Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 hours ago, tinker said:

I don't think being stern gets you anywhere in today's game, unless your the manager of Man city who can destroy footballers careers to prove his point . Klopp has the right balance on the face of it, he is clear and no nonsense approach works with modern footballers.

Digne having jewellery on for the game is a big worry for me, was it stupidity or just a don't care attitude? I think we all sense there could be player unrest with leading members of the squad, Beundia and Ming's must be frustrated with what's going on. They will start to question Gerrard and his ability, if they already haven't. I just hope it doesn't go toxic . 

We span the wheel of fortune with Gerrard and it was a big risk, this was my worry from day one, the risk of the appointment. The odds are now longer for him to succeed than when he started and that's a problem. 

However It's not over yet by a long way and a good performance against Everton will change our outlook UTV

Ps Fingers crossed your are right Tro, you bring great content to Villatalk , thanks .

Digne didn't have jewellery on at least to take him off the pitch. 

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You know what's frustrating?

I don't even think some of our issues are even that difficult to fix.

I think he could help himself massively by dropping Coutinho for one.

He hasn't been performing, and he very much seems like a confidence player, bring him off the bench in a game we are coasting for him to get his swagger back.

Start Chambers or Mings with Carlos, hell, i'd have even taken Kourtney Hause yesterday, he'd have cleared alot of those crosses and high balls into the box.

Move the ball quicker! We have skillful players with some pace, pedestrian paced passing nullifies them.

Sign a strong, solid partner for Kamara ( Or play one of our existing ones beside him - Luiz / Sanson ? ), or he will just become another incredible talent we murder at VP.

As a matter of fact, when I think about it again, I think most of our problems could be solved by simply moving the ball around quicker!

To be fair, I think this is an issue we have had even before SG, slow and predictable, then sometimes from somewhere it's like we wake up, and start passing and moving quickly, and look instantly dangerous, then revert to type, i don't get it.

Ran out of likes but this is what people have complained about so long and nothing has been done

I think he has completely underestimated the step up from Scotland as can get away with lack of pressing in Scotland. This is what gets the best out of Watkins who now has to play a different game and looks poor in that style

• Like 3

We are not going to get anywhere if SG keeps picking his favourite players instead of in form players and players that can do a job for us,Im talking about Buendia and Mings here....and the lack of a good finisher.

48 minutes ago, supermon said:

It's fair to say pre season didn't really inspire anybody. But we did see flashes of good performances usually in the second half when the teams were changed. It's quite to stay positive at this point as there are quite a lot of red flags. 

Let's hope he can turn it around. I really hope he isn't that stubborn to stick with McGinn or at least has the balls to sub him and get Sanson on the pitch.

Fair to say though a lot of us have been looking forward to the footy after the summer break but it's gone very bleak very quickly. 

Let's see what Everton brings, I fear things will get toxic if we lose or even draw.

The issue is All Gerrard took from those games is that we won so continued playing the starters not that the fluidity of our midfield and attacking play massively improved when we replaced McGinn and Ramsey with Luiz and Sanson. And Coutinho with Buendia. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You know what's frustrating?

I don't even think some of our issues are even that difficult to fix.

I think he could help himself massively by dropping Coutinho for one.

He hasn't been performing, and he very much seems like a confidence player, bring him off the bench in a game we are coasting for him to get his swagger back.

Start Chambers or Mings with Carlos, hell, i'd have even taken Kourtney Hause yesterday, he'd have cleared alot of those crosses and high balls into the box.

Move the ball quicker! We have skillful players with some pace, pedestrian paced passing nullifies them.

Sign a strong, solid partner for Kamara ( Or play one of our existing ones beside him - Luiz / Sanson ? ), or he will just become another incredible talent we murder at VP.

As a matter of fact, when I think about it again, I think most of our problems could be solved by simply moving the ball around quicker!

To be fair, I think this is an issue we have had even before SG, slow and predictable, then sometimes from somewhere it's like we wake up, and start passing and moving quickly, and look instantly dangerous, then revert to type, i don't get it.

