Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, Mantis said:

He was playing some of his best football so far here under Gerrard and it hasn't "derailed" us but if the system Gerrard wants to implement relies on us having a good tackler to sit in front of the back 4 then it makes sense that we've lost some of our defensive solidity since the one player we have in the squad who can do that well has been injured. It's why getting a good DM in is crucial this month.

Let me assure in football management Stevie G will have much bigger problems than an injured Marvelous Nkamba .

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

One more thing on Gerrard criticism on top of the above post, Konza gets a smack in the face that brings him down in their box, not even checked by VAR, if that up the other end it gets given by every ref and every VAR operator in the game today. The blood pouring out of his nose might have given a clue that there was contact, but it's old trafford. We should have had a penalty.

100% , we were going to get f all out of var the ref at OT ,it just don’t happen 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Let me assure in football management Stevie G will have much bigger problems than an injured Marvelous Nkamba .

The way we play under Gerrard relies on athletic attacking full backs and a dedicated dm, nakamba is our only dm and we're seeing his absence clear as day.

Nakamba was outstanding under Gerrard up until his injury.

Either way we are actively trying to solve these issues in the transfer market and let's see where we are at the end of the season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

Boo ! - I thought it was a Farley's !

Can't believe he's rolled over on that VAR - there might be another on Saturday - he should be telling the whole world we have been cheated out of the FA cup. Puts it in the officials mind for Saturday. (What would Klopp/tuchell be saying)

He looks to have aged in the few weeks he's been here already.

The whole world saw it, they don’t need telling. It would be highlighted as sour grapes and wouldn’t change anything. The officials won’t improve their incompetence or their bias, subconscious or otherwise. He can only work on the team and improve what he sees.

I know you hate him but he’s not aged enough yet to retire yet. 

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The whole world saw it, they don’t need telling. It would be highlighted as sour grapes and wouldn’t change anything. The officials won’t improve their incompetence or their bias, subconscious or otherwise. He can only work on the team and improve what he sees.

I know you hate him but he’s not aged enough yet to retire yet. 

I think he's shit.

I hate Tuchel and Klopp but would be delighted if they managed us.

13 minutes ago, Mantis said:

...if the system Gerrard wants to implement relies on us having a good tackler to sit in front of the back 4...

This isn't a knock on Nakamba who was in good form, but the system Gerrard plays doesn't rely on us having a good tackler to sit in front of the back four. The system has three players that sit in front of the back four when we're out of possession, a whole line of them, and then when we're in possession, that line needs to be good enough to get on the front foot and support our number tens and the fullbacks - we don't play with a destroyer. A player who has fantastic defensive qualities and can also do the other things our line of three need to do would be a useful acquisition, but it's not a case of "a six and two eights" we play with three who need to be able to be both.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m pro-Gerrard and I like what I’m seeing, but we just aren’t scoring goals despite playing pretty well. Watkins wastes every attack and can’t hit a barn door, and we just can’t seem to get Ings into games at all. I’m hoping Coutinho resolves everything but it’d a bit ask…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

This isn't a knock on Nakamba who was in good form, but the system Gerrard plays doesn't rely on us having a good tackler to sit in front of the back four. The system has three players that sit in front of the back four when we're out of possession, a whole line of them, and then when we're in possession, that line needs to be good enough to get on the front foot and support our number tens and the fullbacks - we don't play with a destroyer. A player who has fantastic defensive qualities and can also do the other things our line of three need to do would be a useful acquisition, but it's not a case of "a six and two eights" we play with three who need to be able to be both.

It’s essentially what Liverpool play. Three very attacking narrow forwards with little defensive duties and the width coming from the fullbacks. The three midfielders have to do the hard yards in the background.

Today it was often Ramsey in the middle. McGinn and Luiz push out to help defend the flanks because the forwards are not required to track back. All three have to win the ball and transition to attack, it’s not the case of having a dedicated defensive midfielder in front of the defenders. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’m pro-Gerrard and I like what I’m seeing, but we just aren’t scoring goals despite playing pretty well. Watkins wastes every attack and can’t hit a barn door, and we just can’t seem to get Ings into games at all. I’m hoping Coutinho resolves everything but it’d a bit ask…

Our goals with team play in games has been more. Watkins vs Norwich and Ings vs Brentford. Rest are from individual goals or set pieces 

Edited by Zatman

The amount of responsibility this system puts on the fullbacks is insane. Without them covering endline to endline we have zero width. You can see why we recalled KKH and in plans to make Digne one of our highest earners.  

• Like 1

I like what i see. My only gripes are the subs from the last two games, and playing ings and watkins together. 

Absolute zero chemistry from them. Watkins espically is so frustrating at times. He will get the ball in a dangerious position instead of running at the defenders he runs back deep asay from goal. Homestly he is going backwards this year.

We looked a lot better with ings up top with himself

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

This might be right in theory and is certainly the case for Liverpool but it’s striking that our form has dropped off since nakamba got injured and we were much more solid with him in the team playing closer to a pure 6. I’d also note that we played much better in the second half yesterday with luiz staying deep/being more disciplined possession wise.

not to say that the 3 8s system isn’t what gerrard wants to play ideally but tbh I’m not sure McGinn/Ramsey are disciplined enough defensively for it to be the best system for us

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I like what i see. My only gripes are the subs from the last two games, and playing ings and watkins together. 

Absolute zero chemistry from them. Watkins espically is so frustrating at times. He will get the ball in a dangerious position instead of running at the defenders he runs back deep asay from goal. Homestly he is going backwards this year.

We looked a lot better with ings up top with himself

agreed on the subs...2 games now he's got it badly wrong. the worst part about last night's is that we knew that el ghazi sub was wrong. something tells me however that gerrard will learn from his mistakes quicker than smith and we wont see AEG thrown on as an impact sub anytime soon IMO.

but i actually thought ings and watkins did well last night. bear in mind that ings got the ball over the keeper and watkins was there to follow it in, even though it was offside it was an example of them being there together in the opposition box. both at different times found themselves at the back post, 1 to score and another had a golden chance. i still have faith that the chemistry will come in time.

He must be a bit frustrated, the overall ability of the squad to play the way he wants is not quite there and last night wasn't the first time we've seen us incapable of the speed of passing he wants without giving it away often quite dangerously. Coutinho and fingers crossed Digne will lift us quite significantly and I am confident we will see a marked difference in quality, enough to turn these amibtious performances into dominant performances.

Â