Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

9 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

47.5 points over a season. If you consider the points required to be top half as the minimum the team finishing 10th could have got and still finished there, then 47 points would be enough in more than half of the last 20 seasons. If we are talking enough to overtake the team finishing 10th, it's still enough in about 30-40% of those seasons.

Yes it is....But will Gerrard keep up those sort of results ????

16 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I don't even watch these anymore.

The same waffled garbage repeated over and over.

In fairness, that's not just Gerrard. Press conferences are largely pointless, when you've seen one you've seen them all.

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

Wise words from someone who knows..

I think this is another one of those outsider talking bollox moments. 

Gerrard's problem isn't not being pals with the fans, it's being shit at his job, that's the problem. 

So much nonsense from these so called experts. Not a f****** clue between them. 

16 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Yes it is....But will Gerrard keep up those sort of results ????

Maybe. Maybe not. If he does, we've probably got a 50/50 chance of being top half though. And if we do have 15 points from 12 he's probably close enough to being on target for a top half finish that he'll still be here until the winter break at least (though I'd imagine if we were still on 15 at that point he'd be gone)

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Don't really understand this point. He'd be "relating" to fans just fine if he could get his team to stick the ball in the net. 

There are things he can do, like not sulking on the bench when losing and showing he cares right up to the final whistle and also not shooting straight down the tunnel at full time without acknowledging the fans.  It just smacks of someone who is a bit apathetic and it's no wonder the fans are too.

13 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

It's so sad that I hope we lose tonight 😭 

Short term pain for long time gains

Yeah sure...

Then what if the next Manager comes in, and we get relegated by 2/3 points.

OR we miss out on Europe, or top 10 - 15 by 3 points.

OR what if us being 6 points worse off than we could be with 2 wins puts us in the relegation zone instead of mid table and makes us look alot less attractive to a potential top Manager?

Although, we could just then say that the damage caused by SG was so severe that there was nothing the next man could do to fix it in only 20 games.

If the board are already planning to sack him, it won't be based on a win or loss against the 2 upcoming opposition.

Unless we beat the convincingly and comprehensively.

However, I've got a feeling people would even be upset if we won them comprehensively, because it would mean delaying " what we want ".

You've got to ask yourself if your dislike of SG overshadows what is actually best for the club.

I think a difference is that whilst alot of people agree that he probably needs to go for the greater good, it's not for the most part driven by a dislike of him, and probably more objective.

I'd actually prefer we won 10 games in a row, even if it was under SG.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah sure...

OR what if us being 6 points worse off than we could be with 2 wins puts us in the relegation zone and makes us look alot less attractive to a potential top Manager?

Although, we could just then say that the damage caused by SG was so severe that there was nothing the next man could do to fix it in only 20 games.

If the board are already planning to sack him, it won't be based on a win or loss against the 2 upcoming opposition.

However, I've got a feeling people would even be upset if we won them comprehensively, because it would mean delaying " what we want ".

You've got to ask yourself if your dislike of SG overshadows what is actually best for the club.

I think a difference is that whilst alot of people agree that he probably needs to go for the greater good, it's not for the most part driven by a dislike of him, and probably more objective.

Probably right, but maybe a loss encourages us to pull the trigger a little bit earlier and run with a caretaker instead of waiting for our preferred candidate we haven't quite yet convinced. Maybe the lift it gives our players working for our caretaker is enough to see us win our next one. We take 3 from the next 6 points available.

Alternatively we scrape a draw here...the pressure stays the same, the misery stays the same, we lose our next game then he goes.  1 point from 6 instead.

It's not black and white either way, they won't be taking it one game at a time, but sometimes a shock is needed to break the monotony and relaxed approach that has seemingly set in. 

Edited by MrBlack

The big, worrying question for me is what happens tonight? What happens Sunday?

When the writing was on the wall with Gerrard for a lot of people, he picked up a draw against Man City. That draw, and the subsequent performances, have done nothing to allay concerns people had, but nonetheless here we are, 5 games later still expecting him to ‘have the next 2 games’. 

I refused to believe we were acting on a short sighted ‘game by game’ basis, but what are we expecting tonight and Sunday? What if we take 3 points tonight from another woeful performance but with a Dougie in-swinger? You just feel it will buy him more time (amongst the board that is). 

I love this football club, and as yet I’ve never hoped we lose a game of football, but with the club increasingly looking like they’re clinging on to any short sighted way of keeping Gerrard in the job, it’s getting difficult. 

I hope we win tonight, but I’ll be happy if we lose. Although, that still doesn’t guarantee an end to this mess. 

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah sure...

OR what if us being 6 points worse off than we could be with 2 wins puts us in the relegation zone instead of mid table and makes us look alot less attractive to a potential top Manager?

Mate, we would all prefer it if we won the next 10 games in a row because then there would not be a problem.

It's just like the last days of Bruce. He is done, there is no recovering now. The longer it drags on the worse it gets. If a loss accellerates the departure then I can live with it 

I don't like or dislike Gerrard but I bloody dislike what he doing to our club.

36 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah sure...

Hypotheticals aren't really useful at this point IMO, JV. They need to look at where we're at, what he's done and the current discontent in the fan base and the conclusion has to be that he has to go. Yes, the new manager might not work out, but the current one isn't either and it's a risk that I think we need to take. 

EDIT - while I used the word risk, I don't think it is a risk. I think Gerrard is doing as badly as anyone conceivably could with this squad. Worst case is that we're still shit. 

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 2

It’s very simple for me. Having him at the club is detrimental to it. He’s been here long enough, the proof is there that he was a poor appointment and we won’t make progress or have success while he’s in charge. It was a mistake. He has done damage to the club, the squad, we have lost everything that was good or positive about us. I don’t need to go into the details, we all know and it’s been covered to death.

Just look at the feelings and emotions of the fanbase… 

The odd result here or there doesn’t and shouldn’t mask that apparent fact… we need to move on and bring in a proper manager who can, along with his own staff, coach these players and bring the best out of them.

All I see is regression and decline and it’s worrying and frustrating. Not one player has improved, they’ve all gotten worse if anything. I suspect the atmosphere is largely dull and negative and the players aren’t feeling any belief, desire, inspiration or motivation and that is affecting their games, as well as the non existent “coaching”…

Were never going to have success or progression unless we appoint a proper manager with the competent skills and attributes as well as the nous, knowledge and expertise to get us to where we want to go.

Until we do that, it’s all just hollow words and sound bites.

We’re just going to keep wasting time and money unless we get it right and make good decisions.

This was an abysmal one, let’s rectify it. We’re worse off than before he ever arrived - simply unacceptable.

It is indefensible.

• Like 2

Â