VillaTalk Deadpool 2022

Xela

6 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Really cannot stand Train Whistle Blowing 🤬

Morning Town Ride. I'll grant you, that one could be safely deleted. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

That is a properly massive one there.

Yep, not sure how it's being reported but hopefully sheds a bit of light as to just how many brilliant songs those 3 wrote 

Not sure if motown is still as big in the yoof today? When I was in my teens, 20s and still today I love it, at least once a week I'll have a few hours listening to it, to me it's just perfect timeless music 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Yep, not sure how it's being reported but hopefully sheds a bit of light as to just how many brilliant songs those 3 wrote 

Not sure if motown is still as big in the yoof today? When I was in my teens, 20s and still today I love it, at least once a week I'll have a few hours listening to it, to me it's just perfect timeless music 

Unless they decide to make it a bigger deal today, it just sort of slipped by.

We’ve had two days of Olivia Newton John, yet Dozier didn’t get a name check on any national media that I saw or listened to.

Saying that, I mentioned to my wife that I was gobsmacked it wasn’t wall to wall coverage and that BBC 4 hadn’t changed their schedule. She said ‘never heard of him’.

Anyway, I’m serving papers later this morning.

• Like 2

I'll be hyperbolic here and say I'd have Holland Dozier Holland 2nd after Lennon and McCartney 

But then the inner workings of motown aren't always that clear to me so there's probably a few Smokey Robinson tracks that I'm crediting them with 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’ve never heard of him / her either. The only place i’ve seen it mentioned is in this thread.

Part of the Motown machine, both individually and with Holland Dozier Holland, as a performer, writer, producer.

You see a record you don’t recognise and it has Holland Dozier Holland written on it, you’re safe to buy it and enjoy it.

Wrote 14 different U.S. Billboard No 1’s

People that had hits with Dozier songs include:

Martha & the Vandellas

Kim Wilde

Phil Collins

Michael Jackson

The Supremes

Diana Ross

Carly Simon

The Four Tops

Alison Moyet

Mick Hucknall

The Marvalettes

Marvin Gaye

The Miracles

The Temptations

Isley Brothers

Dionne Warwick

Vanilla Fudge

For me, personally, that makes him a bit of a big deal.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Part of the Motown machine, both individually and with Holland Dozier Holland, as a performer, writer, producer.

You see a record you don’t recognise and it has Holland Dozier Holland written on it, you’re safe to buy it and enjoy it.

Wrote 14 different U.S. Billboard No 1’s

People that had hits with Dozier songs include:

Martha & the Vandellas

Kim Wilde

Phil Collins

Michael Jackson

The Supremes

Diana Ross

Carly Simon

The Four Tops

Alison Moyet

Mick Hucknall

The Marvalettes

Marvin Gaye

The Miracles

The Temptations

Isley Brothers

Dionne Warwick

Vanilla Fudge

For me, personally, that makes him a bit of a big deal.

You missed out a very important one... The Fall (And obviously R Dean Taylor too :D )

I think for most of them it's a mixture and might have been written by someone else but the number 1s and big songs the supremes had were always them, that run of 3 number ones they had in 67 (?) as well as then the four tops with sugar pie honey bunch and same old song that's peak, I'm sure they wrote this old heart of mine too

• Like 1

Gene LeBell; martial artist, actor, stuntman, wrestler and most importantly, the person who choked Steven Seagal so hard that he shat himself:

While serving as stunt coordinator for the film Out for Justice, starring Steven Seagal, Seagal stated that due to his aikido training he was 'immune' to being choked unconscious. It has been alleged that at some point LeBell heard about the claim and gave Seagal the opportunity to prove it. LeBell is said to have placed his arms around Seagal's neck, and once Seagal said "go", proceeded to choke him unconscious, with Seagal losing control of his bowels.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

You missed out a very important one... The Fall (And obviously R Dean Taylor too :D )

I left off quite a lot of lesser known artistes, I was trying to give a flavour for the people that think they haven’t heard of him.

Just one song ‘Heatwave’, originally for Martha and the Vandellas, then covered by The Who, The Jam, Rondstat, Ike & Tina Turner, The Animals, Phil Collins, The Zombies, Dusty Springfield…

Yes, I have been on Wikipedia. But growing up through that 70’s to 80’s phase with that sort of 1960’s re appraisal and re calibrating back to quality power pop tunes and away from the awful earlier 70’s noodling and yacht rock. Incredible stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I left off quite a lot of lesser known artistes, I was trying to give a flavour for the people that think they haven’t heard of him.

Just one song ‘Heatwave’, originally for Martha and the Vandellas, then covered by The Who, The Jam, Rondstat, Ike & Tina Turner, The Animals, Phil Collins, The Zombies, Dusty Springfield…

Yes, I have been on Wikipedia. But growing up through that 70’s to 80’s phase with that sort of 1960’s re appraisal and re calibrating back to quality power pop tunes and away from the awful earlier 70’s noodling and yacht rock. Incredible stuff.

I think they have to be the best commercial songwriting team ever, totally unparalleled imo.

• Like 1