Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

The thing with Gerrard was that he expected it to be easy, probably because of who he is and his general standing in the game.

I have a totally different take. I don't think he thought it would be easy - he saw the game for long enough to know it isn't.

My take is even more cynical - it won't be easy, but I will flop from club to club for several years while earning millions because I have a recognizable name and Sky will be happy to push my name up there. 

16 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Soon clicking for him.

Once he gets those moments of magic.

Just needs a pre-season and a transfer window. It's not his team yet since some of the players were there before him. Or my favorite from hos time here: "maybe he's too tactical and the system is too complicated for this current group of players?"

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Just needs a pre-season and a transfer window. It's not his team yet since some of the players were there before him. Or my favorite from hos time here: "maybe he's too tactical and the system is too complicated for this current group of players?"

If he had of only got his own players like Joe Gomez and Oxlade Chamberlain we would have been fine. The hilarious idea that we needed a rebuild as players weren't good enough except Emi

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I have a totally different take. I don't think he thought it would be easy - he saw the game for long enough to know it isn't.

My take is even more cynical - it won't be easy, but I will flop from club to club for several years while earning millions because I have a recognizable name and Sky will be happy to push my name up there. 

The Scouse Steve Bruce, living off compensation for being shit at his job.

12 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Did anyone pick up this quote from Joe Cole at the Brighton game?

https://www.tntsports.co.uk/football/premier-league/2023-2024/unai-emery-has-taken-aston-villa-to-another-level-joe-cole-and-peter-crouch-on-unbelievable-pedigree_sto9816868/story.shtml

"Money was spent" 🤣🤣 - yes, on Coutinho, Dendoncker, Chambers and Coutinho's wages.

Digne is now looking a decent signing and you can't argue with getting Kamara to come, that was a coup, but come on ffs. As someone else just pointed out on another forum, Smith laid the proper foundations - Konsa, Mings, Ollie, Martinez, Dougie.

Very funny how much of a hold SG seems to have over all his old teammates. Barely willing to mutter a word against him it seems. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sne said:

Well he can always bring his mate Beale back now he has been sacked off at Rangers. Reunite the dream team.

• Haha 1

On 24/10/2023 at 10:03, Mic09 said:

Not sure about that. 

As a manager, you don't make those comment, full stop. Even if it affects one of the players in the squad, it's a bad outcome.

How about building morale and actually bringing a game plan to counter the Chelsea threat?

Regardless, we have shown to be the better team over the last 12 months so his point was wrong whichever way you look at it. 

Funnily enough we played very well v Chelsea so it didn't impact the players on the day. Kepa just made 3-4 World class saves all in one half and we hit the woodwork twice on top of that.

Gerrard reign was odd. I gave him a chance and in fairness there was structure in the first 2-3 months and we had some decent wins and performances. Looking back at the results we had a two and a half week break after Everton away win. Came back and we were 3-1 up v Leeds after half an hour with Coutinho putting in a world class performance and things were looking very promising indeed.

Threw that away to draw 3-3 and everything declined dramatically from that point. We then lost dismally to Newcastle (who were bottom 3 at the time) and Watford and that was when I was having my first serious doubts.

Start of the next season was just a case of wasting time as I'd have sacked him after losing to West Ham which was one of the worst games of football played anywhere last season.

He's not a coach in the mould of an Emery, Postacoglu or De Zerbi who can actually improve players on the training field and his favourite style of play is very difficult to implement so I don't really see much future for him as a manager either. Probably quite clever in a way he knows this so gone to Saudi to top up his bank balance more before the job offers dry up.

Think I'd just prefer to forget his 12 months here didn't actually happen.

Â