Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Im guessing most recent Villa managers have even Brucey did in Championship 

Yep as mentioned above.  Although just to note. after Brucie's 5 game streak we did win 7 of the next 8.

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I hope not, but some of the responses to such a scenario would be very interesting indeed. For now we'll continue to enjoy the love in, that is Steven Gerrard. 

There is a high probability that in 3 years time there will be a lot of fans on sites like this wanting him replaced for whatever reason, it's just the way it is at clubs.  We just have to hope that Gerrard is the exception rather than the rule.  Managers can turn from gods into "needs to go" in a fairly short time and there are countless examples of it across football over time.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

There is a high probability that in 3 years time there will be a lot of fans on sites like this wanting him replaced for whatever reason, it's just the way it is at clubs.  We just have to hope that Gerrard is the exception rather than the rule.  Managers can turn from gods into "needs to go" in a fairly short time and there are countless examples of it across football over time.

Don't we know it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

A very simple way to conform what SG is doing compared to DS  is to ( taking into account he has not been in charge very long )compare DS last 5 games to SG first 5 games....All with the same squad of players.

I don't like to make such comparisons. As the opposition are different and that mindset is different. A guy like Gerrard coming was always going to lift the team. And A new manager usually gives teams a lift anyway. Not the mention the Wolves defeat and Southampton defeat were somewhat unlucky.

What I see on the pitch is a greater focus, and the team has been more compact since the Brighton game and that's continued. Having a man with Gerrard's mindset and standing definitely rubs off on the players. These are the clear improvements I see.

More compact so harder the play through and able to support each other better. Tiki-taka naturally works better the more compact a team is also. Man City are a perfect example of this.

3 hours ago, Philosopher said:

I think that is to do with having the squad train as they play. This has increased the intensity levels, and the team are always ready for a fight now. He is basically unlocking what's already there.

Precisely.....I wasn't expecting anything else, to be honest, in such a short space of time.

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

That figure will not be one to take seriously at any point because it's such a pointless stat.

Surface level stuff.

Take performances as the key indicator.

performances without wins is what is pointless.

Performances are subjective, results are fact.

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

Football is a results business Nick, and they all know that when they join a respective club. I think when managers have done well and then the wheels fall off, its not a good sign, as opposed to some managers just going through choppy waters.

Biesla, doesn't seem to be in trouble or Dyche, so I think there are circumstances where it's not inevitable that managers go......serial losses or long periods of failure to win and yes questions will be asked and pressure applied.

SG will have the Villa Job, well sussed. He knows he can't stay in the job, by win one, lose one, draw one, he has said so himself.....The owners are as ambitious as him, hence him signing, and they will support him to ensure that doesn't happen.

Clubs will always appoint managers with the wrong fit, so sure, sackings will be like tax bills always sure to arrive at some stage.

SG and the owners, will keep each other on their toes, hence a good fit, if SG does not get backing ( which I can't see)he will be off....with his personal wealth, what does he have to worry about , only glory....and its glory that drives him and the owners.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Football is a results business Nick, and they all know that when they join a respective club. I think when managers have done well and then the wheels fall off, its not a good sign, as opposed to some managers just going through choppy waters.

Biesla, doesn't seem to be in trouble or Dyche, so I think there are circumstances where is not inevitable that managers go......serial losses or long periods of failure to win and yes quaestions will be asked.

SG will have the Villa Job, well sussed, He knows he can't stay in the job, by win one, lose one, draw one, he has said so himself.....The owners are as ambitious as him, hence him signing and they will support him to ensure that doesn't happen.

Clubs will always appoint managers with the wrong fit, so sure, sackings will be like tax bills always sure to arrive at some stage.

I think you’re agreeing with me? But I’m not sure 😂

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think you’re agreeing with me? But I’m not sure 😂

If you are saying that fans will support Gerrard even if he is losing games?....I think you are wrong

If you are saying SG will be supported, because he is winning most of his games?......you are right.

My point is....its not personal, a successful manager with us has to win sufficent games, to stay in the job and SG is no exception.

I love the appointment, but I am under no illusions, he has to do the business, no time for sentiment.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

If he needs replacing in 3 years then we replace him. Its not the end of the world. It is good to keep things fresh at the club

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

3 years would be pretty good considering the average lifespan of a Premier League manager.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

If you are saying that fans will support Gerrard even if he is losing games....I think you are wrong

If you are saying SG will be supported, because he is winning most of his games......you are right.

My point is....its not personal, a successful manager with us has to win sufficent games, to stay in the job and SG is no exception.

The key thing and something that many fans don't go along with. Every single person at Villa is dispensable if we identify and recruit a superior replacement.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

If you are saying that fans will support Gerrard even if he is losing games....I think you are wrong

I wasnt

I was just saying there is a high probability he won’t be our manager then blah blah blah

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The key thing and something that many fans don't go along with. Every single person at Villa is dispensable if we identify and recruit a superior replacement.  

agreed, except for Doris the Tea lady, she’s untouchable!

• Haha 3

Â