Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Have you? Can you provide some evidence that he is worse than olsen?

You're asking to prove a negative here. You're comparing Olsen to the first-pick keeper in Heaton, that played the last of his 20 games for us 3 years ago and not the 37 year old keeper that never plays after a very serious injury.

I honestly think some are expecting to get David Raya in as back up. It's not an easy position to fill, otherwise why would May U not have better than a shot-out 37 year old. I'll say again - Man City still employ Scott Carson.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Two teams that we are competing with I think have better number 2s.  Although it’s all down to opinions of course and maybe if we watched them more often we’d see they are also shit too. 

Newcastle - Dubrokva i think is better

Spurs - Forster I think is better although he did mess up bad against us. 

I think this is the key bit here. They all have notable weaknesses in their game. Otherwise they'd be a #1 somewhere.

Any player that gets practically zero competitive match time for months will look rusty when they eventually do play. I'd say Olsen is about the level of other reserve keepers at the top teams.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

United generally play a lot of games so who was their number 2 last season or did De Gea play every game ? I can’t remember ever seeing Heston. Just trying to get some comparisons.

De Gea played 58 games last season including 12 in Europe. Dubravka and Heaton played a couple Carabao Cup games each

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

United generally play a lot of games so who was their number 2 last season or did De Gea play every game ? I can’t remember ever seeing Heston. Just trying to get some comparisons.

De Gea played virtually every game. Heaton and Dubravka played 2 games each in the League Cup

• Thanks 1

Not here to bash the guy as I've done enough of that in his time here so far.

It is disappointing to learn that he won't be getting upgraded so to speak, but that's just the way it is. He is now confirmed by Unai that he will be staying put.

Again, I state I would have liked to have seen an upgrade on Olsen but then again there are not that many other keepers out there who are in the same position as Olsen at their clubs who are any better really, and probably not worthwhile upping sticks to sit on the bench elsewhere either.

To upgrade Olsen you need to take another goalkeeper from a team who is currently their No.1... But then why would they leave that club to come and sit on our bench? Because let's face it, No one is taking the spot from Martinez anytime soon really.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

Olsen debate is built on a fool's game of what if x player got injured like every player in the team except the ones people don't care for. You could apply to every club. It's tedious. Man City have no striker bar Haaland. Bowen for West Ham etc etc

It's worst case scenario panic like Emery wants to play 1 striker and has said Diaby covers striker and was reason for signing but people want to spend +40 million on competition for Watkins because striker term is pigeon holed and multi function players don't exist

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Right now given heatons age, injury history and lack of football?

Yes

I thought he was pretty average for us before injury which probably saved him from the scapegoat treatment on here

People realise Heaton has played 3 games of football in 3 and a half years, at 37, yeah? He's done.

The Heaton that played for us was head and shoulders above Olsen, a better backup now though? Probably not, no.

I am surprised by Emery keeping the faith with Olsen though, I must say, it's not just the mistakes on their own, its that the defence is clearly impacted by those past mistakes and look like they're shitting themselves any time that the ball is near our box. If it were up to me, after Stevenage I wouldn't even want him getting time in the early rounds of the Europa or the League Cup. Still, Emery hasn't made many bad decisions for us at all, if this is his judgement, he deserves the trust.

As much as he's had his share of clangers, he's also had some games where he's looked fine and relatively dependable. I think the main problem isn't that he's not an alright back-up in the grand scheme of things, just that he's an outdated style of goalkeeper at this level and we almost have to change how we play when he's on the pitch. If he was just asked to marshal his six yard box and keep things simple then fine, but unfortunately he's required to be able to scan much further than that, be able to use his feet etc which doesn't come naturally to him. Just figured Emery would want a keeper more in that mould. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Yea but you would expect your keeper to do the basics though, catch a ball, command your box and be able to kick a ball properly.  Olsen struggles with all of these

It's strange that you can see this but Emery can't 🤔

Â