Michael Beale

maqroll

It seems every summer we seem to have coaching changes.

Last summer Terry and O’Kelly, the year before we sacked Pitarch (though that was of benefit to us), and now Beale.

I hope we don’t use it as an excuse to accept a mediocre season in 22/23. Need to replace Beale with someone equally good because by all accounts he was the brains behind Gerrard’s management team.

Then again we finished 14th last season so maybe his genius is a myth. 

2 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I'd rather be a highly thought of Ass Man at Villa than manage QPR.

But does being ass man at villa get you your own PL managers job in 5 years time? 

Maybe being QPR boss does

That seems the more natural rung on the ladder

14 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

We did and we did in a very much underwhelming way. We failed to win so many games that we should of won. the games we did win were still pretty dismal.

He may improved Villa’s metrics, but the over all picture is that it didn’t transform an awful lot. We were poor, we were obvious and we didn’t achieve much more than what Smith and shakey did.

maybe it’s not having his own preseason, maybe it’s stevie G, maybe it’s the players. But I’d expect a “tactical genius” to overcome these hurdles. 

it’s a shame he won’t be proving the doubters wrong this coming season. But he’s got a big boy job now and I wish him all the best. I’m sure we will find someone else. Hopefully someone who can make a real difference. 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886m9p811ch8tm9rzijov

A lot of the games we lost/drew, we should have won. The goals we conceded can be put down to individual errors. They were contributed heavily to, by a number 6 who is not a number 6 (Luiz), and a Konsa that has forgotten how to play football. 

We've resolved both those issues already, and I expect we'll have another signing on the way to further mitigate a lot of our "unlucky" goals conceded, as well as the two complete collapses we saw from 2-0 up

The winning mentality SG has talked about seems inherent in the signings we've made so far, and I expect we'll see it in the New assistant he appoints too.

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

But does being ass man at villa get you your own PL managers job in 5 years time? 

Maybe being QPR boss does

That seems the more natural rung on the ladder

Of course it is - if he's going to make the step up to management, he has to start somewhere and that's a good level for a first managerial gig. One that many assistant managers wouldn't get offered. 

5 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I'd rather be a highly thought of Ass Man at Villa than manage QPR.

Yeah it’s a weird move for him. QPR are dog sh*t. We’ve an exciting squad full of quality players, just because he’s an assistant it’s still a much better job than managing a mediocre Champiobship outfit.

14 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

We did and we did in a very much underwhelming way. We failed to win so many games that we should of won. the games we did win were still pretty dismal.

He may improved Villa’s metrics, but the over all picture is that it didn’t transform an awful lot. We were poor, we were obvious and we didn’t achieve much more than what Smith and shakey did.

maybe it’s not having his own preseason, maybe it’s stevie G, maybe it’s the players. But I’d expect a “tactical genius” to overcome these hurdles. 

it’s a shame he won’t be proving the doubters wrong this coming season. But he’s got a big boy job now and I wish him all the best. I’m sure we will find someone else. Hopefully someone who can make a real difference. 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886m9p811ch8tm9rzijov

I mean there are limits to what you can realistically expect a coach to do. Their job is to make the team better at those metrics that you dismiss. More solid defense, more dangerous attack. Different managers will have different priorities and different ideas on how to best improve and what style will give them the best chance, but much of the rest comes down to players and their decision making/ability. 

We've seen a marked improvement on both xGA and xGF since their arrival, whole that hasn't translated to a drastic improvement in results, with Gerrards player pull you'd realistically be able to argue its only a matter of time before that work brings some rewards 

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

A lot of the games we lost/drew, we should have won. The goals we conceded can be put down to individual errors. They were contributed heavily to, by a number 6 who is not a number 6 (Luiz), and a Konsa that has forgotten how to play football. 

We've resolved both those issues already, and I expect we'll have another signing on the way to further mitigate a lot of our "unlucky" goals conceded, as well as the two complete collapses we saw from 2-0 up

The winning mentality SG has talked about seems inherent in the signings we've made so far, and I expect we'll see it in the New assistant he appoints too.

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148867cb5s8joydpjj4kvm6

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yeah it’s a weird move for him. QPR are dog sh*t. We’ve an exciting squad full of quality players, just because he’s an assistant it’s still a much better job than managing a mediocre Champiobship outfit.

Managing at championship level is 100% a step up from being an assistant manager of any prem outfit.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Way too much emphasis on Assistants and their impact over the years...  Many have come with big reputations and failed in spectacular fashion for us (McAllister 1st time, Keane, Clarke, Calderwood/Clemence, Shakespeare, etc.) and for all of Beale's reputation as a genius tactician, I didn't see anything last season which lead me to believe that was true in the slightest.  We'll bring someone else in and not much will change, IMO.  Will still play the same brand of dull and boring footy for as long as the Gerrard regime sticks around.  

spacer.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Way too much emphasis on Assistants and their impact over the years...  Many have come with big reputations and failed in spectacular fashion for us (McAllister 1st time, Keane, Clarke, Calderwood/Clemence, Shakespeare, etc.) and for all of Beale's reputation as a genius tactician, I didn't see anything last season which lead me to believe that was true in the slightest.  We'll bring someone else in and not much will change, IMO.  Will still play the same brand of dull and boring footy for as long as the Gerrard regime sticks around.  

We started well under Keane actually though probably not all his fault. He was one of the only people at the club to call out the assholes like Gabby and Delph a season before others did

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Managing at championship level is 100% a step up from being an assistant manager of any prem outfit.

Other than arteta I can't think of anyone who has made the step from assistant manager to PL manager 

If he wants to be a future PL manager then it's the way to do it

The idea that villa assistant manager is a better job seems very c&b specs to me 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i get he wants management but QPR are pants.  They have no hope of getting promoted. Would ahve been better off waiting for rangers job

They were in the playoffs nearly all of the season before a late crash 

Just now, Zatman said:

They were in the playoffs nearly all of the season before a late crash 

The late crash was terrible. I dont think warburtons a bad manager either. I think beale will struggle there 

There is no doubt SG will be devastated to lose him. He always said Beale was the hand on ‘coach’ and that he’s need ri work in football for 20years to have as much experience as him.

We have to recruit well here! 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Other than arteta I can't think of anyone who has made the step from assistant manager to PL manager 

If he wants to be a future PL manager then it's the way to do it

The idea that villa assistant manager is a better job seems very c&b specs to me 

Parker is the only recent one but Fulham were pretty much already relegated at that point but even then was the same club

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

I would label this as less than ideal, would of been nice to have some continuity in the coaching staff after all the upheaval at the start of last season.

However, if it is imminent then at least we have a little time to find and integrate a replacement before pre-season begins, and you never know, maybe a different voice in Gerrard's ear may have a positive impact.

1 minute ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I would label this as less than ideal, would of been nice to have some continuity in the coaching staff after all the upheaval at the start of last season.

However, if it is imminent then at least we have a little time to find and integrate a replacement before pre-season begins, and you never know, maybe a different voice in Gerrard's ear may have a positive impact.

Better it happens now rather than late August or mid season.

• Like 1

Â