Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

25 minutes ago, Jbvilla909 said:

That's why I was surprised he went with the same starting eleven. 

Needed fresh legs imo, although I don't think that was the only reason.

Be interesting to see who he drops for the Watford game...

Exactly the point.

we have more of a squad now than we have had.  Use the damn players.  The ones that played just a few days ago weren’t exactly brilliant.

I can’t understand why he wouldn’t rotate players like Ings and Sanson into the team.  Worse still when the players he does pick are stinking the place out, why wait until 70

minutes to make some damn changes?

I like the guy, and I think he’s carried himself superbly since he’s been here.  He’s going to get time, and so he should.  But I want to see him a lot more proactive, and be more tactically astute than just have one way of playing and nothing else in reserve.

Lets  be frank, was tactically schooled by Howe yesterday, who’s a pretty young manager himself.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thug said:

Exactly the point.

we have more of a squad now than we have had.  Use the damn players.  The ones that played just a few days ago weren’t exactly brilliant.

I can’t understand why he wouldn’t rotate players like Ings and Sanson into the team.  Worse still when the players he does pick are stinking the place out, why wait until 70

minutes to make some damn changes?

I like the guy, and I think he’s carried himself superbly since he’s been here.  He’s going to get time, and so he should.  But I want to see him a lot more proactive, and be more tactically astute than just have one way of playing and nothing else in reserve.

Lets  be frank, was tactically schooled by Howe yesterday, who’s a pretty young manager himself.

Yeah it was obvious to all, he even said the running stats were through the roof on Wednesday, which made it even more confusing why no changes were made and like you said, why wait until 70 mins to make subs? 

Needs a plan b, even with the players we have we could of set up differently yesterday but, it's done now. Hoping to see an improvement on Saturday against a team who he sit and defend for 90 mins 

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's not very great right now, but I'll reserve judgement on his tenure until he's had a preseason and a summer window of more of his signings under his belt.

Its actually kind of funny how his tenure so far is mirroring Smith's start to our season. Consistently good early performances even if the results weren't matching (Chelsea x2 for Smith, City/Liverpool for Gerrard), great performances against United, scrappy wins against Everton, then performances start becoming inexplicably flat. Feels like something deeper is wrong with this squad, and I hope Gerrard gets time to get to the root of it, just like I wanted Smith to have the same.

Perhaps it's merely that the players react positively to the change at first, but the effect wears off rapidly once the reality kicks in. Gerrard is probably way more demanding than Smith was, so the fallout will likely come a lot sooner.

28 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I’ve got faith in him and his team. The good is still far outweighing the bad for me. We will see big changes this summer, I think we are going to see a fair few departures.

He doesn't really have an option does he ?

Big gamble for me - obviously always looking to improve the squad. I don't believe this is a bad squad of players  (as the number of suitors for our outs will show) - Getting better players in won't be in easy or cheap. If it fails we won't be in a good place at all.

I don't like or rate Stevie G - but the consequences of him failing go deeper than just bringing a fresh head coach in.

38 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I’ve got faith in him and his team. The good is still far outweighing the bad for me. We will see big changes this summer, I think we are going to see a fair few departures.

What's the good you're seeing? I hope to see it soon.

Makes no sense letting him buy players if we're going to have to sack him in the next 18 months.

Apart from Digne, Coutinho and Chambers (whose only playing because of Konsa suspension) it's still the same team put in these type of performances that got Dean Smith sacked. We won't see properly see Gerrard's type of football until next season when he has had the summer window and a full pre-season to get more of his players in. Until then we will be putting in our fair share of these poor performances for the rest of the season.

11 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Ok Hippo, you state in a roundabout way how you don’t like or rate Steven Gerrard on an almost daily basis. Who would you have brought into the club?

Not easy. Because managers have a short life cycle these days - so most managers even the top ones has a failure or two on there CV.   So anyone I propose would be pretty easy to shoot down.

Im just staggered that no only have we brought in a very inexperienced coach - we are now on the cusp of trusting him with a total rebuild. I thought the whole idea was to build on what went before. He is getting a tune out of such few seasoned pros - that a cause for concern for me. 

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The last couple months?

Weren't we something like 7th in the form table up to a couple games ago?

After a run which included the top 4?

