Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Do you think the same system would work if only he swallowed his pride and started Chrisene, Hause, Chambers, Iroegbunam, Sanson and Bailey? Because those are the options, more or less. Those players are mostly inexperienced and/or rusty, which could make adapting to a complicated system rather demanding.

Not at all. The system has been found out. It’s more of a response to ‘weeding average players out’. Sanson could have at least been given a go in my opinion. I don’t think he’s necessarily the answer, but on numerous occasions that midfield has been tried and been poor under Smith and Gerrard ( albeit in slightly different systems).

We need some width back in the side. It was noticeable how wide Leeds made the pitch which we struggled with. Yesterday that change needed to be made and he got completely the wrong subs that actually lost us the game. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Do you think the same system would work if only he swallowed his pride and started Chrisene, Hause, Chambers, Iroegbunam, Sanson and Bailey? Because those are the options, more or less. Those players are mostly inexperienced and/or rusty, which could make adapting to a complicated system rather demanding.

Or more simply he could try a different system more suited to the resources at his disposal.

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I argued a long time about realistic expectations, i think that's going to become an issue yet again. 

Purslow told fans about "consistent improvement".

He's at fault for raising expectations. 

He justified the silliness we saw under Smith where people kicked off every time we didn't win a game. 

Quite funny it's now the players that aren't good enough of course...

• Like 2

Gerrard HAS underperformed with these players in recent weeks. He will get the summer transfer window I think regardless. But he knows its not good enough. I hope Watford was a big enough lesson for him to change the way we play. I sure hope so because Newcastle should have been enough of a warning.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Purslow told fans about "consistent improvement".

He's at fault for raising expectations. 

He justified the silliness we saw under Smith where people kicked off every time we didn't win a game. 

Quite funny it's now the players that aren't good enough of course...

Guess Purslow would argue that 10th would be consistent improvement. It's still more than possible if we get our head together quickly. He could also say we never expected likes of Traore and Bailey to play about five games between them this season so decent chunk of creativity to take out of the team for large spells.

I think a big issue is we've gone from one of the best man managers in English football to someone with seemingly no man management ability. Players talk about him in the same way that pundits and the like do - not like they actually interact with him much. 

I can't remember the game but there were a few times players revealed that the half time team talk from Smith was behind turning a poor performance and loss into a good win. 

Since the turn of the year, I don't feel like we will turn things around or have a different approach, mentality or level of focus from one half to another. If the game isn't going our way in the 10th minute it's unlikely it will be going our way in the 80th unless the performance of the other team changes. 

• Like 1

I'm really not convinced by him and what he's doing. The only thing I've liked about him so far was keeping Neil cutler on as keeper coach. 

I really hope he proves me and others wrong and leaves me with egg on my face because currently it's a painful watch tuning in every game. 

Don't feel like it's mentioned when referring to Gerrard but we really should have beat Man Utd in the cup. Such a wasted opportunity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Gerrard HAS underperformed with these players in recent weeks. He will get the summer transfer window I think regardless. But he knows its not good enough. I hope Watford was a big enough lesson for him to change the way we play. I sure hope so because Newcastle should have been enough of a warning.

That is of course if Villa stay up and that’s no where near a given yet.

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Does anyone think that some of the dressing room don’t respect Gerrard? Everyone seems so unhappy and that bounce and joy the team used to have only last season seems to have gone. 

Watkins was in a sulk before Gerrard got here.

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

There's a gap now between 9th and 8th. I think 9th and 10th are still achievable if we turn things around quickly. We just need a bit of luck

More than luck, but I agree that it's still achievable.

Be nice for Gerrard if fans start buying this total shit. It will lead to disaster though. Hundreds of millions spent and probable relegation.

"Basic style"...why? 55 points thanks.

Gerrard is forcing us into a formation/system that will see us dominate and beat no one in this league. That's basic

That Owen clip gathering traction is hilarious. It's fiction.

He's impressed every time he speaks, and fallen short every time bar the first four games here.

I want this to work, but I'll be hoping he leaves if we see no improvement before the end of the season.

Hope Beale or someone in his team can convince him to change formation or we're in a relegation battle. He brought an analyst down with him didn't he? What's he doing with his week? It is not hard to see why we are so vulnerable. This does not work. It will not work. Unless we're sat in our own box defending.

Far less blame with the players than the management at the moment.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

I think alot of this is due to the leeds collapse - its similar to the wolves one. If there was another 10 minutes of that game we would have lost.

Think the biggest issue yet again is have a mentality problem at the club. Too nice and not aggressive enough.

8 hours ago, messi11 said:

Gerrard out if we dont win in the next few games

That won't happen, the only way Gerrard leaves before next season is if we go down.

He just needs to swallow his pride and become a bit more flexible so that he can get the best out of the players at his disposal

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Spurs sacked Sherwood after five months, in came Pochettino and it went pretty good. Hughes got sacked after little over a year at Man City, Mancini took over and won the league. Lampard also got little time, was followed by Tuchel and so on. It’s not always good to wait.

Sherwood was interim. Hughes took city to champions league but they wanted to kick on, Lampard was given a year and a half. 

Gerrard has been here 3 months and took over a team that had the most defeats in 2021. 

Â