Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

55 minutes ago, useless said:

Signing Coutinho was a pivotal moment, as marked the the point when we returned to being one of the top clubs again, he was as if the club's stargate to other top players, as since his arrival we signed Diego Carlos, Digne, Kamara, Tielemans, Torres, Zaniolo, and Diaby, he helped change the way the club was perceived by the world, which probably helped us attract a top manager like Emery, who in turn is having a similar effect but in his case both because of his previous reputation and how wel he's doing.

Well said, I agree. It was a statement at the time and showed that we were moving on from the sort of 2018-21 phase of our development.

49 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I really don't think so. 

I'm glad you said that, think it's completely wrong as a theory. In particular, the idea that we got Emery because of Coutinho seems to be completely belied by the fact Emery rarely started him even when he was fit. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

His debut against United, his performances home to Leeds and Southampton and his goal against Arsenal were the highlights. 

We have had much bigger let downs than him. Will always remember how excited I was when he signed. It was like being a kid again. 

Great post - sums up my thoughts on him perfectly

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

A bit surprising that he didn’t try n sign him again for his Saudi club…

Maybe they aren't and probably never were such great and inseparable "mates" as was the popular word on here.  I am still sad to see him go though. I so hoped he would stay fit and star for us. 

9 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Personally, I’m glad we can move on from these “hopes and dreams” and bring in someone more effective instead…

His body simply wasn’t up to the task…

So much talent and seems a great guy but… he’s just not cut out for PL football anymore…

-

We have to be more decisive and even “ruthless” (less sentimental) as a club to start having some tangible success for a change… it seems like that’s what is happening now and I’m fully on board.

We’ve needed a fresh approach and mentality for a long time… have flattered to deceive, declined and accepted mediocrity for ages… that all changes now.

I agree we have to get more suitable and reliable players in, but when we signed him in Jan he was fit and available all the way until November when Gerrard was sacked. He put a lot of minutes in under Gerrard between Jan-May and this was during a time when we didn't have the ball as much, played a more frantic pace. You'd think he could be more suited to Emery in certain games.

I know he's more injury prone than others but it seems to have really deteriorated the last few months, or he's just been very unlucky. Regardless, it doesn't bode well for a guy on a 4 year contract, if we can get him off the wage bill it's good for us.

5 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Sell if we have a deal for a player who will genuinely add to us, ready to go today. Otherwise, no. We'll need him at some point.

If someone is willing to pay 20m euros for him and pick up his wages in full we would be absolutely crackers to decline. 

Give his game time to Kellyman - at least there will be some confidence the kid will be fit to play. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm glad you said that, think it's completely wrong as a theory. In particular, the idea that we got Emery because of Coutinho seems to be completely belied by the fact Emery rarely started him even when he was fit. 

There are shades of grey like. A lot here seem to think in terms of black and white.

In 2021 we were still a Club re-establishing ourselves in the top flight and buying players with potential. The signing of Coutinho was a statement in January 2022. It was seen as a coup. Then Digne followed. 

People are not saying we got Emery because of Coutinho they are, correctly in my opinion, saying the Coutinho was a statement that announced our new phase as a club looking to really challenge. The mood music shifted and the next piece was getting a top manager once Gerrard failed. 

Edited by Captain_Townsend

10 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

If someone is willing to pay 20m euros for him and pick up his wages in full we would be absolutely crackers to decline. 

Give his game time to Kellyman - at least there will be some confidence the kid will be fit to play. 

We need both. The fixtures will pile up at some point, especially around Christmas. Kellyman is exciting and I want to see more but there will be games we need more nous too.
And as much a cost cutting exercise getting rid of Coutinho will be, he is more important to us as a player this season unless we can replace with as good or better. We're just too light on numbers at the moment.

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I keep seeing this written and it's utter bollocks.

He's looked perfectly mobile and even speedy (someone at a pre season friendly specifically said how quick he looked)

There is without doubt a question about if he can remain injury free and that's a fair comment to make.

But can barely move? where has this com from, utter rubbish.  I mean his latest injury was actually caused as he shimmied away from an Everton player who petulantly pushed him from behind.

Why beat a man with an unnecessary stick?

Watch his Liverpool movement compared to his Villa movement. Yes its 5 years later but he is only 31 and should still be im a good shape

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

We need both. The fixtures will pile up at some point, especially around Christmas. Kellyman is exciting and I want to see more but there will be games we need more nous too.
And as much a cost cutting exercise getting rid of Coutinho will be, he is more important to us as a player this season unless we can replace with as good or better. We're just too light on numbers at the moment.

Can't agree with any of this. 23 games over +60 mins record I posted the day 7 wins vs worst teams in league at the time mostly ie flat track bully. Looked like running in custard last friendly and that wasn't PL level game. Thought he was done for PL pace ages ago and perma injured. Best for everyone get rid

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I keep seeing this written and it's utter bollocks.

He's looked perfectly mobile and even speedy (someone at a pre season friendly specifically said how quick he looked)

There is without doubt a question about if he can remain injury free and that's a fair comment to make.

But can barely move? where has this com from, utter rubbish.  I mean his latest injury was actually caused as he shimmied away from an Everton player who petulantly pushed him from behind.

Why beat a man with an unnecessary stick?

I’m guessing it’s 1 of 2 things. Either he can’t move as in he can’t move without  picking up an injury or it’s a comparison to the player he was at Pool which seems to be the case for most people who make those comments.

Â