Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Chelsea

limpid

Match Polls  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/12/21 at 17:30

Disappointing score line. Just not good enough today, looked like a dip in performance compared with recent games.

Ings throws the balance, and he doesn’t look sharp either. Thought Bertie looked hungry and sharp, thought Sanson had a reasonable outing too, hope he builds on this. Not enough threat you front, Watkins’s definitely better up front on his own. 

I think if we can upgrade Mings we should. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Add to that, the worst attacking decision making you'll see at the top level.

Really was terrible. Expect better from a forward line that cost over 80m combined 

Just now, osmark86 said:

it's not a fan club, we're probably just a little more patient and also see that all he does isn't pure shit.

that being said, he wasn't good today overall.

His attitude stinks thats why I have limited patience. 

Constant tantrums when others make mistakes but he makes them constantly. 

Stormed off the other week when he got subbed.

1 minute ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Played Ok, created chances but didn't finish them off, then ran out of ideas and creativity

I think we just saw the difference between a middle of the league team and a top 6 team, it cant all be achieved by just hard work. We also need players in the same category as they have 

I thought we ran out energy - the ideas were never there imo.

Sure a couple of defence passes put us in mildly threatening positions - but other than that we looked like headless chickens.

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

Just like in the reverse fixture, Tuchel's tactics at half time were the difference.

I'm not sure I agree, they have Lukaku on the bench, we have Keinan Davis.  Lukaku coming on changed that game to strongly in their favour.

• Like 1

I dislike the lack of consistency that has plagued Villa for decades. When we have a shit defence we seem to have attackers that can score, but when we have a decent defence our attackers turn into the most average players on the planet. I totally understand that this lack of consistency and balance is why we are a mid-table team, but it is so frustrating to see it again and again. How many chances did we have today? How many times does Ings have to take 6 touches only to choose to pass it backwards? How many times does Watkins have to boot the ball into a defender before realising that doesn't work? This was a nothing game, we were likely never getting 3 points against Chelsea so my gripe isn't with that prophecy coming true. My issue is with our attackers being average currently. Buendia played so many great through balls today and we had our first shot on target in the 86th minute, what's that about? 

Overall I thought we played well. We were passing well in the first half, we didn't look out of place and despite a dip in performance at the start of the second half I also thought we grew into that half well, but we just don't look like scoring when our strikers are playing like absolute shit.  

• Like 1

Very disappointing. Still a lot of work to do clearly and clearly we need a couple of quality signings in January if available. Gerrard missing today hindered us.

Chelsea are good but have been off form for weeks and once again Lukaku looks a world beater against us despite being recently injured/out of form/out with COVID.

Basically gifted them two goals through penalties by making brainless decisions when defending which we do time and again against the better teams. 

Need to bounce back next weekend against Brentford. We usually beat the teams in and around us or below us. 

We can’t deal with Lukaku. Their £90m sub. Second half was disappointing, and we looked knackered.

First half was very good and we should have been ahead at the break. 

Just now, nick76 said:

I'm not sure I agree, they have Lukaku on the bench, we have Keinan Davis.  Lukaku coming on changed that game to strongly in their favour.

But he also switched pulisic which was effective 

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

We created a tonne. The lack of shots on goal was down to ridiculously poor decision making when in front of goal. We shot at least 5 times at the first defender, instead of passing, or an earlier shot.

Good chances, I dont think we created good chances.  

Considering the strength of the opposition I thought we did quite well in the first half, starting the second half so slowly and Lukaku coming on changed the game. Only positives for me were Ramsey looking good, Sanson and Traore getting game time. Too many misplaced passes in the second half meant we didn’t have much possession.

Moronic decision making threw the point away.

No Gerrard and subs were 15 minutes too late

Emi giving the ball away 90% of the time

Ings not anticipating passes or being too slow 90% of the time, was crystal clear both needed hauling off after 50-55 minutes.

Suprised at how many times Ramsey with target in front of him unmarked, was ignored and the ball played back to mings, counted 5 or 6 times in the space of 15 minutes.

We were guilty today of over negativity several times and then old habits creeping back in.

It's as if while Gerrard is away they can't step up.

1st half there was aggression and pace, 2nd half stand off no aggression no pace and giving the ball away every time we got near their penalty area.

Louiz mom for me there's wasn't much competition in the end, we folded as we always do to Chelsea.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Proper frustrated with that loss. As good as gave it to them. We need a change somewhere if we are only going to compete against the shite. There for the taking today yet again.

All 3 goals came down to individual errors.  Not a lot SG can do about those.

Generally, I'd say the squad just isn't good enough, needs a lot more quality.

A new cm, lb, cb, and maybe an am all better than what we have is needed really.  If we get 2 in Jan and 2 over the summer we could make a challenge for European places next season.

Â