Calum Chambers

His Name Is Death

14 minutes ago, sne said:

Chambers is "only " 6ft 0 depending on where you look  (his wiki page says 6 ft 4 for some reason) so maybe on the short side. Then again there has been some fantastic CB's who's shorter than that.

Yeah, I appreciate that.....I just think with aerial balls they struggle....there is of course an exception to every rule. I'm just saying what I look for.

Calum is more a utility player for me, who can play in many positions....I don't see him coming in and snatching one of the centre back roles, but, never say never.

I think by and large centre backs tend to be the bigger players in a football team....and I guess that's for a reason.....but I accept, there are alternative examples...like Ake.

I think if you look across football in general, the stature of players per their position, has a common theme.....but of course exceptions always exist.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s not a clogger, he’s an excellent and underrated centre back. He’s not a big name but he is extremely effective and his enthusiasm is infectious and it rubs off on teammates 

I know that, and you know that.....I was just generalising to say, its not traits some folk endear to.

• Like 1

If Gerrard does indeed see Luiz as a box to box player then I could absolutely see Chambers playing sooner rather than later as our defensive midfielder while Nakamba is out.

It would allow us to get back to the system we played during Gerrard's first weeks, before the Nakamba injury. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, nick76 said:

that’s his problem and choice, but for us Villa fans we have an experienced and very capable back up if needed on a free transfer.

Agreed.

I just can't get as excited as some over a player who probably won't make the first 11 very often.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agreed.

I just can't get as excited as some over a player who probably won't make the first 11 very often.

"Excited" being the operative word....I agree its not an exciting signing......Calum Chambers is not a game changer.

but if he can come in to our squad and help in terms of the shortage of natural defensive nous....I'm all for it.

Its a functional signing Hippo, not a stadium filler..

If you look at our results this season, keeping the ball out of our net has been a concern, (yes the other end has too) so to get another player in for free at 27 seems like a move in the right deirection in terms of strengthening the squad.

How many times do the pundits, look to the squad and not necessarily the team, when appraising a clubs predictions?

you are right, its not a profile changer, but lets not turn our nose up either, to what could prove to be a good bit of business....not all signings are fan favourites, some are practical necessities.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I like Chambers, the few times I've seen him that is. Hopefully he'll have the same effect as the last Arsenal reject we nabbed

You never know, sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders. Bet he'll be pretty motivated to show he's not just here to make up the number and SG wouldn't have signed him if he didn't think that. 

• Like 1

I thought that he had real potential when he signed for Arsenal for about £10m upfront I think, but although he played 74 times for them, he never really was given a regular starting spot. He's an England international though and played for the U21s a lot, so I think he's a tremendous signing for no fee and I think he will provide us with good defensive cover. Arteta has done us another favour here, after all he was Fulham's player of the season in 2019, so he's no busted flush yet. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, striker said:

Found it very odd that Sky Transfer programme made no mention of this transfer this morning.

Obviously someone's nose has been put out of joint.

Tbf it’s a bit of a non story for them now. 

“midtable club signs utility player. We didn’t know, now we don’t care.. now back to Liverpool ****ing Spurs in the arse”

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Yeah, I appreciate that.....I just think with aerial balls they struggle....there is of course an exception to every rule. I'm just saying what I look for.

Calum is more a utility player for me, who can play in many positions....I don't see him coming in and snatching one of the centre back roles, but, never say never.

I think by and large centre backs tend to be the bigger players in a football team....and I guess that's for a reason.....but I accept, there are alternative examples...like Ake.

I think if you look across football in general, the stature of players per their position, has a common theme.....but of course exceptions always exist.

The expectations being 2 of the greatest central defenders of all time in Baresi and Cannavaro..

8 minutes ago, John said:

I thought that he had real potential when he signed for Arsenal for about £10m upfront I think, but although he played 74 times for them, he never really was given a regular starting spot. He's an England international though and played for the U21s a lot, so I think he's a tremendous signing for no fee and I think he will provide us with good defensive cover. Arteta has done us another favour here, after all he was Fulham's player of the season in 2019, so he's no busted flush yet. 

The hip injury and Cruciate ligament injuries certainly didn’t help. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

The expectations being 2 of the greatest central defenders of all time in Baresi and Cannavaro..

I am no expert on Italian football, but maybe the long high ball, is not used so much as it is elsewhere.

They are 2 exeptions, which I said, exist.....even our own Macca was no giant either or Bobby Moore.

To find centre backs, who can read the game as good as they could, is like looking for rocking horse poo.

It also needs to be noted different styles of player and teams can prosper.....No one type or system is right....but opponents look for weakness.

It might be worth noting equally that players like Rio Ferdinand or John Charles...were tall, but of exceptional ability too.

I think in the main, the popular vote from managers is tall centre backs, with presence.

1 hour ago, birdman said:

You never know, sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders. Bet he'll be pretty motivated to show he's not just here to make up the number and SG wouldn't have signed him if he didn't think that. 

SG wants pushers, not plodders....he will have done his homework.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

"Excited" being the operative word....I agree its not an exciting signing......Calum Chambers is not a game changer.

but if he can come in to our squad and help in terms of the shortage of natural defensive nous....I'm all for it.

Its a functional signing Hippo, not a stadium filler..

If you look at our results this season, keeping the ball out of our net has been a concern, (yes the other end has too) so to get another player in for free at 27 seems like a move in the right deirection in terms of strengthening the squad.

How many times do the pundits, look to the squad and not necessarily the team, when appraising a clubs predictions?

you are right, its not a profile changer, but lets not turn our nose up either, to what could prove to be a good bit of business....not all signings are fan favourites, some are practical necessities.

But there is still a drop in quality when Konsa/Ming's aren't available. 

So nothing against the lad himself - but I don't see much impact of this signing. 

1 hour ago, birdman said:

But on the face of it - he is here to just make up the numbers - the issue is how much you think making up the numbers progresses us.

Â