1 win in 7…doesn’t matter where we were before that, since then we’ve won 1 in 7

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

And the turning on the manager begins…

We all know this isn't the managers problem. The problems are the same because the problem is specific players. Namely McGinn, Luiz, Watkins, Mings etc...

IIRC it took him a while to get up to speed at Rangers too. Obviously it's a different situation but he does need time to have a meaningful impact on the players.

I don't know if he'll be the one or not - only time will tell - but I do think the concerns that a lot of people had before his appointment (the lack of experience and ensuing learning curve required) are rearing their ugly heads. You could also look at Arteta at Arsenal, though, and the turn around he's had since he's been given the time to get it right. They had a really shaky start to the season but are looking a lot better now. 

My mate, who supports Arsenal, pointed out that these results happen to pretty much every team apart from Citeh and Liverpool, and I think he's probably right. It's going to happen and it's important not to overreact when it does IMO.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Or 1 defeat in 4. You can bend the stats to suit your argument. We look a mid table side and have not been consistent enough yet to show otherwise.

Its 3 defeats in 6 which is bad considering the opposition.

Chelsea seems to be playing poor vs everybody else and win comfortably after going ahead

Brentford have been in rotten form and are the only win ib about 10 for them

United similar to Chelsea but we made a spirited comeback

Everton we won but struggled to cobtrol the game vs a poor team 

Leeds another team not in great form yet we conceded 3 at home to

Newcastle in the bottom 3 most of the season and we made them look good

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We all know this isn't the managers problem. The problems are the same because the problem is specific players. Namely McGinn, Luiz, Watkins, Mings etc...

Yep - they all look destined to depart for league one or championship clubs ! 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Yep - they all look destined to depart for league one or championship clubs ! 

They can join teams who are lower mid table or join teams who think they are better than they are. I don't care where they go

I really hope the manager rings the changes come the Weekend. If there was one thing that irritated me sometimes about Deano it was his persistence in always playing certain individuals regardless of form.

Any successful manager has to have that ruthless streak .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Im just staggered that no only have we brought in a very inexperienced coach - we are now on the cusp of trusting him with a total rebuild.

When Dean Smith came in, the grand total of his experience was managing Walsall, and Brentford midtable in the Championship, but he got this trust, and did quite well. So 🤷🏾‍♂️

If we are being technical, Leagues aside, Gerrard actually has more experience as a " winning " footballer , both as a Manager and player.

After summer events, many of us accepted that it would probably be a season of transition. Which will bring major ups and downs.

Gerrard deserves at least this season and first half of next to have the chance to successfully " transition " us from lower mid table to upper mid table/European contenders.

This obviously also depends on how the rest of the season goes.

Don't get me wrong though, as much as I want Gerrard to succeed and like him as a bloke and player, I don't have the same emotional connection with him as I did to Dean Smith. So if he wasn't doing it, and the board moved him on, so be it.

But I think unfortunately for you and a couple others, unless something drastically changes, he's here for the " long " ish haul

Same rules which go for managers go for some of our players, some simply won't get us any further.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

I never really wanted Gerrard to begin with, but the criticism is way over the top, the problems we currently have are not new problems and cannot be expected to be resolved in one january transfer window. Every manager deserves time, to at least implement their ideas.

I do though, have some concerns, with one being the same as I have had with every Villa manager since I started following football, they all seem reluctant to even attempt to play passing football, we have this weird habit of when in possession, the midfielders go storming forward and do not offer any support whatsoever. We have always been very direct (except for maybe under Houllier), since I remember, and I just don't understand why. Surely now we have some players that would fit a more possession based style in Coutinho, Luiz, Ramsey, Buendia etc. 

I get so frustrated when our defenders are in possession and our midfielders just go storming of, or just stand behind the opposition watching, it happens all the time. Also the midfielders themselves seem to be a million miles from each other at all times, the amount of times one is in possession and then just aimlessly hoofs it the opposite side of the pitch, as there are no other options, is staggering. 

• Like 2

First of all, I want to put on record I am not even thinking about Gerrard being sacked or anything like it, it hadn’t even crossed my mind.  So I don’t want anybody to put me in that bucket, I’m behind Gerrard totally.

So that aside, what we are seeing on the pitch needs to get better and fast.  The performances and results are poor over the last couple of months.

• Like 4

Â