Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

27 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

come now.  he also watched the you tube clips.

Nah, he never had Youtube and or social media, he relied on reports from Alex for that type of stuff

On 19/03/2022 at 15:51, VillaParkAvenue said:

Maybe he won’t, but he has to play pretty damn good to make some other club pay up.

One problem with Coutinho is that Gerrard would rather commit harakiri than bench him. Gerrard has bet his whole credibilty on bringing Coutinho back to the top.

Why would we bench him? He was already the difference v Southampton and great v Leeds. More on he fringes last two but have to remember his career has stalled last 3 years so not like he's going to be 9/10 every week.

We need to be signing him full time. Buendia had a nice run of games around the new year but has dipped recently himself. Hopefully he'll improve further next season but he's never going to reach Coutinho's level imo.

Considering he's not even played 10 full games yet his output has been good and would be excellent over a full season.

Just reading the article on The Athletic about free Kicks. 

Coutinho has taken 30 free kicks since 2016-17 season and scored 5, which is a conversion rate of 17%. James Ward Prowse has taken 81 free kicks in that time scoring 11, a conversion rate of 14%

But we of course have Luiz on free kick duty

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Are we ever questioning if we want to sign a 30 year old on ridiculous wages? Who has a few consistency issues?

Signing 30 year olds on ridiculous wages could be the new Villa way. Ings, Digne, Coutinho followed by Wijnaldum, Suarez and Arturo Vidal.

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Just reading the article on The Athletic about free Kicks. 

Coutinho has taken 30 free kicks since 2016-17 season and scored 5, which is a conversion rate of 17%. James Ward Prowse has taken 81 free kicks in that time scoring 11, a conversion rate of 14%

But we of course have Luiz on free kick duty

Luiz takes them from further out. I think if they're 18-23 yards it's Coutinho, beyond that... 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Signing 30 year olds on ridiculous wages could be the new Villa way. Ings, Digne, Coutinho followed by Wijnaldum, Suarez and Arturo Vidal.

To be fair, other than Ashley Young who was free, I dont think weve signed any player who was 30 or over in recent years. Possibly Heaton a few years ago if that was for a fee but a keeper also? Maybe we do need more players who have been there and done it. Or atleast we need a combination of youth and experience in transfers.

4 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Ridiculous wages? Is £120k really considered ridiculous? It’s not like we gave them £200k. 

Also, none of our players you listed are actually 30.

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 1

The good thing about older players, as well as the experience and maturity they bring, is that they do not block pathways for younger players and can be great mentors.  Can you imagine Chukie, Aaron Ramsey, JPB, Fin Azaz and Tommy O'Reilly (I can't claim to have seen enough of these to know which are the better) pitching up and learning from Coutinho whilst knowing that his powers will wane over the new two to three years just as they are looking to start regular first team football.

The ideal scenario, for me, is to have a blend of older players (still have to be good! with good experience and ability to mentor the youngsters) and younger developing players with even younger (17-20 year olds) looking to come through.  I think we were a bit too far in the young camp to be a really successful team but we are now starting to get a blend.

14 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

The good thing about older players, as well as the experience and maturity they bring, is that they do not block pathways for younger players and can be great mentors.  Can you imagine Chukie, Aaron Ramsey, JPB, Fin Azaz and Tommy O'Reilly (I can't claim to have seen enough of these to know which are the better) pitching up and learning from Coutinho whilst knowing that his powers will wane over the new two to three years just as they are looking to start regular first team football.

The ideal scenario, for me, is to have a blend of older players (still have to be good! with good experience and ability to mentor the youngsters) and younger developing players with even younger (17-20 year olds) looking to come through.  I think we were a bit too far in the young camp to be a really successful team but we are now starting to get a blend.

I think you might be over egging the influence to be honest.

You can train alongside countinho ...even copy him - it doesn't mean you reach those levels 

The two best players I've seen at VP - Grealish and Brian little had relatively poor players around them.

Â