Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

11 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

The players fitness levels have more to do with not having a proper pre season since before COVID. You look at all the soft tissue injuries some of the players are receiving and that can be a direct result of the non stop playing and players not having a proper recovery.

The only thing double sessions will do is increase the chance of injury.

Low confidence does not stop the ability for a player to pass the ball, nor excuses that they don’t understand the plan, because they have been playing a similar system for two seasons. But poor decisions eg passing can be attributed to fatigue.

Every week of training you miss, you lose three weeks of fitness, so players who have long term or multiple injuries are always playing from a compromised fitness level until they get time on the pitch to get back to the level required.

All the international players haven’t had a proper break and not only is there physical preparation compromised but also psychological profile which can also lead to fatigue and poor decision making eg McGinn, Luiz, Martinez, Mings etc.

To lay it all at the feet of the ex manager is simplistic.

In the interviews with Beale he mentions the impact of the high intensity training being responsible for the injuries when klopp first went to Liverpool. The players then reacted physically he reckons and they got used to it.

So you'd think we can expect some more injuries if they being in the high intensity training, hopefully they get used to it quick!

Just now, romavillan said:

In the interviews with Beale he mentions the impact of the high intensity training being responsible for the injuries when klopp first went to Liverpool. The players then reacted physically he reckons and they got used to it.

So you'd think we can expect some more injuries if they being in the high intensity training, hopefully they get used to it quick!

I don’t have an issue with them requiring a higher fitness level as long as it is incremental loading. The problem lies in the issue that the players haven’t had a proper break or pre season. You need a base fitness to work off and sadly it hasn’t happened since before COVID. There’s some good people at the club on the sports science end, I’m sure they’ll draft a plan.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Unless he is a complete idiot he won't introduce high intensity training mid season. 

Rest is a very important part of fitness. Overload on top of overload will just cause fatigue and injuries.

There are lots of references to our pre season and how it is a significant contributing factor to Dean's results. What was so wrong with our preseason. We had our game against Forest cancelled and then the game against Sevilla was cancelled but we rescheduled and played Salernitana the following day. So is it the fact that we had a friendly game against Championship side Forest cancelled on July 28th the cause of our slump? 

1 hour ago, StewieGriffin said:

Has he actually started yet? I assume the non-internationals are training, yet there's been no "Photos of Gerrard's first day!!" stuff from the club 

I think I read that he starts tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

He has got a point :)

"Thief in the night"? Strange kind of thief that puts valuables in your house then leaves. If he wins the league here I will forgive him if he leaves without giving me a hug.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I think you’re most excited about sorting that midfield department out, increasing the intensity and workrate and so on right?

It’s something I am enthusiastic about and encouraged to see… but I also want to see composure on the ball and to see us pass the ball about with ease, an ability to dictate play and control the tempo of the game as required… I want to see a high level of technical prowess in our midfield, coupled with a tenacious/aggressive approach.

I have high expectations of him in that sense… it’s our weakest area imo.

ditto.

Â