Michael Beale

maqroll

We need to offer him terms to stay. He's only been here 6 months. This pre season was the ideal time to get the tactical plans and ideas across to the current and new players.

Leaving now may throw our pre season into a bit of a mess. Just what is not wanted. We needed continuity and may not have that, he seems important to Gerrard so it may have a bigger negative effect than some are seemingly thinking.

Edited by Pissflaps

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

If last seasons tactics were his best, then I wish him all the best 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886jsk9c357ujk3xt82xp

They were Gerrard's tactics and decisions. You'll be seeing them again next season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I'd be fairly confident we could find a replacement. Michael Beale isn't the only coach in the world with tactical knowledge.. 

If the club think in this manner then we really are in trouble.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

If the club think in this manner then we really are in trouble.

I'd imagine Michael Beale will make his own decision if he wishes to pursue other options in his career--not sure the club can do an awful lot to stop that. 

Absolutely nothing to do with thinking in a certain manner.

7 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I'd be fairly confident we could find a replacement. Michael Beale isn't the only coach in the world with tactical knowledge.. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I worry about Gerrard's tactical acumen. He's alluded before to something like "I know what I want it to look like" but conceded he isn't a training ground coach.

That's fine but getting that relationship right between manager and your lead training ground guy is really important if the manager isn't going to coach a huge amount.

Doesn't matter what's happened on the pitch, Gerrard and Beale have their ideas aligned. It's not a sure thing we'll easily replace him with anyone else even if they're a 'better' coach.

Yes that's fine and I share the same concern over Gerrard's tactical acumen, but was the same concern I had about Smith, and tbh various other managers (or "head coaches" to use a pretentious modern convention) before him

But I do not get the argument that it should be Beale over A.N.Other / Better coach, just because they have an understanding.

New "understandings" are forged all the time in football. Players are brought in constantly who need to gel with other players, coaches, managers, physios; systems. New coaches are in and out of clubs all the time.

If it's as hard for Gerrard to "gel" with an assistant as you're suggesting, then we perhaps have a much bigger problem on our hands re: personality and ego.

I don't believe that to be the case, and I maintain that there are much better coaches out there than Beale who would be able to work with Gerrard and implement an effective system of play.

Modern football is complex and nuanced but it's not bloody rocket science either, especially when you watch us play! You'd think Gerrard was trying to impose the Fibonacci sequence on our passing rhythm the way he goes on about systems etc.

Pick a style - communicate it, coach it, drill it, execute it. Any professional coach who's earned their badges and has experience at the top level of the game should be able to take our crop of players and do better with them than the current staff have managed.

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I'd imagine Michael Beale will make his own decision if he wishes to pursue other options in his career--not sure the club can do an awful lot to stop that. 

Correct.

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Absolutely nothing to do with thinking in a certain manner.

You said

8 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

That's a very foolish approach.

As inexperienced as Gerrard is I don't think he'll be as frivolous luckily.

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

Yes that's fine and I share the same concern over Gerrard's tactical acumen, but was the same concern I had about Smith, and tbh various other managers (or "head coaches" to use a pretentious modern convention) before him

But I do not get the argument that it should be Beale over A.N.Other / Better coach, just because they have an understanding.

New "understandings" are forged all the time in football. Players are brought in constantly who need to gel with other players, coaches, managers, physios; systems. New coaches are in and out of clubs all the time.

If it's as hard for Gerrard to "gel" with an assistant as you're suggesting, then we perhaps have a much bigger problem on our hands re: personality and ego.

I don't believe that to be the case, and I maintain that there are much better coaches out there than Beale who would be able to work with Gerrard and implement an effective system of play.

Modern football is complex and nuanced but it's not bloody rocket science either, especially when you watch us play! You'd think Gerrard was trying to impose the Fibonacci sequence on our passing rhythm the way he goes on about systems etc.

Pick a style - communicate it, coach it, drill it, execute it. Any professional coach who's earned their badges and has experience at the top level of the game should be able to take our crop of players and do better with them than the current staff have managed.

Agree with all this.

Would just be a pain to have to get on the same page in a big pre-season for us.

No doubt we looked poor generally last season, so this is hopefully a good thing if he does move on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Agree with all this.

Would just be a pain to have to get on the same page in a big pre-season for us.

No doubt we looked poor generally last season, so this is hopefully a good thing if he does move on.

Fair enough, would be extra work alright.

Despite our indifferent form, I think it's a real concern if Beale leaves this summer. As far as I know Gerrard's only management experience is with Beale next to him, and when Gerrard was announced everyone who knew anything about the set up said Beale's work on the training ground was a key factor behind Rangers' and Gerrard's successes. Gerrard has even said it himself.

They clearly have a good professional partnership and Gerrard is totally untested without him by his side - and there's no guarantee a replacement would be a good "fit". Fingers crossed he stays

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Beale apparently being the brains on the training pitch is a concern if we lose him

If he's so critical, Gerrard's managerial progress will stall completely. 

Fergie regularly refreshed his back room to great success. 

Just now, Dale said:

If he's so critical, Gerrard's managerial progress will stall completely. 

Fergie regularly refreshed his back room to great success. 

For control freaks like Conte or Guardiola changing assistants might not even be noticeable, but that’s not how SG has described Beale.

• Thanks 1

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

For control freaks like Conte or Guardiola changing assistants might not even be noticeable, but that’s not how SG has described Beale.

Perhaps. But if he has personal ambitions to be a number 1, he's as good as gone, Gerrard will have to work out how to coach a team without him. 

Otherwise, we may as well have just poached his assistant. 

I think it would be seriously destabilising to lose Beale now given he's been with Gerrard throughout. 

If he wants to be a number one we should tell him he can do that next summer so we've got the year to prepare and potentially get his successor in to work alongside the current set up this season. 

You'd imagine there's some loyalty to Gerrard so hopefully he won't leave us in the lurch. 

Doubt he'll leave, not even a year into the current project and about to get to work with the highest standard of player he's ever coached - future job opportunities will only improve for him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Doubt he'll leave, not even a year into the current project and about to get to work with the highest standard of player he's ever coached - future job opportunities will only improve for him.

Will it? This could be the highest his stock ever gets

If we have a terrible start next season and the manager goes he wont be getting Championship offers its the way it is

Â