It's the exact same as we've done for years. We go down. Maybe 2. We make some attacking changes in the final 30 minutes. Absolutely dominate the ball, create a few good chances. And you go maybe this time we will continue playing like that next game. And then next game rolls around and we are back to being turgid lethargic with no creativity. 

6 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

The issue is All Gerrard took from those games is that we won so continued playing the starters not that the fluidity of our midfield and attacking play massively improved when we replaced McGinn and Ramsey with Luiz and Sanson. And Coutinho with Buendia. 

Genuinely frightening that he can't see that.

It’s all so tiresome. I was prepared to give Gerrard the benefit of the doubt, a pre-season with some new players and he’ll get us firing.

But after watching that yesterday, nothing has changed. He’ll be sacked by the World Cup.

13 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It’s all so tiresome. I was prepared to give Gerrard the benefit of the doubt, a pre-season with some new players and he’ll get us firing.

But after watching that yesterday, nothing has changed. He’ll be sacked by the World Cup.

I had hopes, based on the pre-season, but now all we can hope for is that somebody takes action before SG do to much damage to the football club.

36 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Ran out of likes but this is what people have complained about so long and nothing has been done

I think he has completely underestimated the step up from Scotland as can get away with lack of pressing in Scotland. This is what gets the best out of Watkins who now has to play a different game and looks poor in that style

I wouldn't expect him to admit he's gotten it all wrong for the bulk of his time here. We saw last season that he is rigid with selection and tactics. He is stubborn and plays favorites. 

So McMeat-ball wins the day. (But loses matches)

I’m still pissed and I can’t shake the feeling… I’m a 'find the positives in a bad situation' type of person but what were the positives? Ok Kamara showed what he can do and Bailey was the best of the rest in the first half. But what else? If I lost my memory and watched yesterday I would think we still had Bruce running the ship.

Yesterday just felt toxic, with the responsibility falling on the manager. The Mings situation, Sanson (although could’ve handled it a bit better but I can understand his frustration) situation, the talk about showing you want to fight for the shirt but then hands it to players who didn’t really show much in preseason and the supposed snapping at journalist for asking a simple question. It’s reading that we have issues internally that need to be fixed asap if we even want to finish in the top 10.

I know he’s clear of Gerrard, but seeing Conte’s post game interview was telling. He said you can see the progress they’ve made in 7 months and it’s true. I know they have better players but Spurs are showing everyone how they’ve got better from just buying into his philosophy. I still can’t tell you what ours is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I noticed yesterday that every time the camera turned to Gerrard he was sat in his seat. Remember him slumped in his seat last season. Bad optics.

It does seem to be a trend. Win lose or draw, you see the other manager on the touchline, shouting and guiding their players. When the going gets tough, our Stevie has a sulk.

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I noticed yesterday that every time the camera turned to Gerrard he was sat in his seat. Remember him slumped in his seat last season. Bad optics.

Yeah he started that once we started that poor run to end the season. Zero ideas and looks totally out of his depth. 

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It does seem to be a trend. Win lose or draw, you see the other manager on the touchline, shouting and guiding their players. When the going gets tough, our Stevie has a sulk.

Last season he would then throw the players under the bus for his planned new signings. This season he cant use that excuse

• Like 3

I've just never warmed to him and he's a very easy person to dislike frankly. 

Captaincy issue handled poorly

The training ground fines sat uneasy with me

His response of "I'll just get rid of the players who aren't good and buy other ones" rather than admit any fault on his part towards the end of last season

His shithousery in front of Everton fans showed he can be a bad winner as well as a bad loser.

Having it widely reported that your backroom staff are the reason for your success. 

Being pals with Purslow 

• Like 1

Watching Utd losing to Brighton there are so many similarities with the way us and Utd play. From the over reliance on FB's to provide the width and getting exposed at the back stick when defending. Having one player wide in in a forward role but the other side lacking ie, Rashford(Bailey). A disorganised CM area lacking positional awareness and movement. Little creativity and zero threat up front. Most importantly, too slow at moving the ball. So similar to us. 

Â