Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, QldVilla said:

Training has never changed over the years becuase your talking about muscle memory and adaptation to training, these only change over time, simple skills quicker than others, complex ones longer.

Do you really think watching a video is going to make you fitter to press high and more often during a game? There’s different components of analysis which have developed over the last 30 years but they just give the coach more ready available information, the hard work is still done on the pitch and you have to know how to understand and deliver the information to the athletes.

No disagreement there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Ok after reading the full context of Gerrard's comments I am less annoyed. He still misspoke but he mentioned before and after Tyrone has an injury which is why he did not play.  My hope is Gerrard will clear the air and express his respect for Tyrone Mings in his pre match presser.

He said he had a fully fit squad before the game on Friday

Just now, Zatman said:

He said he had a fully fit squad before the game on Friday

Thats not what he said in the look me in the eye interview. I imagine he wasnt thinking right after the disastrous game. 

I am going to give him and Tyrone the benefit of the doubt and assume the best from the both. We will find out soon enough what the impact is on the pitch.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Thats not what he said in the look me in the eye interview. I imagine he wasnt thinking right after the disastrous game. 

I am going to give him and Tyrone the benefit of the doubt and assume the best from the both. We will find out soon enough what the impact is on the pitch.

I prefer this attitude then the negative bullshit no doubt some fans will take to Villa park with them to have a go at Gerrard the first chance they get.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

He hasnt earned any benefit of the doubt in my book with his man management so far 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Anyone else hearing these rumours of a Gerrard / Watkins bust-up?

Yep I read it earlier was from football insider so not sure it it's accurate.

If and I say if its true Gerrard should be sacked immediately he's isolating all players now because its his way or the highway, sorry Steve this is out club why don't you do one.

I hated Bruce more than any other villa manager ever but Gerrard has gone to number 1 I cannot support or like him everything he's doing winds me up and the mutiny he's creating is alarming now for me he's lost the dressing room and that = game over 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, villan501 said:

Yep I read it earlier was from football insider so not sure it it's accurate.

If and I say if its true Gerrard should be sacked immediately he's isolating all players now because its his way or the highway, sorry Steve this is out club why don't you do one.

This has been posted and rubbished multiple times in the thread today already.

It seems the media " smell blood " as @Rustibrooks alluded to and can put out anything, knowing that some people who share a certain sentiment will latch onto and run with it.

The lie is always more entertaining than the boring truth.

It's actually quite shit that some fans are almost excited to run with some of these negative stories as well.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This has been posted and rubbished multiple times in the thread today already.

It seems the media " smell blood " as @Rustibrooks alluded to and can put out anything, knowing that some people who share a certain sentiment will latch onto and run with it.

The lie is always more entertaining than the boring truth.

It's actually quite shit that some fans are almost excited to run with some of these negative stories as well.

Thanks Jamaican I hope your right with the constant reports it hard to know what to believe or not. One thing Gerrard needs to sort this mess I'll support aston villa till I die but I'll not support him anymore I'll still be here when he's left ill just accept he's in charge but that's it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

The only scratch for the itch, I suspect, is a win. This whole episode has made me realize that all these micro-analyses of Steven Gerrard are comforting to a point because they give a sense of control and rationality, but then they turn into thin sauce. I wish we could theorise our way out of this mess, but it’s all on Gerrard and the squad’s performance now, and no amount of overthinking it or kvetching  or false positivity will touch the itch. 

It’s been said a million times before, so I hate to repeat the cliché, but … this feels truly like a must-win. 

I could not empathise more with the weariness you describe. 

I don't think it's necessarily a win, I personally would settle for a semblance of a plan that works and shows signs of having learned from the opening day debacle. There's sometimes no legislating for an opposition goalkeeping masterclass (Max O'Leary style) or a bonkers deflection etc that may cost you 3 points. 

I would just like to watch us and think "okay, *this* is clearly what we are trying to be" instead of this convoluted, muddled wingbacks up the pitch and vacating the midfield nonsense that's failed over and over again for the last few months. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

They’re not that bad at all. It’s just an endless echo chamber in this thread. 

Probably because the people who were endlessly shouting down those who pointed out the signs of us being a bit shit have been there for months have gone conspicuously quiet. Hopefully we can improve from here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Probably because the people who were endlessly shouting down those who pointed out the signs of us being a bit shit have been there for months have gone conspicuously quiet. Hopefully we can improve from here.

Well done, you look to have been right after one game.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rossi said:

Just want to put some perspective on this thread, we've played ONE game ! Gerard may not be the Messiah were all looking for, but FFS are things this bad 🤣

I think it's because it was the first game and because it was sooooo bad. We go into a new season with fresh hopes and dreams, believing we can be bigger and better than we were. 

To then be destroyed by a team almost certain to go back down has just deflated everything. Is it an over reaction? Probably, though it does look like a continuation of the poverty of performance from the second half of last season.

Gerrard needs to look like he knows the issues and knows what he's doing rather than repeating the same mistakes week in week out. He needs to get a win against Everton and needs to do it in a way that suggests something to look forward.

• Like 1

Â