Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Chelsea

limpid

Match Polls  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/12/21 at 17:30

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As I said. Carry on dwelling. 

I’m happy to look at the bigger picture and keep some perspective. 

I'm happy looking at the bigger picture too but will keep calling out poor performances when I see one. 

37 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They are not irrelevant. I was pointing out the calibre of the opposition.  I will see us failing to beat the likes of Brentford, Newcastle, Burnley etc as missed opportunities. Not defeats to a very strong Chelsea team that brings on 150m+ worth of talent in the second half. 

Just my opinion. Fans can dwell on losing to Chelsea if they must. 

I'm not dwelling on losing to Chelsea, the facts are they weren't in great form and we had the opportunity to get something from the game.

Brighton a team we beat 5 weeks ago, just got a point from them away from home. That's my point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

I'm not dwelling on losing to Chelsea, the facts are they weren't in great form and we had the opportunity to get something from the game.

Brighton a team we beat 5 weeks ago, just got a point from them away from home. That's my point.

That’s fair enough and if we are talking about this game in isolation (which is fair as it’s the Chelsea thread), I agree we were poor and could have got something out the game if played better. However there are some judging our whole period under Gerrard by this one game with comments like we’re not good enough, still the same problems as previously etc etc. that’s the part I don’t agree with.  

Judge us as a team and Gerrard as a manager over a period games. Not just on one game against a top team regardless of their form.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

This fantastic Chelsea team is in terrible form. Drawing to Brighton as we speak. 

It was poor. 

Second half was I agree. Probably down to the fact there was a Covid outbreak at the club the week before that saw a game called off. There would have been a fair few that will have barely trained.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s fair enough and if we are talking about this game in isolation (which is fair as it’s the Chelsea thread), I agree we were poor and could have got something out the game if played better. However there are some judging our whole period under Gerrard by this one game with comments like we’re not good enough, still the same problems as previously etc etc. that’s the part I don’t agree with.  

Judge us as a team and Gerrard as a manager over a period games. Not just on one game against a top team regardless of their form.

Agree, with you on that front. IMO its some of the players who have question marks over them and whether they can play a part in taking the club forward.

I'm happy with Gerrard, I believe he can take the club forward, but won't be judging him till around this time next year.

• Like 1

On 28/12/2021 at 15:32, Marka Ragnos said:

I think this post does a good job of capturing the frustrations I feel about Ings and Watkins. Yes, it's a puzzle because "on paper" we should have two productive forwards. My only quibble is I'm just not persuaded either is quite at the level of forward we need, in the current PL, to take the next step in getting back to Europe as a club. The quality of football in the PL is easily the best in Europe now -- the best in the world. S'hampton never finished in the top 10 with even a red-hot Ings, and Watkins has never matched his Championship record with Brentford in the PL, unless I'm mistaken. It doesn't mean they're not fine footballers. But not fine enough for where we want to go. 

It feels like Villa are at a crossroads and need to decide what they want  to do.

it wasn't Danny Ings fault, that Southampton finished half way in the league....a 2.17:1 goal ratio is good.....anymore than its Callum Wilsons fault for Newcastle's demise.

Ollie and Danny have to do more, to unsettle defenders, waiting for the "Roy of the Rovers " pass is not enough.....just running around aimlessly, looking busy, is not enough either.

As a Striker, you have to make things happen, like Lukaku does ( yes its easy to choose him because he is one of the best)

There running needs more purpose and their challenges need more conviction.....it seems to me that them not scoring, means much.

They say " The harder you work to luckier you get"......That could be a starting point and perhaps the confidence and timing will return to them both.

• Like 1

On 27/12/2021 at 11:13, Vive_La_Villa said:

Also some seem to forget we’re playing the champions of Europe and they bought a 100m player on at half time to change the game. 

Perspective gets lost whenever we lose a game. 

VLV, you are right....but we need to be careful not to make excuses.

Last night Brentford, made themselves very hard to beat and Chelsea found it hard going....when you look carefully at the physical approach Brentford made and our standing off approach in contrast( in the second half) that we offered, its no wonder, Chelsea got more purchase on the game against us.

We clearly missed Gerrards drive and demand for intensity, during our game.....where Brentford, were intent in not letting Chelsea play, closed them down impressively.

