Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

Just now, Pinebro said:

Emery didn't manage to get a tune out of Ozil and I think it's a similar situation.

Some players are just past it and I feel it's the case with Coutinho.

You might be right, however the blind optimism of this stage of a new managers career is the most exciting bit

Just now, Adman said:

You might be right, however the blind optimism of this stage of a new managers career is the most exciting bit

We saw a clue against Brentford I think.

Literally everyone looked transformed except for this guy which is alarming.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

Yes, but that's one game under new management (I know he's been poo for a while).  Do you not think he can get back to where he was when he first joined?

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

I struggle to see how we sell him if he can’t be transformed either.  We just have to hope Emery can get something out of him.  We saw in the first handful of games when he came to us there was something in the tank, we just have to hope unlike Ozil that Emery can get it out of Coutinho in the future again.

1 minute ago, Adman said:

Yes, but that's one game under new management (I know he's been poo for a while).  Do you not think he can get back to where he was when he first joined?

I have to hope.  I think the same from a number of players.  I’m almost at the stage that so many regressed under Gerrard that in that Brentford game we saw they weren’t that bad.  I’m almost at the point i’m giving a clean slate under a new manager Emery to all the players and see what they can do, including Coutinho.

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Coutinho has shown plenty of evidence of being past it though? He struggles to compete physically.

There's a reason he was signed by one of his mates - no-one else wanted him.

Is that really true though?  Spurs seemed to be interested at the time and I'm pretty sure Coutinho would have ended up going somewhere.  Even I can't deny Gerrard had genuine pulling power, even though I knew it wouldn't last once reality kicked in.  I still think he has a future with us under a better manager just like the rest of the squad but it's up to him.

On 27/10/2022 at 18:54, nick76 said:

I struggle to see how we sell him if he can’t be transformed either.  We just have to hope Emery can get something out of him.  We saw in the first handful of games when he came to us there was something in the tank, we just have to hope unlike Ozil that Emery can get it out of Coutinho in the future again.

We'll shift him to NSWE's MLS Vegas side

On 27/10/2022 at 18:53, Adman said:

The best you can hope for from him is an impact sub.

On 27/10/2022 at 19:01, Adman said:

Hope so too, and I genuinely think he's a nice guy and his reasons for signing for us were genuine and not as a retirement contract.  The ozil comparisons are hopefully way off

He is genuine, a guy like him could have went to a tin pot league for 25m a year.

On 27/10/2022 at 17:57, Tom13 said:

Coutinho has shown plenty of evidence of being past it though? He struggles to compete physically.

There's a reason he was signed by one of his mates - no-one else wanted him.

I think they did. But he wanted to sign for his mate. 

Pretty much every team in the PL would have taken him for the fee and wages we got, but we'd got the option to buy in place. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

You sure about that?

He's Philippe Coutinho. A massive name in the game. Don't underestimate the value his name alone can bring to a team in terms of global exposure. 

• Like 3

It's fair to say he has not played well for months, but If anyone can get a tune out of him, it's Emery.

If Emery can't get a tune out of Phillipe then it is fair to say that Phillipe is done at the highest levels of the game - and he is 29 so he should not be. Therefore I am confident that he will improve. He may have wanted to come and play for his mate, but as a pro, once he saw how shite a manager his mate was one can understand him losing his way a bit. Hopefully a bit of man management, and a system built to the players strength (you know, the kind of thing an actual coach or manager would do) then he should come good. 

Failing that, as mentioned above, he gets shipped off to the MLS.

Edited by TheStagMan

What makes everyone think they were "mates"

Knowing Coutinho gets the first conversation and that's about it. Gerrard is ...or was the manager. They aren't going to laserquest together.

From all the stories around Gerrard and Carragher I don't think any of them had football mates. 

• Like 1

Â