Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, avfc1982am said:

And.....26% possession, 3 shots on target, against a Citeh team in 2nd gear. It was a good point, but it doesn't undo the last 10 months of crap Gerrard has served up. Nobody has wanted him to balls this up, a good Villa puts us all in a good place. The facts are though he's had a long time to produce the arse end of nothing. If this isn't the catalyst for us to go 2 -3 games unbeaten at least then he needs to go anyway imo. Lose to Leicester or Southampton and I'd ensure he get's his P45 before leaving the changing room. I can't just change my mind on him over one result. Unfortunately, I just don't have it in me to be that fickle.

Is being stubborn better? Sg has earned a stop gap - we will see though. 

Credit where it’s due, he changed it up well and countered city. Most teams in world football will have less possession than city, but they did very little with it. If anything, we had the better chances.

Ive never believed he’d lost the dressing room, and the effort today showed that. 

• Like 2

On 02/09/2022 at 14:25, messi11 said:

From my sauces
Only keeping him around for the Arsenal and Man City beatings. New Manager in for the Leicester game hopefully. 

Any new spice to your sauce this evening?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TomC said:

Agreed on both points. I don't care if it's Chambers or Bednarek, I just want Konsa out.

Konsa has gone as a player. Totally lost the plot and needs to be dropped. 

His dip in form is almost as puzzling as what's happened to John McGinn. He's gone from fans singing his name to cheering when he's subbed. Where has he gone? It's like his arse has been abducted by a superior species. 

Gerrard got a response tonight, a response that I thought was impossible. They answered the question about playing for hk. So all we can assume is the players aren't comfortable playing his tactics? Sort that out and he should be OK. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Stubborn? For having an opinion on his tenure based on more than one game lol. 

Clearly there were signs today that this team is capable of more - it's not the Villa collapse of old. I personally would give it more time, but only based on today - it can yet go wrong again. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

And.....26% possession, 3 shots on target, against a Citeh team in 2nd gear. It was a good point, but it doesn't undo the last 10 months of crap Gerrard has served up. Nobody has wanted him to balls this up, a good Villa puts us all in a good place. The facts are though he's had a long time to produce the arse end of nothing. If this isn't the catalyst for us to go 2 -3 games unbeaten at least then he needs to go anyway imo. Lose to Leicester or Southampton and I'd ensure he get's his P45 before leaving the changing room. I can't just change my mind on him over one result. Unfortunately, I just don't have it in me to be that fickle.

One question was answered tonight, the players are playing for him. They must be otherwise they'd have lost as that was an easy three points to throw for them. 

With regards to team selection and tactics, I thought he was right from the off except for McGinn. But, he saw what we saw (finally) and took him off. However, putting Coutinho on is just embarrassing. Little Phil has clearly no heart for us and was appalling. He looks like he's running through mud. His head is always down. He just looks a million miles away from what we want and I wish Gerrard would wake up to that. 

Hopefully, we can kick on from this. But, I fear tonight was just a plaster put on a gaping wound. 

Edited by Villarocker
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Keener window-cleaner said:

Reverting to parking the bus and trying to nick a point doesn't change anything for me regarding Gerrard. Had we got a point playing like Newcastle did against City I would have been really impressed and would have been prepared to give Gerrard more time. 

I mean we nearly could’ve beat them….

Just now, penguin said:

The Leicester game where we’ll be looking to pick up 3 points will show whether we revert to type or can use this as a springboard to kick start some decent performances. 

6 games now with Chelsea the biggest test - confidence restored - I reckon we'll see a good return.

• Shocked 1

15 minutes ago, Jareth said:

That made sense - anyone could see that - we needed to stop Citeh. They also have conceded a lot compared to last season when they didn't have a dedicated CF - SG got those tactics spot on. 

Fully agree…..I wasn’t bemoaning the fact he kept our FBs back. I’m just not at all convinced that he has moved on from this tactical suicide and that next week we will see LD and AY propping up Leicester’s corner flags!!

• Like 1

Deserves the praise for getting a draw with Man City. Think any team in the league would take a 1-1 draw with Man City all day long so fair play. 

One game doesn’t change anything, he still needs to go and we have got 2 winnable games coming which I think a change of manager should get a crack on. Going to presumes the owners will unfortunately give him to the international break now, he needs to back this up with points against Leicester and Southampton otherwise this result means nothing. 

1 hour ago, Thug said:

I’ve been a huuuuge critic, but credit where credits is due.

He picked a team for the match.  He set his tactics for the match.  He changed his formation to counter them as he thought best. He took off a player that wasn’t keeping up with pace.

Basically, he did all the shit he’s supposed to have been doing for months now.  He finally THOUGHT about the opposition.

He’s still got a LONG way to go to redeem himself, but more of wherever that came from in the next 5 matches, and I’ll forgive him.

He’s lucky he’s still in the job, and if he was replaced tomorrow - I’d still be happy.

But I’m not baying for his blood for the time being.

Well done for doing your job (finally)

Sums up my thoughts nicely, cheers. 

• Like 1

Football is a result oriented business, and we will see how he copes with the next matches, which on paper should yield some results. There is nothing more I hope for than that Gerrard har turned the corner and suddenly found out the team, spirit and tactic.

As a side note, I really liked how pumped up our players were towards the end when they won duels and stopped big chances.

• Like 1

He has to learn from today. Nearly everybody on this messageboard has been calling for us to play a 4-3-3 or some sort of variant of that with Luiz and Kamara as the deep lying players.

Ramsey on the left makes sense but we also have Coutinho and Buendia who can perhaps play that role. 

Either way, the key is 2 centre mids sitting, and the fullbacks not playing as strikers. Make them sit back and play a genuine 4-3-3.

Learn Stevie. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jareth said:

6 games now with Chelsea the biggest test - confidence restored - I reckon we'll see a good return.

I think we heard something similar after we won against Bolton B team. Remember our points per game is 0.66, estimated to 25 points after 38 games.

If we win the next two we would look ok. Still I think that is a too big a ask to expect Gerrard to setup the team sensibly two matches in a row.

Â