Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

When stats are getting to Mcleish and Sherwood levels of bad you know it's heading downwards.

Funnily enough I don't remember anyone wanting Mcleish or Sherwood to be given more time. 

They must have been for Mcleish as I think Celtic had a higher wage bill when he won the league.

• Haha 1

I think he is here until after the Man City game anyway. We will then be in the bottom 3 (let be honest cant see us picking up any points in our next 3 games) West Ham to get their season started next Sunday! Then Arsenal and Man City. 

We then have Leicester (A), Southampton(H) Leeds(A) and Forest(A) - 4 fixtures that we should be winning but with Gerrard at the wheel i can see 3 losses and a draw!

59 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Just as a follow up, this was in the replies.

First of all, I don’t know if that is correct. I guess it seems about right.

This would lend credence to the argument his supporters might put forward that Gerrard has had the players performing to roughly what they’re capable of (midtable-ish). 

However, the trajectory we’re on I feel puts us much closer to the bottom half of that table and in a month’s time, I wouldn’t be shocked to see us third from bottom keeping Southampton and Everton company.

Hopefully I’m wrong.

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This would lend credence to the argument his supporters might put forward that Gerrard has had the players performing to roughly what they’re capable of (midtable-ish). 

However, the trajectory we’re on I feel puts us much closer to the bottom half of that table and in a month’s time, I wouldn’t be shocked to see us third from bottom keeping Southampton and Everton company.

Hopefully I’m wrong.

Yep it’s the trajectory that’s the problem.  A third of those points was in his first six games and it’s just gets worse over time.

Gerrard was always a risky appointment, I think we knew that from the beginning.

The lack of any tangible improvement on the pitch, in any area, despite the time and money afforded him thus far, is really poor. His record with us is now very poor, and the recent performances we are seeing on the pitch are just horrid.

He doesn't have any experience of this type of situation in his managerial career, and he's shown nothing to suggest he has any idea how to turn things around. I'm sure the club will give him a few more games, because they've invested so much in him, but I've no doubt he'll be gone soon enough. 

I don't dislike the man, he's always spoken well and I'm sure he genuinely wanted to do great things with us, but he's not addressing our weaknesses or issues, in fact it feels like he's now causing more issues than he is solving.

When he first arrived he immediately saw the problems we had in midfield, the gaps being too big and it being too easy to play through us, he tightened things up and we went on a nice little run getting ourselves out of trouble. We now have exactly the same issue in midfield,  he arrived with what seemed like a pretty clear plan, but that plan has now chopped and changed with no real benefit to anybody. The only player that I think has improved is Cash, that's it.

His job is to get the best out of the players we have and ideally improve them, he simply hasn't done that.

The only real positive I can really take from his time here is that he has improved the quality of the squad, and I'm very excited to see what a genuinely competent manager with a clear idea and system could do with them.

However, I'm afraid we still have a few games of misery heading our way before that becomes a possibility, and that itself depends upon if you trust the club to employ the right manager...

FWIW I don't think Purslow will have any issues binning Gerrard, he's a cut throat business man, and a successful one at that, you don't get in to that position by being overly sentimental. He'll see the warning signs, and he'll know what he has to do.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Hopefully I’m wrong.

The bottom half part is why it’s not as simple as ‘sack him now’. It’s not a complete Mcleish/Sherwood style shambles at all. 

However a lot of those points were from the new manager bounce and pragmatic approach he applied to get points when first took over. Since then we seem to be regressing.  

It’s tough for the club right now.

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

His winning percentage has gone down by 30 points since he was at Rangers. It's less than 40% at the moment.

His win rate at Ramgers wasnt really all that either. I am sure McLeish had a higher win percentage

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Winning percentages, points per game, league table since the start of his reign.

He's shit. End of. His football is shit his selections are shit his tactics are shit his motivating is shit his man management is shit and his soundbites are shit. 

Not sure what you're getting at there, are you suggesting he's not suitable 

• Haha 1

Â