Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

16 hours ago, R.Bear said:

Remember the "give Smith more time" brigade? They seem to have disappeared 🤣

Gerrard has won every game except narrow losses to two of the best sides in the world. He literally could not have done a better job so far.

Superb appointment and perfectly timed.

Don't think there was many saying he should stay after five losses. We were in a tailspin of worrying proportions.

Finding a definite step up was the problem.

Gerrard and his team have clearly been that. Outstanding appointment.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Don't think there was many saying he should stay after five losses. We were in a tailspin of worrying proportions.

Yep.

5 defeats in a row to 4 wins out of 6 is an incredible turnaround, and far above what you'd expect from a regular new manager bounce, especially when the defeats were against City and Liverpool.

• Like 2

I do think he got away with an error last night and that was dropping Watkins into the Young role. Thankfully we won but I don't think he will try it again as it gave Norwich some more of the ball 

Funnily enough moving Ings might have been better tactically 

53 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

No issue questioning Gerrards experience but surely it has to be balanced and you cant totally dismiss his playing career like it never happened or just trot out the SPL is a pub league as Rangers are a massive club with a pressure & expectation to win every week

Yeah but some players have great playing careers and don't make good managers. So having a good playing career doesn't make it a given that he'll be a good manager. So it's difficult to be 100% all in convinced by it. And it's also fair to say that Rangers are a massive club in a league dominated by Rangers themselves and Celtic, so it's also difficult to be 100% convinced by his success there either. I don't follow Scottish football myself, so it has little bearing on my thinking, and that's probably the same for a lot of people. It's not a mad thought that people might have needed to be convinced, or needed a bit of time to see what Gerrard was bringing to the table. I feel no shame at all about being a bit uncertain about the appointment—really I was kind of nervous/excited/intrigued tbh, and in fairness the more positive parts of that mix of feelings was because of his stature and from comments about his good job at Rangers.

I'm loving it now though.

59 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Yep.

5 defeats in a row to 4 wins out of 6 is an incredible turnaround, and far above what you'd expect from a regular new manager bounce, especially when the defeats were against City and Liverpool.

The away games are the big ones for me. We'd have crumbled against the likes of Palace away in the past and let teams around our level play us off the park, yet under SG we looked strong and well 'in the game' all game.

Don't fall for a manager who will leave for Liverpool in 2 years

FFS! 

Edited by pas5898
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, pas5898 said:

FFS! 

Who cares what the future may hold. Right now he's with us and doing a cracking job.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

FFS! 

Purslow said that the Villa job is one of the most sought after jobs in Europe. I tend to agree with him. 

If Gerrard were to leave down the line we would have plenty of suitors. 

4 hours ago, GazRFC said:

Thought as much mate, looking good for a top half finish at the very least at the moment. A lot of our fans had a bit of a grudge on him leaving but we’ve actually benefitted massively with Gio Bronckhorst and his team. In the 10 games before his departure we had conceded the first goal in 7 out of 10 games whereas in Gios first 6 games we’ve won 5 and drawn 1and that was away to Lyon in a game we were leading 1-0 until late on. 5 league wins in a row including away wins at hearts, Livingston and hibs. Notoriously hard places for us in the past. It’s looking good for both sides!

I’ve got a good mate up here who’s a Rangers fan. He loved Gerrard but equally he was telling me Sunday evening how happy he is with Bronkhurst, for much the same reasons that you are. 

Individuals move on but ultimately it’s the team that counts. Sounds like you’re as happy how things have so far turned out as we are. Long may that continue. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

FFS! 

Yep 😂

But if that happens he would have to have smashed it with us, so 🙏🏻

• Like 2

Must be mental for the players…

Imagine being at work and having your seasoned manager who has been “in the business” for a number of years go through a bad patch and replaced rather efficiently by a young up-and-comer who has (comparatively) limited experience…

Yet the new manager get more out of you and your colleagues than the old one…

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Purslow said that the Villa job is one of the most sought after jobs in Europe. I tend to agree with him. 

If Gerrard were to leave down the line we would have plenty of suitors. 

I’ve played Football Manager for many a year and there’s only one job I ever try to get….

Scunthorpe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I do think he got away with an error last night and that was dropping Watkins into the Young role. Thankfully we won but I don't think he will try it again as it gave Norwich some more of the ball 

Funnily enough moving Ings might have been better tactically 

I actually agree with you on this. I thought Watkins was very poor in that role, but it's to be expected as he isn't a no.10. 
Also, as much as I thought it was the wrong move, we won 2-0 and he scored from that position....so what do I know!

Just now, BG_Villa_Fan said:

It actually would be, yes. Who was the last Villa manager to leave for a bigger job? Or have success anywhere after leaving? 

First Answer, GT. Second, Joe Mercer. You asked. I certainly wasn't happy when GT left and you'll be hard pressed to find a Villa fan who was at the time. 

So maybe we'll come back to this post if and when SG leaves and if he has been successful it will be very interesting to gauge the atmosphere amongst the chosen. 

My money would be on a very embittered, pissed off fan - base.

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

First Answer, GT. Second, Joe Mercer. You asked. I certainly wasn't happy when GT left and you'll be hard pressed to find a Villa fan who was at the time. 

So maybe we'll come back to this post if and when SG leaves and if he has been successful it will be very interesting to gauge the atmosphere amongst the chosen. 

My money would be on a very embittered, pissed off fan - base.

I wouldn’t be angry or embittered. Stevie Gerrard wanting to manage Liverpool? It’d hardly be a surprise.

Most mid-tier teams doing well with an exciting new manager are going to have their manager poached eventually, same as if they have a star player like Grealish.

I guess the ultimate trick is to be doing well with an exciting old manager that the big dogs don’t actually want, like David Moyes.

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

One things for definite, there were more against a Gerrard appointment than there were for Smith to be kept on. Let's get that right. Some of the reasons against Gerrard's appointment were downright ridiculous tbh. 

Â