Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, Keyblade said:

I'm willing to give him time, at least a preseason and summer window, but it makes me wonder why we signed another manager who has to learn and adapt on the job. I'm not one to believe the Purslow conspiracy theories, but it's such an odd appointment.

I wouldn't give him another penny to spend.

Bloke is a fraud, Sherwood without the gillet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

When Smith first arrived we started brightly and then fell away dramatically - 3 wins in 16 games, including drawing 5-5 with Forest and 3-3 with Sheff Utd, AND losing 0-3 against Wigan.

I'd have sacked Smith right before we went on to win 10 games in a row.

Let's not pretend it was a bed of roses until this season under Deano, and let's not also expect miracles of Gerrard.  Things take time, as frustrating as that may be in the modern world.

Good post. 

Same with Brian Little as well - we just survived that season. 

People have no patience now, and I get it, we live in more demanding times, but a new manager needs more than 13 games to change things around. That being said, i am bitterly disappointed tonight. 

The majority of this team got Smith the sack and now they're shit under Gerrard. The players (or some of them) are the common denominator here. Need to weed them out and get rid asap. 

• Like 2

He’s got the summer and first half of next season for me. It’s only fair. Things didn’t happen for them overnight at Rangers. I am seriously worried about the subs however. Smiths use of subs or lack of were shocking for so long but that could be put down to lack of options. This squad should be doing a lot better 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Reivax_Villa said:

He is going to end up doing a summer clear out which I don’t think is necessary..

Some of these players haven't delivered under two managers this season. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm willing to give him time, at least a preseason and summer window,

Even if we keep playing like this? I would be seriously considering if we want to entrust any extra time or money to him unless things seriously improve over the final games. He's got 14 games to prove he deserved the job, in my book. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

When Smith first arrived we started brightly and then fell away dramatically - 3 wins in 16 games, including drawing 5-5 with Forest and 3-3 with Sheff Utd, AND losing 0-3 against Wigan.

I'd have sacked Smith right before we went on to win 10 games in a row.

Let's not pretend it was a bed of roses until this season under Deano, and let's not also expect miracles of Gerrard.  Things take time, as frustrating as that may be in the modern world.

Yep we looked awful for a while after a fairly bright start from Smith, playing very similar football to what we're playing now. Admittedly it mostly coincided with Grealish being injured but even then we still had one of the best squads in the division, so I don't think people should count out Gerrard yet.

Definitely worrying signs at the moment though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm willing to give him time, at least a preseason and summer window, but it makes me wonder why we signed another manager who has to learn and adapt on the job. I'm not one to believe the Purslow conspiracy theories, but it's such an odd appointment.

I genuinely think Purslow recruited him as he thought he had something special. Whether that's true...at the moment at least it's not looking like it is.

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Some of these players haven't delivered under two managers this season. 

True but then I've said previously, people gloss over the injuries we had at the beginning. 

We sold Jack and replaced him with Bailey, Buendia and Ings. 

They got to spend 36 minutes on the pitch together before we removed the manager. Purslow had no interest in seeing what our summer plan could look like when he thought Gerrard was available. 

• Like 3

Just now, Davkaus said:

Even if we keep playing like this? I would be seriously considering if we want to entrust any extra time or money to him unless things seriously improve over the final games. He's got 14 games to prove he deserved the job, in my book. 

Yeah it's only fair. Unless we go on a horrendous run to end the season, he needs time to put his stamp on the team. Otherwise what was the point in spending all that money in compensation and wages to get him?

Â