Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, Follyfoot said:

Is there anyone who actually believes he has a chance of turning this around ?

Even if he does in the short term, i have no confidence in the long term due to many things that just wont change (like formation/tactics/use of players etc).

I suppose Purslow might tho......

• Like 2

On 10/09/2022 at 03:11, Tomaszk said:

That's just the transfer fees.

As anyone with a brain knows, it's the wages that are really the killer if you aren't succeeding on the pitch.

When he leaves he'll leave three additions over 30 costing the club about £20m a season. Hopefully a proper manager can get them playing.

Yep. very big worry for me this, I can accept thinking we might need more experience but throwing the previous philosophy out the window looks a bit like maybe Lange has been undermined or that the DoF role is not strongly defined enough. Shouldn't be that football philosophy on and off field completely changes when we change the coaching. Paying massive wages to players on their last contract is not a recipe for success.

• Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Depends on what turning around means. If that means finishing fairly clear of the relegation zone but nowhere near a European spot then I would say yes he has a chance.

If that means a top 10 finish then no.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Yes, in that I think unless he is relieved of his duties we will finish where I expected us to, 8-11th.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yep. very big worry for me this, I can accept thinking we might need more experience but throwing the previous philosophy out the window looks a bit like maybe Lange has been undermined or that the DoF role is not strongly defined enough. Shouldn't be that football philosophy on and off field completely changes when we change the coaching. Paying massive wages to players on their last contract is not a recipe for success.

Same here we seem to have suddenly changed a philosophy for no other reason than to go with project Gerrard. If this is how Purslow is running the sharp end of the club, it’s a massive concern. It doesn’t follow any sort of plan.

People keep saying he’s a brilliant businessman but I’m not entirely convinced. Yes he’s much better than the clown he replaced under the former regime, but for some reason we’ve completely changed tack. It was fairly obvious what the previous plan was but like the manager’s game plan and tactics it has now become a confused mess. 

If Steve Gerrard has effectively been handed massive control of our transfer policy as well as the coaching, which he apparently doesn’t do, then the man who appointed him needs to answer some tricky questions. We could be entering into another difficult period for the club. It may become a case of, sack one, sack one free before too long. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I wish I had your confidence Jim. 

If we don't get back on the right track to finishing in those places, then he will be sacked and rightly so. 

I do think he will be given more time than many on here will like though, unless of course we get our bums spanked by the Saints.

Edited by jim
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, jim said:

Yes, in that I think unless he is relieved of his duties we will finish where I expected us to, 8-11th.

Just out of interest Jim and I know there are lots of unknowns here, where do you see us finishing if he is relieved of his duties?

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

Just out of interest Jim and I know there are lots of unknowns here, where do you see us finishing if he is relieved of his duties?

20th 😎

Edit, in all seriousness I think he would leave behind a squad in a decent state. I don't buy into this 'set us back years' nonsense. Depending on how long the new guy gets and who it is we should be aiming for 10-12th.

Edited by jim
  • Like 1

Personally, I think they will sack him if we lose at home to Southampton on Friday night. I do not believe for one second that Villa Park will be anything other than toxic on Friday if he plays the same old faces, the team looks clueless and we lose. I can even see a cabbage making its way into the ground just in case it needs to be thrown. I'd do it myself but I'll be with the prawn sandwich brigade on the opposite side and my throwing arm isn't quite what it used to be. 

7 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Personally, I think they will sack him if we lose at home to Southampton on Friday night. I do not believe for one second that Villa Park will be anything other than toxic on Friday if he plays the same old faces, the team looks clueless and we lose. I can even see a cabbage making its way into the ground just in case it needs to be thrown. I'd do it myself but I'll be with the prawn sandwich brigade on the opposite side and my throwing arm isn't quite what it used to be. 

sprouts?

18 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I don’t know what other faces could play…

Everyone one of us fans would picked different styles and formations, but the faces are barely going to be much different surely? 

44 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I think we will win against Saints assuming we don't concede 3 free kicks 25 yards out.  I wonder whether Nas and Wes might be more worried if they see empty seats (my lord) with the stadium expansion coming up.  They won't want to see complete apathy from the fans creeping back in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jim said:

20th 😎

Edit, in all seriousness I think he would leave behind a squad in a decent state. I don't buy into this 'set us back years' nonsense. Depending on how long the new guy gets and who it is we should be aiming for 10-12th.

Of course it very much depends on who we get next, if we do make a chabge. I was originally supportive of this appointment but I’m now somewhat doubtful. I have some misgivings as to how the club seems to have changed direction and I’m not sure we’ve altered to a better course. It might be that I just spend too much time in here and  a good performance and result on Friday might get us back on track and change the mood music. We’ll see soon enough. 

• Like 1

Absolutely everything is riding on the Southampton game for Gerrard. I can’t see the board not acting if we go into the international break on the back of a home defeat to Southampton, following the already dreadful start to the season. 

Â