Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

21 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

There's no bigger worry for me.

Getting the bare minimum out of incredible resources.

9th in the league since his arrival. 

I don't think there is too much to worry about at the moment. Lets see how we look at the start of next season. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

9th in the league since his arrival. 

I don't think there is too much to worry about at the moment. Lets see how we look at the start of next season. 

If we don't get better next season, it'll be a car crash of the most wondrous making. The fees and wages we're going to be paying out are so so damaging if we get the signings wrong.

I don't particularly care about being two points better off than a promoted Brentford since Gerrard came in.

It's more being behind Newcastle, Wolves, Arsenal. Teams we should be better than now. Teams we have better players than now.

Plus, we've obviously looked utter shit nearly every time we've tried to do anything other than sit with 11 behind the ball.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

If we don't get better next season, it'll be a car crash of the most wondrous making. The fees and wages we're going to be paying out are so so damaging if we get the signings wrong.

I don't particularly care about being two points better off than a promoted Brentford since Gerrard came in.

It's more being behind Newcastle, Wolves, Arsenal. Teams we should be better than now. Teams we have better players than now.

Plus, we've obviously looked utter shit nearly every time we've tried to do anything other than sit with 11 behind the ball.

Its all 'ifs' at this point. I'm prepared to give a new manager a pre-season at least. Plus we don't know who we will be signing this summer. The rumours of Suarez or James are probably just that, lazy links. 

I don't agree we have better players than Arsenal. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Gerrard needs to sort out the captain situation too in the new season

Even though I see Ming's as a good captain, he don't really control the game or understand how the midfield should be working.  Don't get me wrong I hate to big up a Liverpool player, but Henderson (who I think is a cock)  absolutely controls that Liverpool team. He is always shouting players into position. I saw him give Salah a right rollocking in a recent game when he didn't pass the ball. We have no one like this and haven't for as long as I can remember back to the O'Neil days maybe.

A few on here have watched alot of Liverpool and City recently, an even though we haven't got the players, it really highlights things which we can do better, organisation and work rate on the pitch being a couple to start. Strolling around on the pitch should not be tolerated by the captain, it certainly isn't with the top teams.

Teams are different though. I believe Man City change captain now and again and Pep stays out of it, now it’s Gundogan and he doesn’t seem to shout more than the others. Man City seem very much controlled by Pep at the touchline.

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

If we win the last 5 games, we will finish on the same points as last season.

Then if we add 11 games so to those final five games and let him manage them, it will have been a fair way to try and asses him based on " points total " against last season.

Again, seeing as he took over with 11 games already played, with a low ppg, and us in 15th.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

This is not a criticism, but I have never seen a Villa manager who is such a media darling.

I suppose he has free reign for the season, questions might be raised next season, if warranted.

• Like 1

League table since he's been here | With 1 - 2 games less played on teams directly above.

FB_IMG_1651399830091.jpg

A depressing thought is, we are literally HALF the team Liverpool are, based on these points.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

League table since he's been here | With 1 - 2 games less played on teams directly above.

FB_IMG_1651399830091.jpg

A depressing thought is, we are literally HALF the team Liverpool are, based on these points.

Well let's see how he finishes. Personally I think he will end up nearer 16th than 9th on present form. 

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Well let's see how he finishes. Personally I think he will end up nearer 16th than 9th on present form. 

Yep I started the season hopeful and ending the season apathetic.  I was even hopeful after those first six games of Gerrard given the way we were playing after the poor start to the season under Smith.  Now I’m just underwhelmed and bored! Hopefully Gerrard turns it around over the next six months but he doesn’t fill me with confidence.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I don't care massively about fictional tables where we're competing with Brentford and Southampton.

