Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

On 25/04/2022 at 17:29, Follyfoot said:

If he signs full time it will set us back years 

I don't fully agree but it will keep us where we are for a while. You need all 11 players defending these days to be a top 8/10 team (unless you're United of course and can just buy enough top players that they click the odd day), and Phil is not able for 90 minutes of that. I'd prefer Buendia and Ramsey in those 10/inside forward/winger positions with a solid midfield 3 behind them if we are going to pursue this style of play.

• Like 2

On 25/04/2022 at 21:24, tomav84 said:

still think we'll sign him. 150k a week isn't silly money these days and i dont think we'd take the risk of him doing well elsewhere

Unless it's to join James Rodriguez I really don't see where he goes tbh.

6 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

I don't fully agree but it will keep us where we are for a while. You need all 11 players defending these days to be a top 8/10 team (unless you're United of course and can just buy enough top players that they click the odd day), and Phil is not able for 90 minutes of that. I'd prefer Buendia and Ramsey in those 10/inside forward/winger positions with a solid midfield 3 behind them if we are going to pursue this style of play.

Yep, very much a passenger in that sense. 

On 25/04/2022 at 18:29, Follyfoot said:

I just don’t think he’s that good. Do not get me wrong he just showed flashes of brilliance but he’s far too inconsistent and goes missing (Granted you could make the same accusation most of the team at the moment. Also it seems to be  that we exclude the Argentinian lad at is expense this is also a massive no no IMO. And it looks like Gerrard is obligated to play him regardless of form or performance which again is a big no no.Maybe a fair assumption would be right player wrong time if I am being kind

I'm closer to your take on him than wanting to sign him. We just generally dont look any better if at all with him in the team.

• Like 1

I'm of two minds with PC. His performances have dropped off, he'll be on big wages and his presence will thwart Buendia. 

On the other hand, it'd be a statement of intent. If we want to attract Champions League level players, we have to start by signing them to contracts, and Coutinho is the obvious initial signing.

We've spent decades now as a middling mid table club, at best. We have to break out of that old mindset. These owners are backing us. Let's **** go for it. 

I guess I think we should sign him. 😁

On 25/04/2022 at 13:38, Demitri_C said:

I think he will go newcastle personally 

It could very well happen. It depends how loyal he is to Gerrard. Toon will pay him more, for sure. 

I want to sign a player of Coutinho's stature for the statement of intent, but I don't really want to sign Coutinho. He started with a bang but really hasn't been able to get a lot going and the result is that Buendia isn't getting the gametime he deserves.

• Like 3

On 25/04/2022 at 20:29, Follyfoot said:

I just don’t think he’s that good. Do not get me wrong he just showed flashes of brilliance but he’s far too inconsistent and goes missing (Granted you could make the same accusation most of the team at the moment. Also it seems to be  that we exclude the Argentinian lad at is expense this is also a massive no no IMO. And it looks like Gerrard is obligated to play him regardless of form or performance which again is a big no no.Maybe a fair assumption would be right player wrong time if I am being kind

I think your concern is warranted tbh - you can look at Arsenal as an example of what happens when you pay big wages to inconsistent/moody players; it severely restricts what you can do. 

• Like 2

I agree with all the points raised and very much sit on the fence on this lol.

However, as much as it's a statement of intent to sign Coutinho - at this point, where we know Gerrard wants him, we know he would come, we know we have the money and if we don't sign Coutinho we will sign an attacking player - it'll also be a statement if we allow him to go elsewhere, particularly if it's to another Prem team.

That may well still be the right call, I agree we should be prioritising Buendia, it hasn't quite worked with Coutinho - but maybe sorting other parts of the team out allows them both to flourish (can't see it)

But losing a talent like Coutinho, only a year after losing a talent like Grealish, is a bit of a statement in itself.

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

2 year contract, option to extend to 3 years. 150k a week. Getting into Europe bonus. Job done.

He will get better offers than this elsewhere.

Good luck to him i say.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

He will get better offers than this elsewhere.

Good luck to him i say.

Where?

He won't get an elite european side wanting him. Therefore any run of the mill premier league side will pay better. 

West Ham, Newcastle, maybe Palace. I can't see that many options.

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Where?

He won't get an elite european side wanting him. Therefore any run of the mill premier league side will pay better. 

West Ham, Newcastle, maybe Palace. I can't see that many options.

For a start he won't accept a 2 year deal with an option of an extension.

Any club that genuinely want him will offer him the full 5 years no questions asked at 150k + a week. 

Arsenal/Newcastle will be interested imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Arteta has been trying to make the Arsenal side younger. Bringing in a 30 year old would be a bit of a reversal especially on the back of a successful season.

They're already the youngest side in the division. Wouldn't be surprised if they're now more open to bringing in experience.

23 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

For a start he won't accept a 2 year deal with an option of an extension.

Any club that genuinely want him will offer him the full 5 years no questions asked at 150k + a week. 

Arsenal/Newcastle will be interested imo.

Agree with the first part but not about Arsenal wanting him. 

On 25/04/2022 at 18:29, Follyfoot said:

I was always a huge fan of Coutinho's, but now, I completely agree with you.

Â