Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

9 minutes ago, Chine said:

Looking at his body position I don’t think he expected the back pass off Kamara at pace , got caught on his heels and tried to dig it out up the pitch , miskicked it straight back at him . Could have been costly . Other than that I thought he did ok .

I don't think it was meant for Kamara. Maybe for someone beyond him. Really bad decision and execution from the swede.

• Like 1

Feel like I age 5 years whenever he plays. He was a lot better today, but I think we come away with a clean sheet if Emi were playing and Rodriguez should have scored from his missed punch. Hopefully playing Thursday will give him more experience in the sweeper role because he seems to struggle to know when to stick or twist at the moment.

• Like 1

Olsen, I thought, was fine today. The goal was not his fault.

I think the difference between Emi and Robin is, that when Emi stays on the line he does it with authority, and similarly when he comes off it. Whereas Olsen looks hesitant, and I suppose that sends a mixed message to those around him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Olsen, I thought, was fine today. The goal was not his fault.

I think the difference between Emi and Robin is, that when Emi stays on the line he does it with authority, and similarly when he comes off it. Whereas Olsen looks hesitant, and I suppose that sends a mixed message to those around him.

I agree with your second point but no the bit in bold. He should have come and claimed the ball during the first phase of play before their goal. Instead Diego did a very weak back header which went straight to one of their players on the edge of the box and they built again leading directly to the goal. If he had come and claimed that ball (I'm sure Emi would have) the goal wouldn't have happened.

Hesitant is the right word though.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I agree with your second point but no the bit in bold. He should have come and claimed the ball during the first phase of play before their goal. Instead Diego did a very weak back header which went straight to one of their players on the edge of the box and they built again leading directly to the goal. If he had come and claimed that ball (I'm sure Emi would have) the goal wouldn't have happened.

I think he should have come for the subsequent cross. The first one was on Diego, he should have headed it back to Olsen or if he wasn't confident, got more height and distance on the clearance. The second cross are ones Emi comes and collects and you don't even think twice about it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

That’s certainly what an elite keeper like Martinez would do. No question we are a lot more assured when we have possibly the best keeper in the world playing between the sticks. 

However it’s probably not realistic for us to have two elite keepers on the books. It’s logical that we would have an ordinary shot stopper as the number two. 

For a second choice keeper Olsen generally does ok. He’ll play again on Thursday then hopefully we will have our first choice back for the vast majority of the season. 

Didn’t do too bad, but we can’t play the way we want to play with him between the sticks.  

we need someone that can confidently play with their feet.

I’d accept a drop in shot stopping ability if it meant an upgrade in passing.

Harsh but to me he seems incapable of making a simple pass to his left. Again yesterday,  instead of a very simple pass to torres, he plays it to kamara who plays it back, again he has torres to his left, still waiting for the pass and again olsen kicks it forwards. Happened against hibs a couple times as well as several yesterday.

It's these little things that lose us control, something the rest of the team are instructed to do and work hard on doing.

I have little confidence in him and I'm guessing it's why our entire set up has been changed to accommodate him.

He wasn’t great and wasn’t obviously atrocious either.

- Maybe could have done better with the goal, but it wasn’t his fault.

- Decent save from a deflection, if he dealt with it a little odd.

- Zero command the box in general. Came and got nowhere near at least once. Looked uncertain about whether he’d come or go at least one other time. There’s nerves there.

- He was at fault for completely missing the Rodriguez cross. He misread the flight and we were very lucky not to concede. He was noticeably not head-on with the opposing player when contact was made. He was off by about 2 yards.

- Horrible pass to Kamara could have been costly.

- At one stage in the first half Emery lost the plot for him hoofing it, presumably because there was a pass on. I didn’t see a clear pass at the time, so I’d no complaints with hoofing it there personally.

- Routine enough save to his right-hand corner at 2–1. This is definitely nit picking but he looked awkward getting down to it. I’m not criticizing aesthetics, what I mean is he looked like he had poor enough positioning/reflexes/responses to it. Could just be his style, but to me hinted at something bigger.

13 hours ago, Chine said:

Looking at his body position I don’t think he expected the back pass off Kamara at pace , got caught on his heels and tried to dig it out up the pitch , miskicked it straight back at him . Could have been costly . Other than that I thought he did ok .

I agree with this. He looks nervy quite often but a decent performance overall. But I hope you're right that it was a miskick to Kamara, it was bad, yikes! 😲 Because with a Burnley player right next to Kamara, that pass just wasn't on and could so easily have beem a goal.

As brilliant as Unai is perhaps he could allow Olsen two long clearances per match in emergency situations, like that one. Or maybe he could have kept the ball at his feet and moved with it, keeping away from opposition players for as long as possible, until a pass became available. I don't know. :s

• Like 1

75% pass accuracy considering this is supposed to be his weakness. Looking around the league at the weekend for some of the surrounding teams and most of the goalkeepers made around 30-50 passes, Olsen made 36 and has performed better than more elite keepers

Allison 69%

Pope 70.8%

Vicario 73%

Sanchez 92.3%

Ramsdale 89%

Onana 70%

Verbruggen 100%

Areola 38.5%

Ederson 80%

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

75% pass accuracy considering this is supposed to be his weakness. 

Smashing it at Kamara’s shin was an “accurate pass”. That statistic doesn’t capture that when his passes are bad, they’re very bad.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Does anyone else think he could have come for the cross that led to their first goal? The cross that Gunnarson (I think) headed back across goal. 

Short answer, No! He would have had to go through Carlos to get it. We then would be berating Olsen for recklessly leaving his line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â