Next season I'd like 55 points. That would be towards something positive.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So this means, Newcastle's situation is also damning on the ability of:

- Brendan Rodgers

- Bruno Lage

- David Moyes

- Graham Potter

- Thomas Frank

- Patrick Viera

- Ralph Hassenhuttl

- Sean Dyche

- Rafa Benitez/ Frank Lampard

- Dean Smith

- Sean Dyche

- Roy Hodgson

- Bielsa/ Jesse Marsch

Etc.... Since Newcastle have taken more.ponts than ALL their teams since SG has been in charge. Bin the lot of those useless pricks. Lol

Newcastle/Howe has outperformed basically everyone outside the top 6.

What if he is just doing an outstanding job, compared to everyone, or would that he too straightforward and not narrative friendly enough?

Also, the 112 million they spent in January, isn't nullified just because the names aren't all " sexy " in people's eyes.

He got the players he knew would help them and how he wants to play.

It’s been poor since Xmas though.

I know you are trying to be positive despite it being poor and fair play to you but we have been poor now for almost half a season under Gerrard and apart from a few, nobody wants him sacked but we have to face reality we have been mostly poor for 2022 and he needs to address it by early next season because so far it’s really underwhelming.

It’s early days but him and his coaching team have had six months and we look poor in many aspects, some his fault and some the players.  

You can’t look at this team and think we have been unlucky, we’ve been poor in 2022 because on the whole we’ve played poorly, got the overall points we probably deserve and that sits on Gerrards shoulders and I’m not seeing glimpses of positivity to hold onto for the future.

Hopefully the summer will change that.

AFD6A1D0-152E-4192-93C9-8735AEE4DAE1.jpeg

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB1?saison_id=2021&min=18&max=35

Edited by nick76

6 hours ago, nick76 said:

It’s been poor since Xmas though.

I know you are trying to be positive despite it being poor and fair play to you but we have been poor now for almost half a season under Gerrard and apart from a few, nobody wants him sacked but we have to face reality we have been mostly poor for 2022 and he needs to address it by early next season because so far it’s really underwhelming.

It’s early days but him and his coaching team have had six months and we look poor in many aspects, some his fault and some the players.  

You can’t look at this team and think we have been unlucky, we’ve been poor in 2022 because on the whole we’ve played poorly, got the overall points we probably deserve and that sits on Gerrards shoulders and I’m not seeing glimpses of positivity to hold onto for the future.

Hopefully the summer will change that.

AFD6A1D0-152E-4192-93C9-8735AEE4DAE1.jpeg

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB1?saison_id=2021&min=18&max=35

The team has been poor for ages and the rot started way before he was appointed. If using same standards, then Smith was poor for more than half his tenure yet many wanted to keep him and still bemoan his sacking, even after he’s shown his level with Norwich.

Gerrard inherited a mentally weak imbalanced squad built by Smith so Surely Gerrard deserves time to build a team and show what he can do with his choice of squad before being written off completely ?

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

The team has been poor for ages and the rot started way before he was appointed. If using same standards, then Smith was poor for more than half his tenure yet many wanted to keep him and still bemoan his sacking, even after he’s shown his level with Norwich.

Gerrard inherited a mentally weak imbalanced squad built by Smith so Surely Gerrard deserves time to build a team and show what he can do with his choice of squad before being written off completely ?

Sure but after six months with the “upgrade” he is then surely he could’ve got more out of the current squad than he has.

Managing isn’t just about buying playing but getting the best out of players you have through coaching.  Six months isn’t a long time but also isn’t a small time to see some improvement, which we have not.

Most of these players will still be here next season, you’d expect probably at least half the first XI will likely be the same even if a busy summer transfer window (probably more) so we have to see Gerrard get the best out of players we have.  I’m not seeing improvements in almost all the players to what I was seeing previously. That is a concern.  

Gerrard was brought in to stop the “rot”, he has not.  The summer is the golden egg according to some, I hope it turns out that way and next season turns for the better but he’s not doing well so far as this “upgrade” he’s supposed to be.

(I’m ignoring the Smith part.)

• Like 3

Â