Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

26 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

He sounds professional and determined, but it remains to be seen if his take no prisoners, 'elite expectations' will be met by the players. Only takes one bad egg, as Gabby will attest. Hope he succeeds and I'm sure I'll come round if he does, but it's weird that it's him. He isn't easy to love, however sure-footed he sounds.  

We don't have to love him, we just need to give him time and let him do his job. I was sceptical when I first heard he was on the list buy I'm slowly coming round to him. Can't wait for Saturday and I hope he gets a rocking VP reception

• Like 2

Just now, Talldarkandransome said:

We don't have to love him, we just need to give him time and let him do his job. I was sceptical when I first heard he was on the list buy I'm slowly coming round to him. Can't wait for Saturday and I hope he gets a rocking VP reception

Agree, we don't have to love him, professional is enough... if he gets results. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hippo said:

Agree it doesn't. 

We seemed to have a massive hard on for Gerrard from the get go. I can't quite see why. I'm not the CEO I suppose so time will tell .

Don't knock it Hippo.....I have waited a long time for mine.😀

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

He sounds professional and determined, but it remains to be seen if his take no prisoners, 'elite expectations' will be met by the players. Only takes one bad egg, as Gabby will attest. Hope he succeeds and I'm sure I'll come round if he does, but it's weird that it's him. He isn't easy to love, however sure-footed he sounds.  

Best to not fall in love, they never hang around or offer it back! All I ask is he wrings the best out of the players and gets us up the right end of the table. Thats enough for me.

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Interesting to note that Gerrard's contract ends at the same time as Klopp's contract ends.

Personally will be delighted if he replaces Klopp, means he’s done well for us. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Interesting to note that Gerrard's contract ends at the same time as Klopp's contract ends.

Are you sure? Sky reported 3.5 years when he was appointed dismissing the 2.5 years initially thought and squashing the aligning of Klopp/Gerrard contracts and it’s been further reported since its 3.5 years.

Gerrard 2025
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/aston-villa-ready-to-complete-steven-gerrard-deal-pzn9jc5k8

Aston Villa have confirmed the appointment of Steven Gerrard as the club’s new head coach on a 3½-year contract.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/12465848/steven-gerrard-rangers-manager-joins-aston-villa-on-three-and-a-half-year-deal

Aston Villa appoint Steven Gerrard as their new head coach on a three-and-a-half-year deal

Klopp 2024

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2021/10/liverpool-journalist-suggests-ideal-solution-to-jurgen-klopps-contract-plan/

Klopp’s current contract with the club comes to an end in 2024

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

Apparently Gerrard and Klopp were seen meeting at a Free Mason's lodge where they agreed a blood pact before he signed for Villa, stating when Klopp ascends to a state beyond Kop Greatness and life itself, Gerrard will become the chosen one and bring balance to the force I mean Liverpool.

3 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I mentioned it before but the “taking the Liverpool job once it’s available” just isn’t important. ANY Villa manager would leave if Liverpool came knocking. Doesn’t matter who it is. 

Exactly, like even the beloved Dean Smith would've left us for Liverpool.... Who cares what happens in 3 years time, I'm only worried about what we do in 20(ish) hours time.

5 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I mentioned it before but the “taking the Liverpool job once it’s available” just isn’t important. ANY Villa manager would leave if Liverpool came knocking. Doesn’t matter who it is. 

Mate I agree, but what is going to be frustrating is the fact that whole footballing world are already selling this as the “audition”

Look I’m not going to hold that against our manager because he’s not in control of the circus, but I can see why it infuriating to some. 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the Liverpool job will be available next summer. I don't think Gerrard will take it.

He might take it the next time it comes around, but I can't see him replacing Klippety.

Yep. I think that theres another manager in there before Gerrard , maybe even two. I dont see FSG taking any risks 

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Mate I agree, but what is going to be frustrating is the fact that whole footballing world are already selling this as the “audition”

Look I’m not going to hold that against our manager because he’s not in control of the circus, but I can see why it infuriating to some. 

Why let it frustrate you. It is an audition. Gerrard will leave Villa for Liverpool if he is offered the Liverpool job. It he does really well with Villa then that scenario is very likely to happen. So, Gerrard is using us as a stepping stone and his time with us is an audition for the Liverpool job. Don't beat yourself up about it. Accept it and move and and enjoy today as opposed to worrying about tomorrow

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Why let it frustrate you. It is an audition. Gerrard will leave Villa for Liverpool if he is offered the Liverpool job. It he does really well with Villa then that scenario is very likely to happen. So, Gerrard is using us as a stepping stone and his time with us is an audition for the Liverpool job. Don't beat yourself up about it. Accept it and move and and enjoy today as opposed to worrying about tomorrow

I think you may have misunderstood my post mate, or I’ve just worded it badly. 

I have absolutely no issue with the fact that Liverpool may want SG in the future, or indeed the fact that SG may one day want to manage Liverpool. 

I just worry that the constant media circus could prove a distraction. In his first press conference the rags are questioning him about another job, it’s a joke. 

And again, that isn’t a criticism of our manager who I thought dealt with those questions very well. 

Â