Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We have zero chance of signing Nunez. Benfica will demand big money like they did with Joao Felix. 

Plus he will have zero interest to come here 

You’re right, there’s very little chance we would get him, but we need to be going for players of that quality. Keep spunking big money on players because they have had one or two decent season in the championship and we won’t improve enough, I’m not saying they are bad players but we need to aim higher now

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Of the five players you mentioned only Ajer was signed after promotion.

Not sure what you disagree with, is it the importance of Eriksen or technical players in general? In my view Brentford have become almost a new team after Eriksen came, winning five of their last six games. 

I disagree with your inference that our issues are of a technical nature....I don't believe they are, sure we can all do with better technique, but our issues are more fundamental than that.

Is it any surprise a player like Eriksen, brought in to a team with an already resillient platform to play from, who can give him the freedom to play and add that much neede guile, as they say.....build from the back....He has Janelt and Norgaard to do the Insurance work

In contrast, our guy comes in, to play in front of a leaky defence, who do their best to gift goals to opposition teams, with gay abandon.....He then has to look over his shoulder, rather than in front, with confidence.

Centre back is the one I'm most interested to see Gerrards plans.

A change is clearly needed but I'd be loathe to lose either Konsa or Mings. Prior to chambers coming in it was conceivable that we could buy someone like Gomez and they could compete with Konsa. Similarly, it'd be expected to have more competition for Mings next season.

I can't see us though having Gomez replace Mings, he can be good but not sure that's a sure fire upgrade, which is what we need if we deprioritise Mings. So Gomez - if it's him - probably replaces Konsa, and as we've only just got Chambers and we don't need 3 RCB/RB players, Konsa would be sold and not sure I'm ready for that yet.

Mings or Konsa get sold imo and one stays. Konsa has more of his career left and can develop further. Mings is our only leader and very underappreciated.

Is either of:

Gomez-Konsa Or Mings-Gomez

That much better than we have now? I'm not sure we can beat say Newcastle to Botman as they've been after him for a while, that seems a certainty to happen...so do we replace them both?

De-Vrij - Gomez? Sell Konsa and keep Mings as backup with Chambers?

I'm interested to see what happens and I expect to be simultaneously excited and disappointed for losing someone. Hause, I think leaves regardless

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

This will also be how a lot of the transfer window will go

Unfortunately. I find it amazing how people aren’t realising that Newcastle are going to be challenging for titles and trophies. The Saud family run the Middle East. Their egos won’t allow mediocrity. It’s the only country that is named after a person!

They’re going to get around ffp. Probably by doing sponsorship deals with Dubai, Bahrain or Qatar (back together in bed with each other). 

We need to follow the RB Salzburg model and cut out the middleman so to speak and buy raw potential but with the odd Coutinho type. That’s the way we will win the odd trophy but challenging for CL and the league is beyond us atm. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Unfortunately. I find it amazing how people aren’t realising that Newcastle are going to be challenging for titles and trophies. The Saud family run the Middle East. Their egos won’t allow mediocrity. It’s the only country that is named after a person!

They’re going to get around ffp. Probably by doing sponsorship deals with Dubai, Bahrain or Qatar (back together in bed with each other). 

We need to follow the RB Salzburg model and cut out the middleman so to speak and buy raw potential but with the odd Coutinho type. That’s the way we will win the odd trophy but challenging for CL and the league is beyond us atm. 

Pretty much this. Its why I would be more comfortable if Lange had more say on manager and players

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Brentford has conceded 3 goals more than us, and that's despite us shipping 4 against Spurs last week.

I'll thank you to remember points should be supported by incessantly repeating your feelings, not adding facts to the discussion.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

My thoughts exactly. So many overestimating what we can do from our current position when someone like Newcastle are similar with vast amounts more. A lot underestimating them

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

The Saud family run the Middle East. Their egos won’t allow mediocrity. It’s the only country that is named after a person!

Except  Angola. And Armenia. Bangladesh....Colombia. Honestly there are probably loads.

Edited by Davkaus

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Plenty of players out there. 

Yes, we need to be flexible in our signings and not just caught up on the chase of particular players. Until you get to the very top of the pile player wise there are a lot of options.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

This will also be how a lot of the transfer window will go

Rubbish. Newcastle were desperate and no other club was going to pay £40m for him.

Edited by The_Steve

14 hours ago, sne said:

Players the media will try to sell us:

• Suarez
  • Wijnaldum
  • Joe Gomez
  • Bissouma
  • Kalvin Phillips
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain
  • Neco Williams

Examples of players I hope we try for:

• Boubacar Kamara
  • William Saliba
  • Aaron Hickey
  • Karim Adeyemi

A couple of players where there is obvious interest from the club:

Coutinho, Bissouma, Phillips...

Be an interesting summer but my excitement for it has slowly disappeared compared to how it was a couple months ago.Hope we don't hamstrung ourselves with too many big contract to 30 y.o or so players directly linked to Gerrard. Nothing yet apart from paper talk that says this will happen.

I am worried we'll be shopping in the list at the top.

Newcastle's summer will be a resounding success. And not just because of the money, because they'll spend it properly.

Remarkably, they're going to finish above us this season so we're already chasing them. We've lost the one advantage we had in four months.

The noise around "it isn't easy to build a squad... Gerrard needs time" will be shown up big time time by Newcastle buying obviously good players and having a moderately decent coach in Howe.

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Rubbish. Newcastle were desperate and no other club was going to pay £40m for him.

We could and should have. Instead we were loaning an attacking midfielder we didn't need and signing a left back we didn't need.

9 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

My thoughts exactly. So many overestimating what we can do from our current position when someone like Newcastle are similar with vast amounts more. A lot underestimating them

I'm hoping Newcastle will spend a stupid amount of time trying to compete with the likes of Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal et Al for overly ambitious targets. ( This wouldn't surprise me )

Miss out on all of them, then go for the tier under, hopefully by then we will have signed our targets. Then they can just gazump everybody else around us for theirs. Lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1