Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

1 minute ago, chappy said:

Wonder what we’ll reach first, 50 pages or 50 different spellings of his name?

Its a Villa thread about a foreign player, clearly it will be 50 different spellings of his name first. But the 50 pages will come soon after

7 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

In the space of about 4 hours I've gone from not being too fussed, to now thinking that I'll be gutted if we don't sign him.

He is a class players and it shows our ambition, both of which should help attract other players of quality.

Certainly better than signing another winger.

Unveiled by Newcastle in the morning.

Heading up the Championships first " Galacticos "

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

If we do sign Coutinho it will mean lots of coverage on Sky and MOTD. He would be a massive media pull

Can’t wait to watch us lose first on MOTD, rather than last!

• Sad 1

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

Loan with option to buy makes this a good deal risk wise too to be honest 

The cost of the option to buy would scare me but it is a wonderful sign of the support and ambition NSWE have in not just AVFC but also in Purslow and Gerrard

16 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Has a player of this kind of reputation/stature ever joined villa before? 

Hanz  Krankel (almost) around 1979

We brought Peter Withe instead 

13 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

People talk about his wages like it’s their money. If it wasn’t feasible, we wouldn’t be entertaining it. Sign him up. 

Look nobody knows what the numbers are so let's assume we would be paying £150,000 a week for him and then we go to Luiz and say we want you to sign a new contract and we're offering you £60,000 a week. What if he agent says hold on a minute PC is on double that, come back to us with a better offer?

All hypothetical but this is where the heart unsettling of the dressing room starts. What do you do, sell all those who are upset,?

If we sign him I will hope and pray he is a massive success but he is here for 6 months unless we have an option to buy.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Look nobody knows what the numbers are so let's assume we would be paying £150,000 a week for him and then we go to Luiz and say we want you to sign a new contract and we're offering you £60,000 a week. What if he agent says hold on a minute PC is on double that, come back to us with a better offer?

All hypothetical but this is where the heart unsettling of the dressing room starts. What do you do, sell all those who are upset,?

If we sign him I will hope and pray he is a massive success but he is here for 6 months unless we have an option to buy.

If that happens we tell Luiz' agent to F off and we transfer list him if he doesn't sign. That type of problem will always exist and it is just the numbers that differ. The club need to manage players expectations and salary demands and the club need to have the balls to refuse. We should pay player what we think they are worth paying. If they don't like it then we part company

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Well when Luiz becomes a Coutinho level player then he can be worried about making more money. We also signed Ings at £120k. I don’t see other players fussing about that so far.

On his wages , Barcelona will undoubtedly be funding the lions share of them during the loan period. 

At the end he will have 1 year left on his contract, that's getting towards token signing fee. 

He's never going to get anywhere near £400,000 pw anywhere else now, not unless he gets into Citeh. 

Would he take / would we pay £150,000 pw? 

That would be doable on a low signing fee. 

I do think he'll go to a bigger club though.  As someone said Gerrard is key to this.  I doubt he'd give us a second thought otherwise. 

I'm sure if Chelsea or someone like that offered him £200k pw he'd take the money. 

Is it better for FFP to sign a player on high wages and a low fee instead of a big fee upfront? I know the fee is paid in installments anyway. 

I'm sure Purslow knows if he can sanction whatever we are offering. 

• Like 1

Â