Yves Bissouma

Corleone

I was talking to my colleague about Bissouma as his mate works for Brighton and he was pretty adamant that the charges have been dropped.  It seems odd that it wouldn't have been made public but then also odd if we are bidding for him with this hanging over his head.  Unless NSWE are OK with taking the gamble and writing off the money.  I guess we will find out soon.

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I don't understand why people use the standards of the Criminal Courts to decide whether someone is or isn't a bad egg. Those standards are there to set a very high bar, which ideally stops innocent people from going to prison. They're not a guideline to your social interactions and employment decisions, where usually it makes sense to go on the balance of probabilities.

Has Keith Lemon ever been convicted of sexual assault? No. Do I think he's a sex pest word removed? Yes.

Yes, that's harsh if Bissouma has been falsely accused, but we have no obligation to employ him, and frankly it's an unnecessary risk - both ethically and commercially - to sign someone who's in the middle of a court case like that. Why would we do it?

You, and anybody else, can decide for yourselves whether a person is a bad egg. This is a value judgement and like all value judgements will vary from person to person - nobody has a Devine right to dictate what is acceptable. In this case it will be for the Villa to decide whether they think a player is a bad egg and proceed - or not - from there (this point has been made previously). I think the use of the legal system is because if found guilty there is no need for a value judgment.

10 minutes ago, Awol said:

Absolutely. Prejudice, rumour, conjecture and suspicion are much stronger foundations for recruiting decisions ;) 

I think an ongoing court case constitutes a lot more than conjecture or suspicion, but even so, yes these are things that are obviously taken into account. Nobody would touch a certain Everton player with a barge pole for example, even though technically he hasn't been convicted of anything yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think an ongoing court case constitutes a lot more than conjecture or suspicion, but even so, yes these are things that are obviously taken into account. Nobody would touch a certain Everton player with a barge pole for example, even though technically he hasn't been convicted of anything yet.

Alex Iwobi really should be charged for impersonating a footballer 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Ain't nobody buying if there's still a question over the bum pinching (or whatever alledgedly happened). So if we ARE buying - he's not being charged and we can all support him, conscience clear. 

Precisely. The idea the club will make a record signing and cross their fingers as to his criminal liability for ‘X’ is farcical.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Absolutely. Prejudice, rumour, conjecture and suspicion are much stronger foundations for recruiting decisions ;) 

I think you've missed the point - I said "balance of probabilities", which is used in other legal settings, but is a different standard from a criminal case, which is "beyond reasonable doubt". The former doesn't mean relying on rumour and conjecture, it just means not setting an unrealistically high evidential bar for deciding whether someone did something.

We use this reasoning all the time when deciding whether to hire people in all lines of work. I don't know why we should suddenly switch to the standards of a criminal court?

The point is that we're deciding whether to sign a midfielder, not whether to send him to prison. Not signing him won't take away any liberties or harm him in any way. We can make that decision on even a relatively low suspicion that he's done something wrong. You admit this in your following reply, tbh?

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I was talking to my colleague about Bissouma as his mate works for Brighton and he was pretty adamant that the charges have been dropped.  It seems odd that it wouldn't have been made public but then also odd if we are bidding for him with this hanging over his head.  Unless NSWE are OK with taking the gamble and writing off the money.  I guess we will find out soon.

According to the mighty Brighton and Hove News he is on conditional bail until 27th January. 

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Precisely. The idea the club will make a record signing and cross their fingers as to his criminal liability for ‘X’ is farcical.

Well I think so too, but doing precisely that is what the existence of this thread is premised on.

11 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

According to the mighty Brighton and Hove News he is on conditional bail until 27th January. 

Any idea of the conditions? No restriction on overseas travel? No fears of not responding to bail?

17 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think you've missed the point - I said "balance of probabilities", which is used in other legal settings, but is a different standard from a criminal case, which is "beyond reasonable doubt". The former doesn't mean relying on rumour and conjecture, it just means not setting an unrealistically high evidential bar for deciding whether someone did something.

We use this reasoning all the time when deciding whether to hire people in all lines of work. I don't know why we should suddenly switch to the standards of a criminal court?

The point is that we're deciding whether to sign a midfielder, not whether to send him to prison. Not signing him won't take away any liberties or harm him in any way. We can make that decision on even a relatively low suspicion that he's done something wrong. You admit this in your following reply, tbh?

Wow, I’m slightly gobsmacked by this and not in a good way.

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Ain't nobody buying if there's still a question over the bum pinching (or whatever alledgedly happened). So if we ARE buying - he's not being charged and we can all support him, conscience clear. 

Absolutely nothing against you Jareth, but this is the problem with one person saying “what if he just pinched a bum it’s likely as he was in a club and that used to happen all the time” is it has now become a part of the discourse.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

I'm confused - i've googled news articles about this, and i can find him being arrested, i can find him being bailed, but nothing about him being charged. 

So how does someone get bailed when they haven't been charged?

13 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Absolutely nothing against you Jareth, but this is the problem with one person saying “what if he just pinched a bum it’s likely as he was in a club and that used to happen all the time” is it has now become a part of the discourse.

No problemo sir - was just following on from other posts - no idea exactly what it was he did - if charged with something then for sure we don't need that player - but if the offence is now history and not followed up I suppose we'd have to treat him as anyone else, twas all I was getting at...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

No problemo sir - was just following on from other posts - no idea exactly what it was he did - if charged with something then for sure we don't need that player - but if the offence is now history and not followed up I suppose we'd have to treat him as anyone else, twas all I was getting at...

Don’t forget he hasn’t actually been charged with anything at any point. 

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think that could be the situation. No club are going to gamble that type of money if the police had enough evidence to take to the cps. 

44 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

This would appear to be incorrect.

According to the Brighton and Hove News on January 4th, the man in his forties who was arrested with Bissouma had his bail extended until Jan 27th.

But .... Bissouma was released from bail conditions and has no further requirement to report as per bail conditions. That doesn't mean that the matter is no longer under investigation but it perhaps suggests that the guy in his forties is the main focus of any further inquiries.

• Like 2

Â