Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Chelsea

limpid

Match Polls  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/12/21 at 17:30

Just now, tinker said:

You could argue the Chelsea defense was the difference, they made some great interceptions and blocks in the first half when we had half chances. The second we gave them a free header and a free run at goal bringing them down in the box when we should done it outside the area, niave .

I'd go even further I thought Silva was brilliant first half with some shades of McGrath in that him in the right place at the right time and looking composed when in trouble.  Never will be as good as McGrath but i liked some of the things he did and reminded me of the great man.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

some strikers score loads against a particular club, Lukaku has a history of enjoying scoring down the years against us.

A latter day Robbie Fowler as far as I remember, with respect to villa

• Like 2

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

he's in poor form imo.

that doesn't mean I don't think he's a good footballer. he's been great for us, but this year he just hasn't hit the ground running. I really hope he comes good the second half of the season, but right now he's nowhere near it.

I agree, the Ollie of last season would love being in this current team, sadly his clone seems to not be as good at the moment.  Roll on second half of the season.

2 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

a chance is a chance to score we had many chances to score but the wrong pass or shot was chosen

we just didnt have many chances to score...a few half chances or if we had taken a different route then maybe but chances are stretching the definition of the word

• Like 1

Very good first half, poor 2nd half. They bought on a World Class forward and it changed the game. Watkins needs to play up front, him and Ings doesn’t work and Watkins offers more as the lone striker. Frustrating result to lose 3-1 when Chelsea weren’t that good.

6 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

No issue with either pen, but the refereeing was generally poor today. Gave us next to nothing in the middle of the park.

Our passing in the 2nd half was diabolical. We still struggle against teams with a high press - a hang over issue from the previous regime for Gerrard and co to work on.

Thought the ref was fine to be fair. Didn’t agree with everything but I thought he gave plenty of decisions to us, just no pens, although we didn’t deserve one.

Can’t blame the ref and Chelsea were not incredible, this one is on us. And Lukaku.

We are getting a touch predictable really aren't we? Our shape and tactics were obvious and then, unlike Chelsea, we didn't change either when we were under a lot of pressure. We ultimately paid the price.

Lots of people saying we don't have a 95m striker on the bench and whilst that's obviously true, it wasn't just Lukaku that changed the game for Tuchel, it was a total change of approach.

We didn't change ours at all and created very little to worry them as a result. We were easy to deal with all over the pitch.

3 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

A latter day Robbie Fowler as far as I remember, with respect to villa

dont remind me, too many games sitting in the Holte or the away end at Anfield with him scoring.  The worst being Old trafford (neutral ground), I think semi's of the FA Cup and Fowler scored early and late in a 3-0 win for them which felt like we battered them all game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Just from observation of body language and interaction on the pitch, I would be completely confident in saying that Ollie is not happy sharing attacking duties with Ings. He clearly prefers the freedom to play anywhere across the front and without the need to have to consider where Ings is.

I don't blame Ings for that but if we want the best out of Ollie then we need to make sure we limit his need to make the sort of decisions required to make an effective double act and leave him to be a selfish, greedy, single minded striker which most effective strikers are.  

Watkins hasnt done it when Ings hasnt been on the pitch all season, his attitude has been the same on the pitch whether he's on his own or not. 

Not sure what's going on with him. 

Yes it maybe an excuse when Ings is on the pitch but what is the excuse when Ollie is on his own up front this season and still does the same. 

Something is wrong with him this season.

11 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

a chance is a chance to score we had many chances to score but the wrong pass or shot was chosen

There were quite a few through balls too, to the strikers and they were just too slow, Ings and Watkins, not making the runs.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Not this season he hasnt

He’s been better when he has played upfront on his own, than he does out wide. He’s also better than Ings in the lone striker role. Yes, he hasn’t been as good as last season but he’s still our best option there. 

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He's still a bit upset obviously 🤣

I think it's a bit pointless to make every post about Dean Smith when he left the club weeks ago.

But carry on if that's what you want to advocate for.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not sure what's going on with him. 

Yes it maybe an excuse when Ings is on the pitch but what is the excuse when Ollie is on his own up front this season and still does the same. 

Something is wrong with him this season.

He clearly misses a certain £100 mil player who would get the ball into the box and create an absolute ton of chances for him. JG and Ollie were great together a lot of the time. I’m not sure we’d have taken to Ollie as much without Jack to create for him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WHY said:

He’s been better when he has played upfront on his own

by about 1% but well below average

3 minutes ago, WHY said:

He’s also better than Ings in the lone striker role.

Hmmm not convinced either way to be honest, they both have been off form to make that judgement.  Ollie of last season would blow both these away for the lone role, sadly he's not around at the moment even when Ollie is playing alone up front.

5 minutes ago, WHY said:

Yes, he hasn’t been as good as last season but he’s still our best option there. 

Depends on the game to be honest and the tactics, I can see Ings being better for some games and Ollie being better for other games style wise.

Â