• Watkins
    • Bailey
    • Young (Bailey 31)
    • Chukwuemeka (Targett 67)
    • Sanson (Nakamba 71)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/12/21 at 23:59

57 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Top 3 aside the games are all close. You expect Spurs and Arsenal to pull away plus maybe Leicester and West Ham.  Beyond that not so much between teams. 

Newcastle, Norwich and one more most likely.  I don’t think we’ll get dragged in to the one more battle. 

To be honest top half should be the aim, we're only three points off it with lots of teams in and around us (e.g. Everton) in dreadful form and unlikely to win anytime soon.

I personally think to finish top 10 this season we'd only need 45-50 points, it will be nowhere near 59 points like last season.

I really don't think this team and squad should be anywhere near relegation and never should have been, it's why Smith deserved to go.

Teams that we could potentially finish above IMO:

• Newscastle, Norwich, Watford, Burnley, Leeds, Southampton, Brentford, Crystal Palace, Everton, Brighton, Leicester, Wolves

The last two are probably less likely but I think the aim has to be 9th-12th. Anything above that is very good, anything below disappointing. 

I also don't buy this idea that it doesn't matter where we finish because it absolutely does matter and the owners will still be looking to improve on last season.

• Like 1

We gave them a game and had a few teething issues but a month ago we would have been chasing shadows. The progress under the new coaches has led to us being able to stay in a game against top sides. We found playing out from the back in the first half a step to far and hopefully we can work on that, the extra training may have been baileys problem but we have to live at this level and build the legs that can cope with this intensity. The goal shook them and that was another sign we are a better side who under this set up will not be allowed late mornings and lax attitude towards your profession.

I think the approach to the first half was to sit deep and counter attack, never expecting citeh to fire on all cylinders like they did. When they did the players couldn't really respond to that. They fought well, but couldn't really get things going. But citeh were really good the first 15 minutes. What a ferocious start. I think we did well not to let them create any clear cut chances during that period. Anyway, when they scored their 2nd I thought it would be over. Took a shower during half time, thought I'd be in time for the 2nd half, but when I got back it was 1-2 and we were very much in the game.

We didn't create that much but that wasn't to be expected against such a good side. But we created a few and should've had a penalty. It might not look that clear, but to me it is. Aké never touched the ball but he got Konsa from behind. I can't for my life understand why he didn't even go and check VAR. But then our not so much a Friend was in the VAR room, so very much as expected. Didn't feel that hard done by anyway, for some reason. A draw wouldn't be unfair, but a narrow loss was pretty fair both halfs considered.

Very proud of the players putting that 2nd half performance on and give it a go. I didn't want DS to get sacked, I think he could've turned things around, but at this moment I feel that SG is a level above and in the end it was the right call. It's how I feel now. I hope I still feel like that come May.

And Douglas Luiz my MotM. And Sanson showed his form from the chelsea game, which gives me even more hope of a bright future.

And did you see the reactions of their players on Ederson's save from Chukwuemeka's chance? They were more than relieved. And in the end they were actually hoofing it away a few times. That says a lot about our second half performance. I liked it, even though we lost.

UTV!

• Like 3

How it was 0-0 after 20 minutes I do not know. Had they broken us down once in that opening salvo it could have been a cricket score.  But as it was, they didn't. We held on and slowly came back into it. Going in at 2-0 I feared the worst, and I'll admit I briefly contemplated going about other things with the rest of my evening, but I'm very glad I didn't. The second half, especially with the early goal, gave us a great platform and we rattled the f**kers plenty. I'm very encouraged by pretty much everything I'm seeing from this group now. The individual performances from a lot of them seem improved, and the shape is improved too - which no doubt contributed to the 'bend don't break' of the opening 20.

I think this team are already a different prospect against all but the very best sides now. We gave City a good game and scared them on a night when City looked absolutely irresistible at times. Luiz looked a man transformed. Like he was told to play a completely different position. Perhaps there was a bit of 'here's what you could have had' towards Pep, but even still, I'll be expecting that from now on. I don't think you can fault anyone on the night. Bilva's goal will be one of the goals of the season and Martinez was unsighted for the opener. I go into the Christmas period now bouyed and unafraid of everyone else. If we can be that good against that kind of opposition in that form (absentees notwithstanding) then we can be good against anyone.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Bailey was just atrocious. If he had passed in Buendia or Watkins instead of selfishly doing yet another stepover we'd be in two great positions in the first half. Give academy players room over him tbh.

Yeah he is so selfish on the pitch. Gerrard needs to break that attitude for the benefit of his career and our team

Also, I want to say how fantastic it was for Chukwuemeka to get basically half an hour in the middle, and how well he did with it. Could have had 2 goals and should have had 1 only for a very good Ederson save. He not only 'didn't look out of place', he damn well contributed and showed remarkable composure in possession at times, for someone only barely turned 18 against Manchester City in his 2nd league appearance. We all know how highly we rate him, but there's often a difference between how highly we rate a player and how well he does in the heat of battle.  I don't think there's any worry with this one. The only worry is whether he'll stay here. I hope he has done himself no harm in teh eyes of Gerrard and can look forward to more consistent substitute appearances and to be ready if and when a starter becomes unavailable.

