Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

It's totally what occurred to me too, when we made the swap that is. I was very concerned that we should jettison Smith for a manager unproven in this league - but 3 wins from 4 and nearly a draw with the billion squid squad of citeh - well it's huge, surely the most successful manager swap of the season so far. We all felt the sky was the limit with Smith when it was going well, but we are playing at a level above that now, and only 4 games in and every squad player looking good.  

Second half tonight was some of the best stuff I’ve seen us play in the Premier League. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He mentioned there are a couple of players who aren't quite there with what he wants to do yet. Who do we think they are? Luiz and Buendia? To me everyone looks like they're trying to do what he wants.

Few truths said at half-time he said.

Cash was out of position a few times in that first half and giving Barnes space to play. 

Watkins first half wasn’t great but much improved second half and ran them ragged.

Only guessing really?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I think the main difference is with the midfield.  Hard to believe it's the same players.

We're at peak McGinn again and Nakamba is like a player reborn.

I’ve been the biggest critic of our midfield but right now they’re doing very well. 

I actually think it’s the wide areas/no.10’s where we’re struggling. 

I honestly wouldn’t be against playing McGinn further forward and getting Sanson in there alongside Nakamba and Luiz. 

• Like 2

I think the difference is, under Smith we needed a 5 in midfield to keep it compact. Gerrard has found a way to keep it compact ish, keeping the system the players are used to. We are a little too compact at times as we found out early v Brighton, Man City and Leicester. Whereby they have been able to expose us early from wide positions. I think we still need to find a bit more of a balance but we are definitely on the right track.

Edited by avfc1982am

He’s all Business isn’t he takes no crap from media any stupid questions are shot down. It’s not like Lampard or a few other former players like Gary Neville “oh I’d like to give management a go” this man is deadly serious and wants to be the best.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He mentioned there are a couple of players who aren't quite there with what he wants to do yet. Who do we think they are? Luiz and Buendia? To me everyone looks like they're trying to do what he wants.

Noticed that too, although couldn’t pick out who it would be

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

He’s all Business isn’t he takes no crap from media any stupid questions are shot down. It’s not like Lampard or a few other former players like Gary Neville “oh I’d like to give management a go” this man is deadly serious and wants to be the best.

Yep.

Gerrard is going to the very top.

• Like 1

Just now, tom_avfc said:

This is a ridiculous way of looking at things to be honest. Can’t people just enjoy a good run of form without making meaningless comparisons like this? 

Smith achieved a lot at Villa. If Gerrard can take that and continue to improve us then that’s great. If we had a bad run of form then would Gerrard go to being “small time” too? 

Not really just not doing a good job.

I think it's pretty obvious Smith reached his zenith here. It was a holiday camp at times looking from the outside. No demands were really in place. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

This is a ridiculous way of looking at things to be honest. Can’t people just enjoy a good run of form without making meaningless comparisons like this? 

Smith achieved a lot at Villa. If Gerrard can take that and continue to improve us then that’s great. If we had a bad run of form then would Gerrard go to being “small time” too? 

Oh come on.

It's only natural to compare with the previous coach when you a appoint a manager.

I'm sure we did the same with Bruce when we appointed Smith.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Yep.

Gerrard is going to the very top.

That’s his goal, he completed his reemit at Rangers, he didn’t move at the earliest opportunity, There’s no doubt he has offers prior,  I feel when he moves on from us he will have gotten us to the next level and it will take a very big club to tempt him.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I think it's pretty obvious Smith reached his zenith here. It was a holiday camp at times looking from the outside. No demands were really in place. 

What the hell does this mean? Were you under Harry Potters invisibility coat in the team changing room or something?

You haven't got a clue what the atmosphere and demands were. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Oh come on! Really with this! 🙄

He’s gone now, this is obviously not the case, can we at least have a little respect to somebody who got us here and didn’t leave on bad terms. 

Edited by nick76

Â