Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Chelsea

limpid

Match Polls  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/12/21 at 17:30

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Still a frail personality in this team.

Will take a long time to change the mentality.

Team selection was also wrong imo.

I'm not sure a change of team selection would have changed the result.

First half we had less of the ball (expected) but good shape, the better moments and but for good Chelsea defending, poor final shot/pass and a Matty Cash brain fart we go into the break 1 up.

Second half we never got going, Lukaku give Mings the shits, conceded poorly and never really recovered with the subs probably making us weaker, though I can see why they were made.

But the goals came from ridiculously poor defending not from team selection. 

Hate Chelsea. W4nkers.

Edited by WakefieldVillan
  • Like 1

Decent game overall. Mings played poorly against Lukaku in the 1-2 goal, and that was it. 

I've noticed that Konsa throws a tantrum every time opposition scores. Wonder what's behind that. It's good he cares, but can't he control his feelings at all? And what do his teammates think about it?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Played fairly well against a team fighting Man City for the league title. 3 mistakes ultimately cost us, plus the massive difference in talent. Without Gerrard and McGinn to boot. Not sure why anyone would be up in arms about the loss, but to each their own.

Chelsea aren’t fighting Man City for the title. They’re nowhere near it

• Like 2

Another “glorious failure” against a top side .

Some nice slick play at times  , we just need that little bit of skill and killer striker and we won’t be far off beating these top teams on our day… 

thought Doug was the best midfielder on the pitch today , was also impressed by JJ and Sanson … McGinn doesn’t get straight back in the team based on today , he has to earn it .

Not long til we see what Gerrard wants in the Jan window 

Just now, LondonVillian said:

His attitude stinks thats why I have limited patience. 

Constant tantrums when others make mistakes but he makes them constantly. 

Stormed off the other week when he got subbed.

sure, that's your opinion and it's fine.

I, however, don't believe that his attitude stinks. I think that he works hard and fights for the team.

think we can agree that he should do better though. he really wasn't very good today.

• Like 2

Just now, WakefieldVillan said:

I'm not sure a change of team selection would have changed the result.

First half we had less of the ball (expected) but good shape, the better moments and but for good Chelsea defending, poor final shot/pass and a Matty Cash brain fast we go into the break 1 up.

Second half we never got going, Lukaku give Mings the shits, conceded poorly and never really recovered with the subs probably making us weaker, though I can see why they were made.

But the goals came from ridiculously poor defending not from team selection. 

Hate Chelsea. W4nkers.

Yeah but my main point is the team looked to lose their head and disinterested after Chelsea went 2-1 up. Very reminiscent how we looked under Smith.

As I've said. Will take a long time to change the culture.

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Another “glorious failure” against a top side .

Some nice slick play at times  , we just need that little bit of skill and killer striker and we won’t be far off beating these top teams on our day… 

thought Doug was the best midfielder on the pitch today , was also impressed by JJ and Sanson … McGinn doesn’t get straight back in the team based on today , he has to earn it .

Not long til we see what Gerrard wants in the Jan window 

I think he does though, but I agree that the midfield trio of Luiz, JJ and Sanson did really well today.

Lukaku is a bit good.

Cash was incredibly stupid for their pen but otherwise had a good game. Needs to not go to ground in our own area.

Ings and Watkins just doesn't work. I really don't know what we're going to do with them. 

Just now, villalad21 said:

Yeah but my main point is the team looked to lose their head and disinterested after Chelsea went 2-1 up. Very reminiscent how we looked under Smith.

As I've said. Will take a long time to change the culture.

probably would have helped if Steven was present and shouting at them, but I agree. we haven't lost til we've lost, but sometimes I feel that's not what we're seeing on the pitch.

Chelsea have been pretty awful recently so I was hoping for at least a point. After the first half I thought we'd get one.

Only one shot on target, but they only had two (not including pens of course).

Main difference is they had a 90m striker on the bench who always scores.

What's more worrying is our decision making in the final 3rd, Watkins needs some competition as he looks too comfortable and maybe thinks he's undroppable. 

No idea how many yellows Konsa has now but we could be missing our two main central defenders against Brentford. 

Just completely lost the plot second half. Big shame because we looked so good before that, the stupid pen before the break can't have helped things either. 

Probably a good thing we don't play for a week now, Gerrard back and hopefully the other Covid players. Rest up and start again in the new year. 

What on earth was said at half time ? Never seen such a transition as that ..... we normally kick on in the second half, not switch off !

I think we beat ourselves with some poor individual errors (Mings and Cash) and some inexplicable spells of just becoming inexplicably passive !

Ings and Watkins have surely now proven that they don't work together. Ollie has to play as the lone central striker ..... we get 50% Watkins playing him anywhere else.

JJ never showed, Buendia gave us about 30 minutes before running out of gas, Sanson maybe 40 mins and a pretty lifeless midfield in the second half gave the game away.

We are better than that and need to get it back together at Brentford. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

His attitude stinks thats why I have limited patience. 

Constant tantrums when others make mistakes but he makes them constantly. 

Stormed off the other week when he got subbed.

and you know what his attitude is how? has he shown any unprofessionalism in his time at Villa?

Maybe he is frustrated when he misplaces some of his passes and shows emotion with that during games / when he gets taken off.... 

4 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

All 3 goals came down to individual errors.  Not a lot SG can do about those.

Generally, I'd say the squad just isn't good enough, needs a lot more quality.

A new cm, lb, cb, and maybe an am all better than what we have is needed really.  If we get 2 in Jan and 2 over the summer we could make a challenge for European places next season.

Not sure, we have 2 strikers who don't know where the net is at the moment. Ollie has been poor since he had his child, sharpness has gone, he is no longer that pest in the box he used to be. 1 shot on target all game and that was from El Ghazi!

I don't blame Ings, they just don't know what to do with him, an I don't think he knows what he is supposed to be doing either, same under Smith.

Edited by foreveryoung

Â