And with that, his competition for that place, Sanson. How nice to see him cmoe on, play well and go off because the final whistle was blown, rather than any other reason.

I think both can be massive for us this season and I think this game will be a significant one when we look back, if not for the result, for what it showed Gerrard about the squad's ability to handle pressure - something he can't see on a training pitch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

They've been doing and getting away with tactical fouls for years. Exactly as you say, whenever they lose possession, they take it in turns to make a small foul to break up play and stop/slow the counter. Doesn't get cards as looks small and is cycled between players, isn't a threat from the set piece as usually way too far out. Very cynical side. 

I didn't think the assault on Target was small, I didn't think some of the stuff on Watkins was small.....Rodrigo, was playing the man, many times in that game and got away with it.

• Like 2

When all said and done - and as much as I'd love to beat these words removed - I'd rather take a thumping home with over man ure this season (finally) and send all the loyal brummie reds fans the 3 miles back to their homes.

• Like 1

And btw, I think it might be time to replace captain Jack, now. Woodward, that is. I saw his post match interview with Gerrard earlier today and the way Gerrard looked at him after a few of the questions was like "Having to endure your questions is by far the worst part of this job." There's a seriousness and a determination within Gerrard that just feel like it clashes with Jack's lack of seriousness.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TomC said:

But he was consistent. We got away with some of the same stuff. Furthermore, it's not just Dean. All the refs seem more lenient this year.

Tom, there's one thing being lenient and trying to stamp out feigning a challenge.....but Rodrigo's challenge on target was gross, he just launched his body at him, it was right in front of us....there was others on watkins, where it was like a snow plough throught the back on him.....thats downright thuggery.....pretty footballing side, yeah ...i say to folk, check the other side of them too.

They can be very dirty.

On the evidence of this game, the pendulum for refs has gone too far the other way.

2 minutes ago, Pelle said:

And btw, I think it might be time to replace captain Jack, now. Woodward, that is. I saw his post match interview with Gerrard earlier today and the way Gerrard looked at him after a few of the questions was like "Having to endure your questions is by far the worst part of this job." There's a seriousness and a determination within Gerrard that just feel like it clashes with Jack's lack of seriousness.

I thought the same, wouldn’t be surprised if SG has a quiet word behind the scenes and Jack goes the way of the khaki tracksuits.

• Like 1

I didn’t get a chance to see the game live but caught the highlights. Seems we played well. Limited City to an XG of 1. 
A draw would have been a great result, on to the next one with some real confidence. 
I’ve said it many times on here but Luiz’s best position is as a box to box midfielder. I think he’ll thrive in there. Also great to see Chuk getting some minutes, if only he’d put that chance away. 
All round a very decent performance! 

2 hours ago, Pelle said:

One man for the job Rego

Edited by Follyfoot

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Also, I want to say how fantastic it was for Chukwuemeka to get basically half an hour in the middle, and how well he did with it. Could have had 2 goals and should have had 1 only for a very good Ederson save. He not only 'didn't look out of place', he damn well contributed and showed remarkable composure in possession at times, for someone only barely turned 18 against Manchester City in his 2nd league appearance. We all know how highly we rate him, but there's often a difference between how highly we rate a player and how well he does in the heat of battle.  I don't think there's any worry with this one. The only worry is whether he'll stay here. I hope he has done himself no harm in teh eyes of Gerrard and can look forward to more consistent substitute appearances and to be ready if and when a starter becomes unavailable.

You're right about Chuk.

I, personally, think he'd be mad to leave us at 18 rather than stay to be coached by Gerrard and McAllister.

4 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Bailey was just atrocious. If he had passed in Buendia or Watkins instead of selfishly doing yet another stepover we'd be in two great positions in the first half. Give academy players room over him tbh.

Totally agree! His injury in the game was a blessing in disguise. I thought we did well, we rattled City in the second half, we did well to withstand their barrage in the first half.

3 hours ago, Pelle said:

I haven’t watched the interview but Jack’s commenting is class, I’ve watched previous interviews with Jack doing it. I do agree with you he isn’t perfect with interviewing but the commentary side of things is class. I think him and Rego are perfect.

In relation to VillaTV, the only problem I have is when they commentate on away games, they don’t go to the ground and so they commentate from Villa Park watching the TV monitor. The other reason why I say this is when they commentate on away games, the background atmosphere sounds very dead. I used to prefer it a few seasons ago where they actually went to an away game and commentate.

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Game kind of reminded me of the League Cup Final. Plenty of commitment but virtually impossible to get something out of the game when you surrender the first half to them. The gap between them and us hasn't really narrowed much in 2 years but need to keep plugging away.

I said that on the way out of the ground last night. Even had that crucial reflex save from their keeper.

Â