care about individual players anymore after recent years, I care about what the team achieves.  We know players will force a leave if a better opportunity comes in, so if a better player comes available then we should go for it.  Ollie, like the rest of the players, need to deliver and quickly otherwise they will be replaced if they don’t get replaced this summer.  The club aren’t messing around anymore.

Sorry for any misunderstanding, I wasn’t specifically referring to you as pessimistic. More of a general statement yet there have been posters who spread negativity, nothing new here. I just don’t get how anyone can derive any joy from being like that, being a football fan is partly hope and wishing for the best right? Why be intentionally miserable?

We have to be a bit realistic I suppose, without ruling out surprises (such as Coutinho, Kamara & Carlos). 

I’m not overly reliant or in admiration of many individuals either, I agree it’s all about the team and it’s overall success. That’s always the priority. But better players performing to their best will allow that to happen. My mind is focussed on Buendia more than anyone, I rate him very highly and see him as one of our major assets.

I’m not crazy about Ollie but was delighted by how good a signing it turned out to be and it looked like we finally had a quality, dependable striker after so long. I can see his qualities and he’s so tireless and hardworking. Seems a genuinely good, honest lad - it’s nice to have likeable players (makes a change for us! 🤣 considering our not so distant past). I admire him for that.

For where we’re at it’s difficult to have many players who are the finished article or genuinely top class, development and coaching is needed and required. Players can improve…

My personal wish is that we genuinely strengthen and address the balance of the side so that our attackers are more free to produce their best. I want Coutinho and Buendia both in the side and not two CFs. Just imagine the pair of them at their best, it will be so entertaining and that is why I follow this sport & club… I want to be entertained and enjoy seeing my team play well. 

I feel if we get a striker (I’m not averse to it, if we can get better than what we have then that’s great. A young Suarez type would be amazing but I have no idea who) then we will need to offload at least one. We’ve made a big investment in Ings but it’s a complicated situation because who do we start then? And will the other guy be happy coming off the bench? And is that sensible when we’ve invested so much money in him?

I just don’t like this instant gratification and quick fix attitude nowadays and how quickly people turn on players. Again, we expect loyalty from them but how much do we give them in return? They need support and backing too… they’re only human, not robots.

Many are too quick to want to get rid of or turn on players and there is a lack of understanding when it comes to fitness problems, injuries, off the field issues etc. 

I mean, there are people that want to get rid of Bailey… shouldn’t we give the lad more of a chance especially after such an investment? He’s just one example, but do people not realise if we write players off too soon and get rid we are digging a deep financial hole for ourselves? We don’t have a limitless pot of money and if we sell players, we need to at least recoup what we paid but preferably make a profit…

Players aren’t allowed any kind of temporary slump (no matter the reason, whether that’s out of their control or not) nowadays and are seen as expendable almost…

Hey, if it were me I’d probably ditch a few players like Watkins & Ings (so long as good fees were received) and replace them with hugely talented cultured finishers from South America or something, deadly on one on ones etc. beautiful curled finishes and chips & lobs over keepers. But that’s not gonna happen is it? 😆 Aah… the days of Championship Manager! 

Back to reality 😆

I just think we will be in better shape and many of these guys will be able to produce a lot better. We need some stability after a couple of turbulent seasons. That will help the players.

If we add the right quality in the right areas it’s only going to help but it’s important to realise that we do have a lot of talent in the squad and need to get the best out of it. We can’t keep spending like crazy and have little or nothing to show for it.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Wes said:

Born in Brazil, played for their youth national sides, then switched to Portugal in the full national team.

Not for nothing, but Otavio is pretty widely despised by every non-Porto fan in Portugal (when playing for the club). Dives, winds people up, always tries to get the refs attention. Everything and everything.

However, those same non-Porto fans in Portugal love him when he plays for the national side. He is exceptional at applying pressure on the ball and has a tireless work-rate. He would absolutely be a #8 in our system, but could play one of the #10s if needed.

Why did you have to make this post. Now I'm going to be disappointed if we don't sign him

I really can’t see us signing Otavio to play as a number 8. I could be completely wrong, but from what I’ve seen and read, he does most of his best work a little further forward. He almost looks like a hybrid of Coutinho and Buendia in the way he plays and carries himself. 

As good as he looks, I still think we need a number 8 with a bit more of a physical presence in there. 

Either way, he seems to fit the bill with his aggression, determination and undoubted ability. He’s also South American (from what I can gather) so will fit in nicely. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I really can’t see us signing Otavio to play as a number 8. I could be completely wrong, but from what I’ve seen and read, he does most of his best work a little further forward. He almost looks like a hybrid of Coutinho and Buendia in the way he plays and carries himself. 

As good as he looks, I still think we need a number 8 with a bit more of a physical presence in there. 

Either way, he seems to fit the bill with his aggression, determination and undoubted ability. He’s also South American (from what I can gather) so will fit in nicely. 

I agree - I think that my priority would be an 8 who can also play 6 if Kamara is injured / suspended / needs a rest.  Whilst the more attacking midfield option is probably one of JJ or McGinn (possibly Chuk as well). 

If we are signing Otavio then I can only guess that ultimately the view is that the work-rate that he and JJ offer will provide enough cover defensively and that we believe that their strong pressing ability (coupled with those of Emi2) will allow us to win back the ball enough / slow down the opposition.  Offensively, I think JJ and Otavio appear quite different and give us decent options in terms of retaining the ball and / or making progress into the opposition half.  From what I have seen he looks like a player who can slow things down with his good technique and ability to find space when being pressed - but also someone who can make quick, incisive passes and then has good acceleration to get on the return of a 1-2. 

Maybe he's a quicker, more attacking version of Luiz (it looks like he has quicker feet and a bit more zip to his passes)??

Assuming we would line up as Kamara - Otavio / Luiz - JJ / McGinn - it seems like Kamara - Otavio - JJ would be much better at aggressively pressing the ball than our midfield this season.  It feels like they would also be better at playing against a hard press as well.  I can also see them linking in well with Emi2 and Couts and we'd be a pretty darned skillful, attractive team in the opposition half. 

My concerns would be that we would have no obvious back-up for Kamara (unless Tom has a breakthrough season), I don't know how well we would be equipped to deal with a very physical opponent and I have some concerns about whether our striker options are ready for a pinball type attack with lots of quick passes to feet.

• Like 1