Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

How bad will the defeat have to be on Saturday for him to go? 5? 6? 7? 

You can tell how bad it is when Bournemouth have only scored in one game and that was against us and, we were the first team West Ham scored against. I'm dreading the scoreline on Saturday. 

My dream weekend is that we win 7-0 and Gerrard get sacked on Sunday.

I’m sure he will set us up completely wrong again, and play both McGinn and Ramsey in midfield.

Normally we are ok against good teams, we lose but not by much. I have a feeling this will be different. Pretty sure Haaland will get his third hat-trick in a row, if not more. It could be really embarrassing in the end, maybe even into double digits. It could become very hostile and we may see some vegetables being delivered in Gerrard’s direction.

• Haha 2

The problem with playing Man City is that unless we lose something like 10-0 (which would be humiliating and severely damaging), if we sack him afterwards the media narrative will be "Villa sacked Gerrard after losing to City how ridiculous who do they think they are etc", even if the performance is absolutely inept.

Perhaps clutching at straws but;

Clearly not involved today as he was just playing around on Instagram.

Conspicuous by his absence in photos and media/comments on new signings.

No real mention from players we've bought.

Managers aren't sacked openly on Transfer Deadline Day.

Signings made are very much club/squad signings.

Has he gone already? Will it be announced tomorrow?! Please...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Interesting that Gerrard did not make any comments on the new signings on the OS today. Very rare for the manager to not make comments on new players.

Yeah if there is nothing on tomorrow's OS, he knows. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I was thinking much the same. Don’t we normally have the manager and Lange in photos with new players. 

3 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Playing around on insta is a man sitting on his sofa pissed up pining for old times

4 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Interesting that Gerrard did not make any comments on the new signings on the OS today. Very rare for the manager to not make comments on new players.

Didn't think of that. I want to believe. How amazing would it be if we announce it first thing tomorrow? Could totally understand why they wouldn't make that announcement today.

• Like 1

What struck me is the lack of questions in the interviews, particularly the Dendoncker one. Usually you'll hear, particularly with an ex-player of Gerrard's ilk, something like "and playing under someone like Steven Gerrard. What does that mean to you?" 

Absolutely no mention other than a throw away brief mention from each player about 'the manager'. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

I was thinking much the same. Don’t we normally have the manager and Lange in photos with new players. 

But normally we make planned signings where there’s plenty of time to arrange those photos. Today was more of trolley dash, difficult to get people in the studio that quick.

But hope I’m wrong of course

13 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

But normally we make planned signings where there’s plenty of time to arrange those photos. Today was more of trolley dash, difficult to get people in the studio that quick.

But hope I’m wrong of course

That’s true. I just have a sense he’s more removed from what’s going on. And why would we turn down 25 million for a player Gerrard doesn’t even select in his 11 and we could lose for free. Are we keeping him for a new manager who will get him to sign a new contract. Bordering on crazy conspiracy theories here I’m aware!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

That’s true. I just have a sense he’s more removed from what’s going on. And why would we turn down 25 million for a player Gerrard doesn’t even select in his 11 and we could lose for free. Are we keeping him for a new manager who will get him to sign a new contract. Bordering on crazy conspiracy theories here I’m aware!

I am buying in to everything you have suggested.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Today's signings do feel like 'club' signings. Bednarek is a long term target of Lange and is a prime 'statto' signing. His numbers look good even if performances don't excite the imagination.

Dendoncker just doesn't strike me as a Gerrard style buy - he's too run of the mill, does a simple, specific job to a certain extent. I would not be surprised if again he's a player the club has identified as meeting a key need.

Which suggests maybe, if this is the case, that the club is acting in the knowledge the manager is done.

Which he basically is. The minute the story became 4 games to save himself he was done.

I agree, both signings are pragmatic and Dendonker certainly isn't a Gerrard type signing. God forbid we might actually play 4231 now.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

That would happen tomorrow seeing that we signed them pretty late in the evening.

Â