Lucas Digne

villan-scott

When both fullbacks former and present look equally bad you need to start looking at the setup. Digne is slightly better due to his wingback like skills but this isn't working. Fullbacks can't be expected to run the entire length of the pitch beat 2 defenders and put in a pinpoint cross. That's a wide attackers job. 

He’s not blowing us away with his performances so far but the whole defence has been a little shaky since the turn of the year, even Martinez.  Digne has over 40 caps for France to date, so he should prove to be better than Targett over time.

6 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I think Digne has done well so far, very good with the ball and reads the game. But the problem with the setup remains, fullbacks placed that high with a back four puts huge pressure on remaining players, not sure it’s worth it.

You might want to check his stats for the Newcastle game.

Lost the ball more than any other villa player.

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

No, not Luiz. I wonder where all those cases of lost possession for Digne comes from, they weren’t obvious by watching the game.

Haven't checked the stats, but thought most of his crosses hit the first defender.

12 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Haven't checked the stats, but thought most of his crosses hit the first defender.

Yes they were bad yesterday (his crossing has been good previous games).

Curious about how the lost possession stat is counted. Players often have very high numbers there and I wonder what technically counts as possession lost.

Ok here are his stats from yesterday - pretty damming.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/aston-villa/aston-villa-newcastle-player-ratings-luiz-digne-martinez/

"Often such a threat from full-back, the 28-year-old offered little in that regard this afternoon. Only one of his nine crosses picked out a team-mate, while he failed to complete a successful dribble or long pass. Indeed, he lost possession a whopping 26 times, by a distance the most of anyone involved at St James’ Park."

I'm not sure that decisions about whether he is an upgrade can be made within *checks notes* 30 days of him signing for the club.

Seems a bit soon to be writing him off (but it's the VT way i guess, 75 pages of he's crap / no he isn't to follow).

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

I'm not sure that decisions about whether he is an upgrade can be made within *checks notes* 30 days of him signing for the club.

Seems a bit soon to be writing him off (but it's the VT way i guess, 75 pages of he's crap / no he isn't to follow).

In fairness Everton fans were saying he really wasnt that great. If anything I thought it would be the opposite and that his attacking would be miles better than his defensive play but it has been the other way around

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

In fairness Everton fans were saying he really wasnt that great. If anything I thought it would be the opposite and that his attacking would be miles better than his defensive play but it has been the other way around

With Everton that was always: 'I didn't fancy you anyways' after he rejected staying there.

Bold statement, but maybe we should give new players some time to settle into the squad. Radical I know :)

5 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

With Everton that was always: 'I didn't fancy you anyways' after he rejected staying there.

Bold statement, but maybe we should give new players some time to settle into the squad. Radical I know :)

Yes but he didnt reject staying there, he was forced out. If anything he would not have left Everton if Rafa was not the manager

• Like 1

Â