Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Chelsea

limpid

Match Polls  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/12/21 at 17:30

Another decent performance against the top 3 that showed the narrow-but-significant gap between us and them...

Ings and Watkins: Given all the possession we have, we should have had another goal. The fact that we didn't shows that our strikers are a problem right now. Ings continues to get into good positions but has lost his shooting boots. Watkins has been scoring when he gets into good positions, but continues to try to force things from bad positions. We need to do better up front.

Sanson: My MOM. Best match I've seen him play in a Villa shirt. Not because he was spectacular, but he did a lot of good things and showed a touch of class.

Dougie: I was curious how he'd react to playing deep again in Naka's absence after having more freedom under Gerrard. Did well with it.

Ramsey: Have to mention him, too, because midfield as a whole looked good despite missing McGinn and Naka. Some good runs.

Cash: Excellent except for two moments of madness, one of which proved costly.

Targett: Getting back to his best defending. Crossing is still a little off, but getting better.

Mings: Why oh why oh why didn't you jump?

Martinez: He's Emi, need I say more?

Best of Chelsea: I knew we were in trouble when Lukaku came on. He always plays well against us. As for Mendy...in the past, he's impressed me with his reflexes. Today, he impressed me with the Neuer sweeper-keeper imitation that cost us a couple opportunities.

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Another “glorious failure” against a top side .

Some nice slick play at times  , we just need that little bit of skill and killer striker and we won’t be far off beating these top teams on our day… 

thought Doug was the best midfielder on the pitch today , was also impressed by JJ and Sanson … McGinn doesn’t get straight back in the team based on today , he has to earn it .

Not long til we see what Gerrard wants in the Jan window 

Really I think Mcginn strolls back in.

There's only Luiz who looked anything like in midfield. Probably Sanson was the least worst of the others  - based on an energetic 25 minutes.

6 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Buendía fan club getting tiresome - another poor game. 

Did 1 good pass in the game and people getting wet. 

Gave it away every other pass and tantrums constantly. 

We made chelsea look good with abysmal attacking decision making 

Buendia is good when he’s playing from the right, he’s not good playing as a 10 behind 2 strikers. Don’t think it’s any more complicated than that. 

Maybe Gerrard needed to show Purslow that Watkins and Ings can’t play together,  and that it wasn’t a Dean Smith problem but a Purslow picking transfers problem.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah but what could we do?  their talent changed it for them.

I think if we pulled Targett and Cash back, took off Ollie for Ghazi or Bert and stopped two of our mids dropping into the back 4 we might have got something. It was stupid to continue it for 45 minutes. Carney coming on and having to cover Cash at right back so he can get forward? That’s never working. Ghazis shot was our first on target we were never going to get anything. They’ve 3 at the back and we’re trying to play it through the middle the whole second half it was too easy for them. Once silva went of we should have pushed for it he held them together in the first half 

8 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Just like in the reverse fixture, Tuchel's tactics at half time were the difference.

Bringing on a £100m striker is hardly tactical genius though is it? The difference was that they had Lukaku on the bench and out options to change it up are El Ghazi, a half fit Traore and an 18 year old kid. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Because Chelsea played terrible and we opened them up enough times to win the game - all their chances were from errors too. 

They didn’t play terribly. They weren’t great in the first half but the second half they were a completely different animal.

1 minute ago, TomC said:

Another decent performance against the top 3 that showed the narrow-but-significant gap between us and them...

Ings and Watkins: Given all the possession we have, we should have had another goal. The fact that we didn't shows that our strikers are a problem right now. Ings continues to get into good positions but has lost his shooting boots. Watkins has been scoring when he gets into good positions, but continues to try to force things from bad positions. We need to do better up front.

Sanson: My MOM. Best match I've seen him play in a Villa shirt. Not because he was spectacular, but he did a lot of good things and showed a touch of class.

Dougie: I was curious how he'd react to playing deep again in Naka's absence after having more freedom under Gerrard. Did well with it.

Ramsey: Have to mention him, too, because midfield as a whole looked good despite missing McGinn and Naka. Some good runs.

Cash: Excellent except for two moments of madness, one of which proved costly.

Targett: Getting back to his best defending. Crossing is still a little off, but getting better.

Mings: Why oh why oh why didn't you jump?

Martinez: He's Emi, need I say more?

Best of Chelsea: I knew we were in trouble when Lukaku came on. He always plays well against us. As for Mendy...in the past, he's impressed me with his reflexes. Today, he impressed me with the Neuer sweeper-keeper imitation that cost us a couple opportunities.

I thought Sanson went AWOL after 25 minutes.

Great play at times in the first half, but Ollie has to make better decisions and be sharper in the box. Cash pen was pointless, he has to be smarter there. Then, whatever the halftime talk was, it was rubbish. Came out slow, didn't react to their changes in time, then took the wrong players off just as we were getting back into the game. Konsa has a case that Lukaku's arm sends him to ground in the first place, but those will always be given to the Sky 6.

Overall verdict: Should've stayed in bed.

Just now, Awol said:

Buendia is good when he’s playing from the right, he’s not good playing as a 10 behind 2 strikers. Don’t think it’s any more complicated than that. 

Maybe Gerrard needed to show Purslow that Watkins and Ings can’t play together,  and that it wasn’t a Dean Smith problem but a Purslow picking transfers problem.  

Quote from Buendia himself:

"At first, I played on the right wing, but with the freedom I can move around. For most of my life, my position has been the number ten behind the striker, but with this system, it doesn’t matter for me if I’m there or on the left or right wing."

1 minute ago, Paul33 said:

Ings and Watkins have surely now proven that they don't work together. Ollie has to play as the lone central striker ..... we get 50% Watkins playing him anywhere else.

Why Watkins, he looks so out of form.  Ings isnt looking any better but Watkins got time on his own in the second half and looked poor.  His decision making is just really bad at the moment

2 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

JJ never showed

Dont agree with this

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Chelsea aren’t fighting Man City for the title. They’re nowhere near it

My mistake. I thought they were 3 points back if they won. Regardless, this is a damn good Chelsea team and the second half they were vastly superior to us.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Not sure, we have 2 strikers who don't know where the net is at the moment. Ollie has been poor since he had his child, sharpness has gone, he is no longer that pest in the box he used to be.

I don't blame Ings, they just don't know what to do with him, an I don't think he knows what he is supposed to be doing either, same under Smith.

With the disruption of changing managers and covid, it doesn't surprise me that mediocre players are struggling.

If we add quality in the areas I suggest, this will settle the rest of the team and over the next 2 years Ings and Ollie will be good enough to get us goals.

I do agree though that long term we need better, but I think archer could be a part of that solution.  I don't think we have any youth not already involved that could be used this season, so we need to buy.

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

My mistake. I thought they were 3 points back if they won. Regardless, this is a damn good Chelsea team and the second half they were vastly superior to us.

Not even in terms of points mate city are miles apart in quality and results. After that first half we could have got a result. Tuchel made the changes and we didn’t that was the difference 

Â