Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

Albeit 30 mins in a friendly but he is making me eat my words after the last 2 games. If he can play like that , and it seems the confidence in his body is back , then he can offer us plenty. He is more than settled in Sutton Coldfield i believe which is more Little South America than Little Aston these days.. The big question is his 120k a week and if the club are happy with that on the payroll and can afford it.  As it stands lets see if the silky hipped little bugger can stay fit and impact from the bench and then go from there. 

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

I do respect you are still pro Gerrard to the death even though you were completely wrong

What on earth does Phil have to do with Gerrard? The fact you’ve brought his name into it suggested you are the one who needs to let it go.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

I would be sad to see Phil go, even taking in to consideration, his age, wages and fitness.

He has this something, what many other players have not, that half turn, that touch, that pirouette, that just opens up space.

With great touch players around him, like we have now and staying fit.....He just spooks the opposition.

I am not advocating he plays 90+ minutes....but his inclusion, from the bench, opens things up, and the ballet begins....He is a dying breed.

You can see in the faces of the other players, he is revered....He is not a physical beast, or a player who plays the man, not the ball.....He is an artist with a ball....it will be a damn shame if he goes.

Enjoyed this 

• Thanks 1

Even if he maintains fitness and availability I'm just not sure he has the general physicality for the Premier League anymore, or at least not to perform consistently over a season.

However he's obviously still a fantastic footballer, probably still the best in the squad in terms of pure ability, hard to argue with him being a great - albeit expensive - option in the squad if he stays. And that's purely on a footballing level, without also factoring in that he's unanimously been called a great person and influence around the squad.

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

When you can control a football as well as this man can, there is always going to be a space in the squad for you. Any club would be happy to have him. 

That doesn't mean he is value for money for us at the moment, but he can provide us with something that very few other footballers in the world can.

Hopefully he stays injury free long enough to show it this season. And start looking more like the amazing coup he was when he first arrived.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Great stuff. He moves like he's just reversed his age by 5 years. The thing is, can we count on a full season of this kind of thrust and enthusiasm to his game?

It presents a real conundrum to Emery and Monchi. What Phillipe do we presently have? Because a fit and firing Phillipe is clearly a potential game changer. 

But he's on big wages, he's getting over the hill and there's no guarantee that this little glimpse of genius is sustainable for him.

If a nice offer comes in from anyone, I think they might just sell. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

That doesn't mean he is value for money for us at the moment

Key component of your post, and arguably the most important factor for Monchi.

We’d be fools to not sell if a good offer comes along. Hopefully he can carry on increasing his stock before the Saudi window closes. He’d also be a fool for not taking the 250/300k a week for 3 years to go on holiday with his best mate.

We then roll the freed up funds into a young equivalent. 

• Like 1

Â