Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Chelsea

limpid

Match Polls  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/12/21 at 17:30

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

Not even in terms of points mate city are miles apart in quality and results. After that first half we could have got a result. Tuchel made the changes and we didn’t that was the difference 

Because of Lukaku. We were never going to have an answer for that. Again, still a massive difference between us and them.

• Like 1

Played well some of the most composed play in defence I've seen us against elite opposition in forever.

Took the lead then turned into complete idiots. Emi. Luiz. Ramsay all guilty of getting carried away and turning over the ball stupidly and rushing.

There are signs there we are going to be a good good football team and watch.

• Like 1

Strange game, maybe it's all the COVID cancellations and missing players but it feels like the wind has gone out of everyone's sails.

Was very hard to pick a MOTM. No one was awful but no one stood out either.

Really enjoying Watkins and Ings misplacing passes to eachother then shouting at eachother, great chemistry.

Ramsey has great heart.

Carney got a bit of a wake up there just how much better Prem midfielders are vs U23.

Chelsea won't be anywhere near the title race. Tuchel won't be there by Easter.

• Like 1

Can't say what I think after a few bevvies.

Suffice to say if the top 4 all went on a cruise together and the ship sank, I would be throwing a party.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

They got a quick goal and got 10 men behind the ball in the second half.

Hardly world beating play 

Well like I said. To each their own. They’re clearly much better than us and it shouldn’t be so upsetting for us to lose to them.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

5 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I think if we pulled Targett and Cash back, took off Ollie for Ghazi or Bert and stopped two of our mids dropping into the back 4 we might have got something. It was stupid to continue it for 45 minutes. Carney coming on and having to cover Cash at right back so he can get forward? That’s never working. Ghazis shot was our first on target we were never going to get anything. They’ve 3 at the back and we’re trying to play it through the middle the whole second half it was too easy for them. Once silva went of we should have pushed for it he held them together in the first half 

it's a good call but I think their talent took it away from us.  Lukaku just battered us without getting out of second gear...he proved why he cost what he did and why he loves playing the Villa.  I think though if we had gone for it too much they wouldve killed us more because they have better creative/goalscoring talent than us.  Our strikers just never looked like scoring, their striker looked like he could score at will because our central defenders couldnt control him.

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Another “glorious failure” against a top side .

Some nice slick play at times  , we just need that little bit of skill and killer striker and we won’t be far off beating these top teams on our day… 

thought Doug was the best midfielder on the pitch today , was also impressed by JJ and Sanson … McGinn doesn’t get straight back in the team based on today , he has to earn it .

Not long til we see what Gerrard wants in the Jan window 

This blows my mind, do you not think McGinns is earned his place? He starts every day of the week and twice on sundays and Gerrard will tell you the same 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Because of Lukaku. We were never going to have an answer for that. Again, still a massive difference between us and them.

Massive difference? Take Lukaku out the game and we likely win it.  Where did you see a massive difference?

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This was the story of the game.

Also feel though that we just looked exhausted in the second half, like everyone was tired and making poor decisions and taking the lazier option because it was easier, and I won't judge players or manager if some of them are recovering from covid or haven't trained because they've been isolating or whatever. Meanwhile Chelsea have no covid issues I'm aware of, seemed to be picking from a near-full complement, and brought on a £95m striker, who is one of the best pure number 9s in world football, to win them the game.

Now we've got six days to recuperate, get manager and McGinn back, and get some training into the legs. Let's just hope our first choice back 5 can avoid the brain farts against the likes of Brentford.

I think Mings is suspended and possible Konsa too. 

It will be Tuanzebe & Hause at CB :(

3 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Quote from Buendia himself:

"At first, I played on the right wing, but with the freedom I can move around. For most of my life, my position has been the number ten behind the striker, but with this system, it doesn’t matter for me if I’m there or on the left or right wing."

Quote from Buendia: 

“I’ve just joined a new club, the manager wants me to play a different way so I’ll screw the nut and do as I’m told.”

As I recall Jack Grealish thought he was best as an 8. Turns out the player was wrong. 

Buendia has played his best football for us on the right of the pitch, imo. 

Ming's never jumped, not sure who let the cross come over but if you give Lukaku a free header then it's going to be on target . 3rd goal was from a similar situation that we had at least 3 times in the first half . Disappointed tbh as Chelsea wasn't at their best for large parts of the first half . 

Just now, nick76 said:

it's a good call but I think their talent took it away from us.  Lukaku just battered us without getting out of second gear...he proved why he cost what he did and why he loves playing the Villa.  I think though if we had gone for it too much they wouldve killed us more because they have better creative/goalscoring talent than us.  Our strikers just never looked like scoring, their striker looked like he could score at will because our central defenders couldnt control him.

Maybe things would have been different but we allowed their width all game by defending so narrow. If Hudson Odoi doesn’t play that ball to Lukaku then alonso does with all the time and space we gave  him 

1 minute ago, flashingqwerty said:

Massive difference? Take Lukaku out the game and we likely win it.  Where did you see a massive difference?

I think we draw it, we never looked like really scoring really throughout the game

• Like 1

Â