I am not opposed to attractive football, but you have to win the right to be able to play it....We need to deny opponents much better than we did in that second half....a bit like Brentford did.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

VLV, you are right....but we need to be careful not to make excuses.

Last night Brentford, made themselves very hard to beat and Chelsea found it hard going....when you look carefully at the physical approach Brentford made and our standing off approach in contrast( in the second half) that we offered, its no wonder, Chelsea got more purchase on the game against us.

We clearly missed Gerrards drive and demand for intensity, during our game.....where Brentford, were intent in not letting Chelsea play, closed them down impressively.

I am not opposed to attractive football, but you have to win the right to be able to play it....We need to deny opponents much better than we did in that second half....a bit like Brentford did.

You mean Brighton right?  I don’t want to make excuses but the amount the intensity dropped I wonder how much not training properly for a week for many of the players had an impact.  Not sure if Brighton had the same issues.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You mean Brighton right?  I don’t want to make excuses but the amount the intensity dropped I wonder how much not training properly for a week for many of the players had an impact.  Not sure if Brighton had the same issues.  

sorry, yes, got my games mixed up.....because Brighton and Brentford, showed huge heart and willingness to deny.

Edited by TRO

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeah, you could be right, its not always easy to know.

but Sanson and Ings could have made a better effort to support Cash, for the penalty, who was left with 2 possibly 3 players to contend with.....thats not working hard enough off the ball to me.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

On 29/12/2021 at 22:01, QldVilla said:

I think Gerrard on the touchline and McGinn missing affected our drive, particularly in the second half.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think Gerrard on the touchline and McGinn missing affected our drive, particularly in the second half.

Maybe. But at the elite level if you can’t perform at a high level and motivate yourself, there’s a problem.

Not saying it’s every player, but there are a few who let themselves down with their inconsistency.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2021 at 13:40, QldVilla said:

Maybe. But at the elite level if you can’t perform at a high level and motivate yourself, there’s a problem.

Not saying it’s every player, but there are a few who let themselves down with their inconsistency.

Spurs seemed to have a problem motivating themselves prior to Conte.....even one of Englands most prolific strikers, lost his way.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Spurs seemed to have a problem motivating themselves prior to Conte.....even one of Englands most prolific strikers, lost his way.

There’s a balance between what the coach brings, clear messages and strategies and the players professionalism, abilities, motivation etc.

You can’t compare our squad to Spurs and Conte to Gerrard, it’s not apples with apples.

The reality is both teams weren’t playing great football under their previous managers and both have improved with the new manager boost. But the Spurs players wouldn’t dare not turn up under Conte, Gerard hasn’t earned that respect quite yet. 

Gerrard will get that opportunity over the next 12 months, with the signings he makes, the clear messaging and the standards he sets. I expect some current starting players not to be at the club or be  warming the bench if he makes the changes I believe he will.

6 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

There’s a balance between what the coach brings, clear messages and strategies and the players professionalism, abilities, motivation etc.

You can’t compare our squad to Spurs and Conte to Gerrard, it’s not apples with apples.

The reality is both teams weren’t playing great football under their previous managers and both have improved with the new manager boost. But the Spurs players wouldn’t dare not turn up under Conte, Gerard hasn’t earned that respect quite yet. 

Gerrard will get that opportunity over the next 12 months, with the signings he makes, the clear messaging and the standards he sets. I expect some current starting players not to be at the club or be  warming the bench if he makes the changes I believe he will.

I wasn't.....I think SG and AC have had a similar impact on their respective squads, in terms of motivation.....despite a different level of quality.

Spurs are an elite level and they couldn't motivate themselves, they needed Conte to do it...was my point.

I was responding to you saying:      But at the elite level if you can’t perform at a high level and motivate yourself, there’s a problem.

50 minutes ago, TRO said:

I wasn't.....I think SG and AC have had a similar impact on their respective squads, in terms of motivation.....despite a different level of quality.

Spurs are an elite level and they couldn't motivate themselves, they needed Conte to do it...was my point.

I was responding to you saying:      But at the elite level if you can’t perform at a high level and motivate yourself, there’s a problem.

I believe Kane’s issues where more to do with not getting his move to Man City and played a part in the dynamics of the rest of the squad.

In regards to my point, there’s some things managers can’t control and that’s the personal motivation of players to have pride in their performance and setting high standards.

Â