Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Said the same about Arteta a year ago...

This is just clutching though. For every Arteta that turning a bad start into a success, there's plenty that have failed. 

The context and the jobs they were doing aren't even relevant to bring this comparison out. It's a weak defence for our under performing manager.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

What was it then?

Why don't you try watching the full interview and understanding what he said in the context of the full interview. Just in case you didn't know, words get their meaning from the other words they're used with.

It's funny, because I think in the interview last night he said a lot of the things many on here have said, and accepted and owned many of the criticisms that have been echoed here too.

Then you come to this thread and those same people are taking abstract sentences from what he said and somewhat maliciously and misleadingly try to skew these sentences to have negative connotations that weren't even there. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

This is just clutching though. For every Arteta that turning a bad start into a success, there's plenty that have failed. 

The context and the jobs they were doing aren't even relevant to bring this comparison out. It's a weak defence for our under performing manager.

But all you've done here is clutch the other end of the straw.

• Confused 1

Just a thought, we go on about tactics and teams trying different ways to break down each others tactics.

As we dont seem to have any tactics, is this Gerrards plan all along to confuse the opposition (and us!) and hope to win by this radical method?

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

But he continues to talk like we're a newly promoted team who haven't spent much money. Not a team whose CEO said anything but a top half finish was unacceptable. 

Yes technically the CEO implied a top half finish, but what he meant was a top half finish once you discount the top 6. So that could be 13th, which he can laud as progress after last season’s disappointing 14th. Clever bloke that Purslow, he knows his way around a technicality when needed to put a positive spin on a situation. 

• Haha 3

We ground out 3 points and I know I should feel happy about that, but yesterday with a team worth 100s of millions with some of the best players we have ever had, we played worst than we did under McCleish and made Bruce look a tactical genius by comparison.

If we use this result as a stepping stone to gain confidence and regain some composure and ability to pass/keep possession then fair enough, I'll always want to see us do well and win games regardless of the manager. You would have thought the City game would have seen us push on.

I hope i am proven wrong, but I have zero faith in Gerrard to get the best out of this squad. Grinding out the occasional eye wateringly bad win or draw against the worst teams to keep us teetering above the relegation zone is not where we should be with these players.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

No it isn't, did actually happen. Hence true.

8 minutes ago, smokingzen said:

But all you've done here is clutch the other end of the straw.

Also true.

55 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Does he talk about our quality? 

He's said the exciting, pretty football has to be sacrificed. When have we seen exciting, pretty football under him?

He talks like there's no way we can win unless we go ultra defensive and play ugly football. Do you hear any other managers aiming for the top half and a potential European fight talk this way? 

Listen to his interview on the OS. It may be different to one you have heard. It’s absolutely clear. 

1 hour ago, smokingzen said:

Why don't you try watching the full interview and understanding what he said in the context of the full interview. Just in case you didn't know, words get their meaning from the other words they're used with.

It's funny, because I think in the interview last night he said a lot of the things many on here have said, and accepted and owned many of the criticisms that have been echoed here too.

Then you come to this thread and those same people are taking abstract sentences from what he said and somewhat maliciously and misleadingly try to skew these sentences to have negative connotations that weren't even there. 

Haha the tone of that. Someone asked about what the comments about Critchley were and the only thing i can attribute to that was when he mentioned we’ve changed coaches and along the lines of maybe both he and Beale wanted to get us up the pitch quicker 

4 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Haha the tone of that. Someone asked about what the comments about Critchley were and the only thing i can attribute to that was when he mentioned we’ve changed coaches and along the lines of maybe both he and Beale wanted to get us up the pitch quicker 

I must admit I thought he was quite honest and humble to be fair.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Nowhere does he blame Critchley though as you put it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Another tailor made interview with his best buddies and no difficult questions asked.

When he starts coming out with stuff like roll their sleeves up e.t.c it's almost as if Bruce is back in charge.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

But he's the manager and we need to support him and the team.

Gerrard is a rookie manager, it was the decision of Villa not me. I just support the way and manager...

Villa currently have the best players we have seen for quite some time, perhaps there are too many individual talents, perhaps it is because we have an inexperienced manager...

Who knows I'm just a fan not the one who makes decision and nor am I accountable for my views on VT. 

Seems contrary to not want the manager, be supportive and proven correct. To have all three seems weird. Hence they are far from correct as Gerrard is the manager and will be for some considerable time yet. Again, sounds subjective to me.

It's just the same noise and moaning.

I'd take scrappy performances it it means getting points on the table. Villa have for years been too soft, I want a pragmatic and hard to beat Villa team.

If you are happy to let him `learn on the job' while the club flounders around the bottom half of the table, then that is absolutely up to you, but I expect better from a very well paid manager.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Been watching Newcastle v Bournemouth.

In fairness, if this was our team, SG would be getting slaughtered for not being able to break them down and only equalising through a penalty.

( Yes I know, Eddie Ten Howe has credit in the bank due to excellent turn around ) but i'm just again pointing out that, games aren't won or lost on paper. Opposition always has a part to play in results. You can only beat what is in front of you.

No one thinks that Howe is a long term manager (it was a big mistake they gave him a long contract). But atleast they have an identity. They’re very hard to beat. They don’t win easily though. We don’t have an identity, we lose easily and when we win, we win ugly. Our better players are on bench. We don’t utilize our best qualities. We keep doing the same mistakes and repeat them. 
Sadly, our Board and Squad are much higher than our managers that we’re having. It’s really sad as it’s a missed opportunity.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Were worse now than when he was here.

We at least looked like there was a gameplan and system in place.

We may be worse now but that's not saying much.

To me, there did not seem to be the gameplan or system to which you allude.

We seem to be debating degrees of awfulness. 😀

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Another tailor made interview with his best buddies and no difficult questions asked.

When he starts coming out with stuff like roll their sleeves up e.t.c it's almost as if Bruce is back in charge.

I had a moment of PTSD when I got to the bit about rolling our sleeves up.

2 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Listen to his interview on the OS. It may be different to one you have heard. It’s absolutely clear. 

OK fair enough. Maybe I've missed it. But my point still stands to some extent. He's talking about playing ugly defensive football as the only way to succeed at the moment. We've got our captain saying he wouldn't watch us on the TV. 

I don't see any other teams aiming for that top half talking this way. 

For me he seems to be downplaying his flaws and exaggerating the difficulty of his job and task. 

Â