Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

1 hour ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Nor is anybody else 🤣🤣. Question is how many of their players will want to leave?

Will anyone be able to do business with them even if a player wants to?

They have a couple out of contract they want to extend and won’t be able to as well…

Confident he'll stay.

I suspect the issue is wages - but he will have known that when he joined.
He's clearly loving his football, he's back in the Brazil team and has seen how crap things can be when at Barcelona. He can join, be our top earner on a 'paltry' £150k a week (obviously I've made that up) - and feel the love and adoration of the crowd every week, having a team in part built around him. Plus he gets to live in Barnt Green. 

On 07/03/2022 at 19:51, WallisFrizz said:

I think people are just getting paranoid now. Arsenal have Odegaard and Martinelli. I can’t see them chucking 34 mill at 30 year old Coutinho.

Can we not just enjoy him and see how it goes? If he plays every game like Saturday, we’ll be in a great place to attract talent even cos we’ll have finished in the top ten. If he doesn’t then, I would bet it’s us who have the decision to make, not him.

This. People getting carried away as usual. Just takes one game where he's anonymous and people will be questioning him again. And this is from someone who's been a fan of his since he was at Inter.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

On 09/03/2022 at 04:21, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Well if reports are to be believed, we were offering Jack in excess of £200k p/w, and Phil is better, so I think we’d be prepared to pay him the going rate.

Saying Coutinho is better after years of consistent quality from Jack is a hell of a statement. I'm not saying it's not correct, but Coutinho needs to do a bit more first.

Also, there's the age difference, which is the key thing. If Coutinho begins declining, would we really want to be paying him £200k p/w?

23 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

They have a couple out of contract they want to extend and won’t be able to as well…

I think right now nobody with any sense will be doing any sort of business with Chelsea until the whole situation becomes clear. Any player thinking about joining them would want to be sure over the future of the club. The club will not be able to ‘extend’ players’ contracts if legally this is a ‘new contract’.The same could be true over sponsors etc. but this depends on their contract with Chelsea. 
As far as finding a new owner is concerned then the big stumbling block will be over our Government being absolutely 100% certain that Abramovich will get nothing from the sale. 
I think things will become more clear during the summer but no one should presume that Chelsea will bounce back quickly from this.

21 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

It’s not as though he’s counting the pennies. I’m sure he’d be more motivated by finishing his playing career in a similar vein to how he started it. A magnificent career with a blip in the middle. If we can provide him with a happy environment where he enjoys his football while competing in the upper part of the table and picking up some silverware, I think that would make us attractive to him and a lot of other players. Easier said than done though….

That's assuming he sees a different club as an unhappy environment. Just because it hasn't worked out at Barca doesn't mean every club is the same.

If it's Villa vs Unhappiness + 100k a week then I agree completely

But, in his head at least, it could be happiness at villa vs happiness at another club +100k a week

In that scenario why would he choose us?

It has struck me that I have learnt absolutely nothing from recent experience. If the money is better elsewhere, he will go. There's zero sentimentality in football, unless slippy G does irreplaceable hand jobs.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

That's assuming he sees a different club as an unhappy environment. Just because it hasn't worked out at Barca doesn't mean every club is the same.

But, in his head at least, it could be happiness at villa vs happiness at another club +100k a week

I agree. The one thing we do have in our favour is obviously the bond he has with Gerrard. Let's face it he wouldn't be wearing claret and blue if it wasn't for him but it's doubtful whether that would be enough for him to stay.

Hope he does, but if not then so be it, I am just going to enjoy watching him play whilst he's here because he's a real class act.

Grealish leaving was gutting (for us all) but I don't think I will ever get that "invested" in a Villa player again, no matter how good they are or how long they have been at the club.

Hope he puts in a masterclass performance tonight 🙏

20 hours ago, nick76 said:

Maybe but he wasn’t happy at Barca despite the wages.  He’s happy here, playing football like he loves for a manager he loves, in a league he loves, maybe the temptation of the big money move isn’t as tempting when he’s done it before and he’s not been happy.  He already has made huge money, if we give the kind of money we were going to give Jack maybe that is more tempting to him as a complete package than purely a financial move.

Big money is an attraction, CL is an attraction but he wants to be happy playing football.  It’ll be interesting to see what he does.  I think he’ll be here next season. I’m also not sure the big teams will offer him silly money anyway despite what he does for us.

winning football matches makes everyone happy, including players.

Funny how no one wanted to leave the '80 '81 '82 side....it was bonded.....maybe 14 players in the league title season helped, which we couldn't do today.

It will be crucial, that we make a good account of ourselves from now to seasons end.....in order to improve the squad in the summer window, that includes Phil on a permanent.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Better the devil you know I guess. I don’t think that it’s always about the money once you’re already extremely comfortable in financial terms. Somebody once told me that money wasn’t a great motivator, but lack of money was a great demotivator. I didn’t immediately agree with him, but now I think he’s probably right. Certainly in terms of once you have  more than enough money, it would take away the degree of motivation to get more. Other things become more important both positive and negative regarding motivation. 

4 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Not that I want to profit on a bad situation, but we should try to get as many of the Chelsea players with short contracts as we can to sign pre-contracts for Villa. 

9 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Not that I want to profit on a bad situation, but we should try to get as many of the Chelsea players with short contracts as we can to sign pre-contracts for Villa. 

Barca have beaten everybody to them.

10 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Danny Drinkwater is probably all we could attract

Â