Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Gerrard - you need special players to create special things ? Ffs coutinho Watkins ings buendia Bailey cost over £150m.

maybe we need a manager to get special players to perform ?

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Purslow clings onto keeping slippy by appointing a director of football to 'help Steven out'

I shudder at the thought 🥹

• Like 1

The biggest worry for me is that he has always been carried by his coaching staff.  He is not a Coach, nor has he ever been, he is a Manager.

That means even if he knows he needs to fix things, he likely has absolutely no idea how.

That to me is the biggest crime, we didn’t invest that cash in Gerrard, we invested in Beale initially and then Critchley.

We are basically propping up a charlatan with a bloated and ineffectual coaching team and that is why I think Purslow has to carry some of the blame for this fiasco 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

He sounds not only dejected but fully aware of what's heading his way. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to show him the door. Moans about creativity whilst leaving our most creative players on the bench for 60 mins. You just can't make it up. 

I just don't understand the idea that a great player has any particular foundation to be a good manager. 

I mean, Ron Saunders used to bang them in, but in the 3rd division for Portsmouth.  Graham Taylor didn't have a playing career, from what I recall. 

Without being unkind, having the onfield vision to be in place as a defensive midfielder,  to cover an opponent forward from receiving a long pass, is a different skillset a difficult conversation droppping your star striker, or persuading a player with several offers to sign for you.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Someone is going to have to explain to what went through Gerrards mind today looking at Luiz and Kamara in midfield. He's been watching them dominating the midfield all game, probably the first ime we've controlled the midfield in as long as I can remember. 

He's sitting there watching that and then decides that what he really needs to do is to take Luiz off.  What was the issue he was seeing that he believed that was the course of action he needed to take? 

In addition, I'm a simple man. Someone is also going to have to explain to me what Steve Gerrard is thinking when he is watching Watkins and Ings play together that he feels he has to keep picking them together.  Is he seeing great interchange between them?  Is he watching goals flying in that I'm not seeing? Is he seeing defences stretched and failing to cope with our attacking intent?  I just want to know what he's seeing that I can't see. 

Very much agree about Luiz. Playing Watkins and Ings is logical though, they’ve started all our wins since early this year. It’s not like we have better options that haven’t been tested within this system.

Changing the system would be better of course.

13 minutes ago, DeepDish said:

And why are the post match interviewer so nice? Seems like he has way too much respect for SG.

Because the media have a hard on for SG. When he does get the boot, it'll be ' Villa didn't live up to his high expectations/standards'

'Villa too small a club'    Anybody's fault but SG.

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Gerrard - you need special players to create special things ? Ffs coutinho Watkins ings buendia Bailey cost over £150m.

maybe we need a manager to get special players to perform ?

Please tell me he didn’t say this? Potters up at the top of the league with Danny wellbeck starting up top 

Edited by IrishVilla10

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Someone is going to have to explain to what went through Gerrards mind today looking at Luiz and Kamara in midfield. He's been watching them dominating the midfield all game, probably the first time we've controlled the midfield in as long as I can remember. 

He's sitting there watching that and then decides that what he really needs to do is to take Luiz off.  What was the issue he was seeing that he believed that was the course of action he needed to take? 

In addition, I'm a simple man. Someone is also going to have to explain to me what Steve Gerrard is thinking when he is watching Watkins and Ings play together that he feels he has to keep picking them together.  Is he seeing great interchange between them?  Is he watching goals flying in that I'm not seeing? Is he seeing defences stretched and failing to cope with our attacking intent?  I just want to know what he's seeing that I can't see. 

I'll tell you exactly what he was thinking, he was thinking he wanted Ramsey on the pitch, he thought "who can I take off for him", obviously not Kamara, he's my shiny new signing, def can't take off captain fantastic, who's that left? Oh Luiz? Well, he's played pretty well but I guess I have no other option, get him off 

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Someone is going to have to explain to what went through Gerrards mind today looking at Luiz and Kamara in midfield. He's been watching them dominating the midfield all game, probably the first time we've controlled the midfield in as long as I can remember. 

He's sitting there watching that and then decides that what he really needs to do is to take Luiz off.  

That was unbelievably stupid. As was finishing the game with about 5 attackers on the pitch, it’s Sunday league stuff. 

What I watched today was 2 average teams serving up a pretty boring game that was ultimately decided by the fact that one team has an experienced PL manager, and the other didn’t. 

All on Gerrard today, again. 

The moment Emi Martinez said he was shocked by how little Gerrard spoke during actual training sessions was when I knew this clown of a manager wouldn't last. It's farcical that we binned Dean Smith for him.

Edited by AV82
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Â