Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Chelsea

limpid

Match Polls  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/12/21 at 17:30

5 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

He clearly misses a certain £100 mil player who would get the ball into the box and create an absolute ton of chances for him. JG and Ollie were great together a lot of the time. I’m not sure we’d have taken to Ollie as much without Jack to create for him.

A very good point!  Maybe Jack made Ollie look better than he actually is.  Something I will ponder further as Yoda would say!

giphy.gif

Edited by nick76

Issue with Watkins is his lack of vision in final 3rd. Got into some really good positions tonight where he could’ve laid off a pass to Ings (2 occasions i can think of) that probably would’ve created a scoring opportunity but he just doesn’t have the awareness of what’s around him. Hopefully this is something the coaching team can work on as at the moment it’s blunting the attack. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Lukaku changed the game. 

I'd say Tuchel changed the game - he saw a tactical battle he was losing, took off a centre half and brought on a striker and changed the pattern of the game. Of course it helps when that striker is one of the best in the business.

• Thanks 1

The second half was as bad a performance that I have seen for a while. Mings was shocking for the goal. Did he really expect to lever Lukaku out of the way for the goal? That's either a bad decision, lazy or being unwilling to put yourself where it might hurt. I expect better from our captain.

Edited by USA_Villa
Missed a word

8 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Truly believe we may have taken something with him on the sidelines. Brings an intensity and game management that I'm not sure is there without him. 

I think it's guidance and a plan we need. We had the intensity for 25 minutes. But you can't keep that up against the better sides.

We seem to have less idea each time we play. A few moments of individual skill bag us the points against the minnows. 

5 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Utterly bizarre comment IMO

What's bizarre about it? I was replying to a post on the topic of any of our players being replaceable. Of course they are. We have a bang average squad, capable of finishing midtable. There is precisely one really, really good player in the team. I'm not saying we need to replace the whole squad, but yes, all of the others are absolutely replacable, have their price, and I wouldn't be upset if we tried to upgrade on them. Pretty much every team south of 4th place is in a similar position, of course, and it's a question of value for money and which positions you can get away with "ok" players with the right quality around them.

I've come to realize that Villa having a lot less possession will be the new norm, whether I like it or not. We are going to be more of a counter attacking, but 31% possession at home is not what I was hoping for, even if it was against Chelsea.

1 hour ago, Paul33 said:

Just from observation of body language and interaction on the pitch, I would be completely confident in saying that Ollie is not happy sharing attacking duties with Ings. He clearly prefers the freedom to play anywhere across the front and without the need to have to consider where Ings is. 

He's not effective in midfield and you get the feeling he knows it. 

This for me is a Highlander partnership.

23 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Truly believe we may have taken something with him on the sidelines. Brings an intensity and game management that I'm not sure is there without him. 

He'd certainly have clocked how passive we were start of second half. Were just letting Chelsea pass it around for a good five minutes before the second goal. Might've put the double subs on a little earlier aswell.

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What's bizarre about it? I was replying to a post on the topic of any of our players being replaceable. Of course they are. We have a bang average squad, capable of finishing midtable. There is precisely one really, really good player in the team. I'm not saying we need to replace the whole squad, but yes, all of the others are absolutely replacable, have their price, and I wouldn't be upset if we tried to upgrade on them. Pretty much every team south of 4th place is in a similar position, of course, and it's a question of value for money and which positions you can get away with "ok" players with the right quality around them.

Aye right.

In response to your original point, there's several of our first team squad I'd be disappointed to see moved on.

Screenshot_20211226-212008_Chrome.jpg

2 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

I've come to realize that Villa having a lot less possession will be the new norm, whether I like it or not. We are going to be more of a counter attacking, but 31% possession at home is not what I was hoping for, even if it was against Chelsea.

Chelsea completely dominated second half, think first half would be a kinder view as we had spells when we knocked it around them nicely and created some good openings.

West Ham only had 36% possession defeating Chelsea 3-2 three weeks ago.

First half we looked sharp with our passing, quick and precise. Second half we were walking in our own half passing it around with no intensity. I realise we was probably getting tired, but Stevie would have brought the passion to push a bit more. I didn't hear much from the sidelines today at all.

• Like 1

Â