Lucas Digne

villan-scott

5 minutes ago, villan95 said:

I don't necessarily want rid but at the same time wouldn't be too bothered if we sold him. He's essentially cover/rotation and quite expensive cover at that. 

I have a hunch Pau is going to start there while Moreno is out too.

It looked awful defensively In the Brentford game. Frankly I'd be shocked if we went into the season with Pau at LB. Against an actually good winger he'd get annihilated. 

And we have potentially 60 games this season and Moreno doesn't complete the full 90 that often. Having someone we can ve comfortable playing 30+ games of minutes is absolutely necessary. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

It looked awful defensively In the Brentford game. Frankly I'd be shocked if we went into the season with Pau at LB. Against an actually good winger he'd get annihilated. 

And we have potentially 60 games this season and Moreno doesn't complete the full 90 that often. Having someone we can ve comfortable playing 30+ games of minutes is absolutely necessary. 

A defender can’t defend? Surely that’s the bit he’d be good at playing at LB?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Well Unai has talked about using 3 centre backs in a back 4 so I'd assume that would be Konsa at RB some matches and Pau at LB for others. Can't really say for sure it won't work based off 1 match. There were good parts about it though, especially in the way we built up.

I'm not suggesting we don't sign another full back or 2 either if Digne leaves, I just think he's replaceable.

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

If we want to be a big team, we need a quality squad and Digne gives us that strength in depth. 

Too many people playing 'Football Accountant 2' on here, when they should let the club worry about that ;) 

Fair point - I am not his biggest fan either, but equally I don’t have many qualms if he stays 👍🏻

If Emery thinks it’s best to let Digne leave then that’s fine by me.

I’ll be interested to know what our financial position actually is and whether we’ll be able to sign all of our summer targets without selling 1 or 2 of Digne, Coutinho, Bailey or Buendia to balance the books.

Maybe we’ve already signed all of our summer targets and anything else will be a bonus depending on who leaves.

Can’t see us recouping too much from selling Hause, Davis etc.

Cannot rule this out. Emery and Monchi were known for a big turnover of players when they were at Sevilla. They will have multiple targets to replace any player in our squad but the most important one is the end game. How to construct the squad for the  medium and long term. If they feel that short term they can let him go and replace with someone with more potential while not effecting the squad strength then they will i think. This is a new world we are entering i think and we will find it hard to second guess our transfers both in and out. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

If we want to be a big team, we need a quality squad and Digne gives us that strength in depth. 

Too many people playing 'Football Accountant 2' on here, when they should let the club worry about that ;) 

While I agree it's pretty pointless worrying about the financial aspect, I just wonder if we could actually do better from a footballing point of view.

41 minutes ago, Xela said:

Well said!

55 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I do find the wage talk funny.

Nobody on here knows what he is really paid.

It's a typical villa fan response, I couldn't care less what the players are paid as its not my money, that all down to the club. 

He seems he's this year's scapegoat, bit like Mings was when most of the issues were caused by konsa not doing his job so Mings was having to cover. 

We are in Europe and will have 2 cups and league, we need a squad and Digne is good enough to start or be a sub. 

It’s high risk but if we are able to move on Digne, Bailey and Coutinho for circa 50m and to get their circa 400k per week wages completely off the books …. It would give Emery huge flexibility to bring in real quality and to shape the squad the way he wants. 

• Like 1

I like Digne, and there's no question he's a fine LB, but he does sometimes strike me as a little too two-dimensional.

He does this one little swivel move on the volley all the time that attempts to move the ball upfield but often gives the ball away. Maybe Emery is asking him to do that, I dunno, to hurry the ball upfield from the back as fast as possible? But he needs another touch, or get his passes on the volley right (which is very hard!).

Edited by Marka Ragnos

I can understand the club may want to move him on and the financials around it. If we move him on, I'll make my peace.

But as a pure fan (not as an amateur FFP Aficionado) Digne is a good player and our squad will be weaker to lose him. We may get an exciting future prospect as a replacement, but whatever happens I can't imagine we sign an immediate upgrade on Digne or Moreno this off season. So just keep the good players in one of the very few positions we have good depth in.

We have enough games to worry about and we need 4x of our own kids anyway that we'll need to blood this season.

No point adding to that number by buying another kid or playing a CB there. Keep Digne, review next year when everyone has a year of PL and Europe under their belts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I can understand the club may want to move him on and the financials around it. If we move him on, I'll make my peace.

But as a pure fan (not as an amateur FFP Aficionado) Digne is a good player and our squad will be weaker to lose him. We may get an exciting future prospect as a replacement, but whatever happens I can't imagine we sign an immediate upgrade on Digne or Moreno this off season. So just keep the good players in one of the very few positions we have good depth in.

We have enough games to worry about and we need 4x of our own kids anyway that we'll need to blood this season.

No point adding to that number by buying another kid or playing a CB there. Keep Digne, review next year when everyone has a year of PL and Europe under their belts.

I agree with most of this. But wouldn't the idea be that Torres would sorta cover that area sorta until Moreno returned?

Â