Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

23 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Gerrard did not look happy.

Interviewer - "what will you look to do, to improve the situation after this performance?"

Gerrard - "i will make changes, i need to impose myself on the team, we will push them even harder"

let's hope he does, if Watkins & McGinn start the next game, i will wonder what is going on behind the scenes tbh.

Good interview.

The man's hair is a medical miracle.

17 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

The change was needed.

Whether an inexperienced manager being paid like a seasoned champions league manager was the right move remains to be seen.

I'm not sure if I wrote it at the time, but one thing that concerned me was going from a buddy, man's man manager to someone as ruthless as SG

4 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

If they’re saleable assets do we not need to ask why they’re not good enough for us? If McGinn goes to United, Cash to Atletico, Watkins to Arsenal etc. I think it’s fair to say they were good enough for us.

Thank you!  In the Watkins thread Arsenal keeps popping up as a club willing to buy Watkins. If Ollie can't it at a mid-table PL club why in the world would Top 4 challenging Arsenal want him. Same for McGinn, Cash, or Douglas. If these superior clubs can see the promise in our players then why can't our highly paid managerial staff find that same promise. 

3 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

This is why I really like Gerrard. He handles himself so well in interviews and you really feel he knows what to do. Obviously its about results and the results have been patchy but they were always going to be this season. I expected nothing more than a mid table finish when he was appointed and I think thats where we'll comfortably finish.

I'm genuinely dumbfounded by the negativity in here and it reeks of entitlement and short memories. We have been an absolute joke for most of the the last decade, just because we have money, doesnt mean its an easy turnaround. We should have got relegated in our first season back and we're heading for it again when Smith was sacked. I think next season we'll be a force.

The negativity is not to do with Gerrard. It's to do with the same players who let us down constantly. The core of this team are inconsistent, complacent average footballers. Mentally weak and they're like a cancer. We need to cut them out and fix the mentality and sign players who have that desire week in week out and are not soft. 

McGinn, Luiz, Mings, Watkins etc.. those are the players who are the cancer.

Looking at the results, I dont know what people are moaning about. We've lost to Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea, all games we would expect to lose. We came back really well against Man United and would have beaten Leeds if it wasnt for some shambolic defending. Everton away was a good result considering Ferguson's potential rallying cry. We've had two bad results, today, and Brentford. We have three very nice games in a row and things will likely look a lot better in a few weeks.

Edited by R.Bear
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

Looking at the results, I dont know what people are moaning about. We've lost to Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea, all games we would expect to lose. We came back really well against Man United and would have beaten Leeds if it wasnt for some shambolic defending. Everton away was a good result considering Ferguson's potential rallying cry. We've had two bad results, today, and Brentford. We have three very nice games in a row and thinks will likely look a lot better in a few weeks.

Yes 1-0 which could have been 1-1 but for a very tight VAR decision is not a disaster

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Looking at the results, I dont know what people are moaning about. We've lost to Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea, all games we would expect to lose. We came back really well against Man United and would have beaten Leeds if it wasnt for some shambolic defending. Everton away was a good result considering Ferguson's potential rallying cry. We've had two bad results, today, and Brentford. We have three very nice games in a row and thinks will likely look a lot better in a few weeks.

Just quoting this for the LOLz when this shit form continues. You really are trying to polish a turd at the moment.

If you don't know what people are moaning about you haven't watched our last few games. 

• Like 3

I don't blame Gerrard for his body language at the end of the game, he looked like he couldn't believe how poor we were, the performance from our players was diabolically poor and it was the simple things they were messing up every single time, simple passes and balls that you'd expect lower league players to be able to play quite comfortably never mind Premier League players. One of the most irrationally bad performances I think I've ever seen, irrational because I think some our passing was that bad that it almost defies explanation as to why it was as bad as it was, I'm sure Gerrard has got things wrong today, but can't really blame him for how sloppy we were and how poor our distribution was...

Not sure if posted but just seen this...

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

We have won 1 game in 7. That was against a managerless Everton who played 1990s long balls to try get back into the game the entire 2nd half. We lose games so easily, Brentford has 2 shots and won. We capitulated to Leeds. We then dished out today which was as bad as anything we've ever dished up. 

No manager can fix this with these players. The core of the team is rancid, cancerous. It needs to be replaced or we're going to be the same team, same preformances no matter who is our manager.

• Like 1

Just now, MCU said:

Judging from his post match comments I expect to see Watkins and McGinn to be dropped next game. Possibly even Douglas.

We only have 4 fit CMs. So only 1 of McGinn / Luiz can be dropped.

It has to be McGinn though. He's been a complete disgrace for many games now. Luiz is playing out of position at least, so he can be cut a bit of slack

Gerrard has got a bigger job this summer than I first thought. Poor today, and perhaps opened his eyes a little. 

Could be an exciting transfer window ahead. 

Just now, Xela said:

Gerrard has got a bigger job this summer than I first thought. Poor today, and perhaps opened his eyes a little. 

Sure will be.  There will many enquiries \ bids for our sub standard players.   - Be interesting to see who the upgrades are

2 hours ago, R.Bear said:

5 points from 4 games is shit form?

I watched us against Man United and Leeds and played some beautiful stuff. We were also defensively very solid against Everton is shutting out the game.

But then im not an whiny entitled brat like lots of other Villa fans.

LoL. OK mate. 1 win in 7 and you are calling people whiney entitled brats for not being happy with that. Deary me. 

Let me.help you with this....

1 win in 7 is shit form. That win being against Everton who were in free fall at the time....

Losing to an appalling Newcastle team whilst not being able to keep hold of the ball is shit form

Conceeding three goal to relegation battling Leeds who then get spanked by Everton is shit form

Playing like our players have never met each other is shit form

Now to help you out even more, I am not saying Gerrard should go. I am saying he needs to fix this. 

You are obviously very sure that he will fix this, what do you base this on and how do you believe he will fix it?

Here is your opportunity to take us whiney entitled brats to school. Let's hear your superior thoughts.

(edit - stupid autocorrect)

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Gerrard really needs to show he's capable first. The way we're performing with the players we've got, is frankly embarrassing. 

• Like 1

Â