Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

When Smith first arrived we started brightly and then fell away dramatically - 3 wins in 16 games, including drawing 5-5 with Forest and 3-3 with Sheff Utd, AND losing 0-3 against Wigan.

I'd have sacked Smith right before we went on to win 10 games in a row.

Let's not pretend it was a bed of roses until this season under Deano, and let's not also expect miracles of Gerrard.  Things take time, as frustrating as that may be in the modern world.

• Like 3

The commentators on DAZN around the 50th minute:

’Roy’s got a game plan.  He will sit and soak up the pressure, frustrate Villa, and the last 10 minutes when Villa get more and more desperate he will suddenly up the tempo and try to snatch one on the counter.’

’He will have watched the Newcastle game, and will know exactly how to play this game’

Gerrard is naive at best.

Taking off cash to replace with Young was predictable suicide.  And He played right into Roy’s game plan.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We played much better than Newcastle game and conceded a goal on the counter. These things always seem to happen when you're on a bad run. We've got a chance to get some momentum with Brighton Southampton and then Leeds. Two of those are teams we need to beat to get ahead of in the League. 

We just need a bit of luck. There's still plenty of time to finish the season strong. The Leeds game seems to have rattled the players. 

We had one shot on target , Watford had the best 4 chances - a watford who hadn’t won in 12 games - today was totally unacceptable and gerrard should take a huge amount of blame for sticking with most of those players 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

He's definitely a born winner mate Iv'e no doubt, as for half the players, alot were losers from the start. They should be embarrassed.

How many PL's has he won?
Could see on the field today that Tom Cleverly, was a born winner

Edited by messi11

3 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

It’s a transitional phase , he’s trying to change our style of play which I can see glimpse of.

Same as Arteta , they were even in the relegation    zone when he tried to play the procession style from the old school counter attack. He was given time and are flying now. 

Gerrard need a season at least 

Change our style to what? I'm just seeing another manager that cannot adapt. 

I actually preferred Smiths system with natural width and space for our attackers. Gerrards system stifles us. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

We had one shot on target , Watford had the best 4 chances - a watford who hadn’t won in 12 games - today was totally unacceptable and gerrard should take a huge amount of blame for sticking with most of those players 

And setting up in a system that creates an invitation to counter in acres of space

27 minutes ago, hippo said:

For a born winner he sure loses a lot of games.

And made a hell of a lot of crucial mistakes as a player.

I'm not hating on him, but I don't think his mentality is as perfect as it's made out to be.

12 minutes ago, Rodders said:

he's a chancer in the mould of stuart pearce, roy keane, sherwood etc, someone who thinks talking about pashun directly and saying forceful words about changes and a response in press conferences is enough. That kind of shit that appeals to the lowest denominator of moron. We need someone with intelligence in the job. Get him gone. 

It's the old, "we need a name". In all honesty I don't think the players respect him enough or believe in his methods.

He's out of his depth. His 'system' worked with rangers because it's scotland. Any system works when you are rangers/celtic, because you are playing against non-league quality every week.

The myth that he will drill a winning mentality into us and be ruthless is absolute bs also. 

Purslow's mate

I'm willing to give him time, at least a preseason and summer window, but it makes me wonder why we signed another manager who has to learn and adapt on the job. I'm not one to believe the Purslow conspiracy theories, but it's such an odd appointment.

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

He deserves a full summer of signings and practicing his system before the discussions of firing him legitimately begin. Assuming we stay waffling around mid table though. 

No. He doesn't! If he can't get par from this lot, given that no one plays this style other than him, letting him shape a squad for this setup

Â