Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

51 minutes ago, tinker said:

Gerrard's ego is never going to work in the modern game. The way Mings was treated was a clear indication of his crap man management.  

I don’t disagree. What confuses me a little bit with people like Gerrard and Lampard is that both have spent the best part of 20yrs playing under world class managers, so you would have thought that they would at least have a little insight into what is actually required, and what “all in” really means. 

The fact that neither seems to have learned anything is staggeringly poor. 

Edited by av1

24 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

What are you on about? The idiot was literally our manager seven months ago and some posters are making some very interesting points in comparing what Unai has done with more or less the exact same personnel. Hardly like we’re resurrecting the McLeish thread. 

The post was partially in jest because I recognise it’s nice to appreciate how far we’ve come, and it’s still occasionally funny.

But I really don’t think we talked this much about McLeish after he left, or even Bruce or Dean.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, av1 said:

I don’t disagree. What confuses me a little bit with people like Gerrard and Lampard is that both have spent the best part of 20yrs playing under world class managers, so you would have thought that they would at least have a little insight into what is actually required, and what “all in” really means. 

Another fact is, players respect world class managers, they don't respect ex players who have just done there coaching badges but with no real managerial experience of how to handle world class huge egotistical players.

1 hour ago, av1 said:

It’s because they don’t know what it’s like to not be able to do something. It’s very difficult to get ideas across on how to improve when you’re naturally gifted and could perform most skills.

• Like 1

He just seems to lack the brain power to be a manager. And the humility. If he actually acknowledged that he's starting from scratch he might have a chance. But watching him in punditry he's about as insightful as Clinton Morrison.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, tinker said:

Gerrard's ego is never going to work in the modern game. The way Mings was treated was a clear indication of his crap man management.  

Plenty of these X players are uneducated,  they are picked for stardom at a very early age and their education takes a back foot while their ego takes on huge amounts of hot air. The ones that become pundits are the cream of the crop, that tells you all you need to know. 

Mings was treated poorly as was Traoré and I dare say a few others.

As for pundits, you're right. Most of them have not got a clue either. I'm not sure if it's stupidity, ignorance or a combination of both.

56 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

The post was partially in jest because I recognise it’s nice to appreciate how far we’ve come, and it’s still occasionally funny.

But I really don’t think we talked this much about McLeish after he left, or even Bruce or Dean.

The Bruce thread was added to a fair bit since his departure, about 217 pages or so by my count. We’ve created more discussion in that thread since his sacking than in the individual threads of Konsa, Cash or Purslow have in their time here.

That’s coming up to 5 years now admittedly, but I’m waiting for Bruce to jump back in the saddle one more time for another hurrah. 

My sense is that the Gerrard thread will fall away once the new season begins. Unless of course someone gives him another job (provided his eyes have been sufficiently looked into).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

Ah fair enough, it’s hard to fathom when people are being sarcastic on this forum sometimes 😂

Do agree with the other post from @Mark Albrighton that this will likely drop away next season, up until he turns up on punditry for our fixture on Amazon and takes credit for us being sat top of the league 😉

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Must have give up on management for a bit, just saw him in a Turkish airlines advert. To be fair, he was shit in that too. 😂

His Hyundai ad was supposed to sound uplifting but it sounded like he wanted to go to sleep. I've never seen someone dine out on their name as much as this guy. Opportunity just falls into his lap.

• Like 2

On 05/05/2023 at 07:51, UpTheVilla26 said:

I think it speaks volumes that since he was sacked, 22nd October, there have been 9 further Prem Managers given the boot and he's not come close to getting 1 of the jobs. 

I think it's down to 1 of 2 things. Other clubs have looked at the Gerrard/Lampard thing and realised a 'name' doesn't equal success or he thinks that highly of himself, he honestly believes he can walk into another top job based on the fact his name is Steven Gerrard and he did alright in Scotland. 

I honestly can't believe nobody in the media has called him out for what he did here. If he was a foreign manager, someone like Javi Gracia, he'd have been slaughtered by the pundits but because he's their mate, it wasn't his fault. 

In my opinion, he's the worst manager I've seen at Villa in my lifetime. I've supported Villa since the age of 8, so from around the 91/92 season. I've seen some dross in that time but mostly when we had crap squads, so you can see it was a mix or poor managerment, poor players. 

Everything was set up here for Gerrard to do well. A good squad with some talented players, owners who are on a mission to take us back up the League and into Europe and even when he was doing shit, the press had his back. He failed woefully in every aspect and I firmly believe it's down to his ego which we saw in full force in that Liverpool v Celtic charity game, I could never imagine Emery doing something like that, it was utterly cringe worthy and something I'd expect from an inexperienced young lad. 

Anyway, that's my thoughts and ultimately - f##k the prick, he's a shit manager and a shit human being. 

That's the thing. He had two thirds of a season to review the squad and come mid table, and the whole summer to rebuild. And we actually got worse.

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

His Hyundai ad was supposed to sound uplifting but it sounded like he wanted to go to sleep. 

You should listen to ''you'll never walk alone'', that's a real party starter. 

• Like 1

Â